Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the SOB off. It does not have a Lovejoy coupler. It has a solid coupler with a set screw on the crankshaft. The pump shaft was rusted into the other side of the coupler. That brings me to my other question. How much of a beating can one of these pumps take? I may have gotten angry and used a bigger hammer! :cool: 20240312_191300.jpg

Today I watched my toddler grandson for about 9 1/2 hours. Among other things he dug around in my raised bed vegetable garden, picked up sticks in the yard, ran all over the yard, played with my tools, and climbed on everything in sight. I took him to the park and zoo also. At those locations there was non-stop climbing and running around. He was enamored with the row of light duty truck snow plows lined up against the fence at the park... checked out 6 or 7 of them. I brought him to that area so he could see the big excavators working on the property next door to the park... one was running a hydraulic hammer breaking rock. He wasn't interested in them... I assume it was because he had snow plows he could touch.

I'm training him early for hanging out with me and hopefully do a moderate bicycle trip (I'll be really freak'n old by the time he can do it! LOL).

It's a good thing I saw him throw a carpenter's pencil in the trash can as when I went retrieve it I also found 4 nail sets, two Klein screw drivers, and other tools in the trash also!

Here's a couple samples of what he got into... He climbed off the porch into the space between the house and shrubs. He was trapped there. I had to lift him out. He really enjoyed a mud puddle too--note the fresh tracks in the mud to his right. He'll be 2 in a few months. At this point he cannot tell on me... I did my best to wear him out and send him home absolutely filthy... 🙄

IMG_6566.gif

73196185898__64840DD1-7E0C-455D-864F-9D2A36854B4D.gif

Today I watched my toddler grandson for about 9 1/2 hours. Among other things he dug around in my raised bed vegetable garden, picked up sticks in the yard, ran all over the yard, played with my tools, and climbed on everything in sight. I took him to the park and zoo also. At those locations there was non-stop climbing and running around. He was enamored with the row of light duty truck snow plows lined up against the fence at the park... checked out 6 or 7 of them. I brought him to that area so he could see the big excavators working on the property next door to the park... one was running a hydraulic hammer breaking rock. He wasn't interested in them... I assume it was because he had snow plows he could touch.

I'm training him early for hanging out with me and hopefully do a moderate bicycle trip (I'll be really freak'n old by the time he can do it! LOL).

It's a good thing I saw him throw a carpenter's pencil in the trash can as when I went retrieve it I also found 4 nail sets, two Klein screw drivers, and other tools in the trash also!

Here's a couple samples of what he got into... He climbed off the porch into the space between the house and shrubs. He was trapped there. I had to lift him out. He really enjoyed a mud puddle too--note the fresh tracks in the mud to his right. He'll be 2 in a few months. At this point he cannot tell on me... I did my best to wear him out and send him home absolutely filthy... 🙄

View attachment 1161679

View attachment 1161680
That's good stuff! I had on of our foster kids helping me on a job. More and more of my tools kept coming up missing and then I noticed the little turkey giggling. I started watching him and one by one he was talking my tools out of my box and dropping them through oan open register hole in the floor that had no duct on it yet! To the crawlspace I went!

That's good stuff! I had on of our foster kids helping me on a job. More and more of my tools kept coming up missing and then I noticed the little turkey giggling. I started watching him and one by one he was talking my tools out of my box and dropping them through oan open register hole in the floor that had no duct on it yet! To the crawlspace I went!
I know that story... I did some quick changes in my house when my oldest son was about that age. One thing I did was relocate the washer and dryer as the washer would freeze in the unheated area where it was installed! The waste line and supply lines themselves were in the heated part of the house but the connections were in the unheated.... I removed the waste line and left the hole through the floor. I kept hearing a "bong, bong, bong" noise and finally figured out my son was dropping toys through the hole and they were hitting duct work in the basement. He was in diapers and wasn't talking yet, but I had him nail a piece of aluminum coil stock over the hole using a 7 oz. hammer and tacks. My other son, the father of the boy in the photos, has already had him help assemble things like a cat tree using an Allen wrench. Family traditions!😉

You like synthetic over conventional, Kubota oil is conventional , people say don’t use synthetic , then others say ok 🤔 dealer says conventional, what the hell do they know,Lol
We were an industrial kubota dealer at the machine shop. Biggest issue we had with 15w40 was cold weather cranking. Either going to a 5w40 synthetic or a 5w30 Dino almost always solved that issue. Seemed to affect the smaller 3 cylinder and every 2 cylinder engine we came across. Wasn't just a kubota issue either, Perkins, Yanmar, and Shibora all had the same problems. Moat notable was husqvarna walk behind concrete saws. Local company bought 10 of them over summer, did the first oil change then that winter non of them would start. We got them in the shop and had no issues starting them. Wasn't till talked with kubota and left them sit outside in the cold that we realized the issue. Kubota reccomended switching to a 5w30 oil. At the time it was rather difficult to get, so we eneded up getting it from a local tractor dealer. (Kubota branded oil) solved the problem. The engine cranked noticeable faster with the lighter oil.
Manufacturers usually only reccomend oil they have tested, there are more then a few that are stuck in the stone age when it comes to synthetics. However the dealers can get the specifications of what oil has to meet, so virtually any oil can be used as long as it meets the minimum requirements of the mfg. Since we have the SAE and they govern minimum oil requirement any diesel rated oil, conventional or synthetic, will work just fine. I perfur synthetic, it doesn't break down as fast as Dino oil and has better lubricity, film strength and tolerates high heat better. Any of the old can't mix, makes gaskets leak bs you hear is from the first synthetics thay came out and was pretty much all a load of crap at this point.
I use 5w40 t6 Rotella in all my diesels, trucks,tractors and generators, but did switch to a Mobil delo 15w40 synthetic when I couldn't get it over covid. Only thing that didn't get it is my kubota. It just cranks over too slow during winter with a 15w oil in it.

We were an industrial kubota dealer at the machine shop. Biggest issue we had with 15w40 was cold weather cranking. Either going to a 5w40 synthetic or a 5w30 Dino almost always solved that issue. Seemed to affect the smaller 3 cylinder and every 2 cylinder engine we came across. Wasn't just a kubota issue either, Perkins, Yanmar, and Shibora all had the same problems. Moat notable was husqvarna walk behind concrete saws. Local company bought 10 of them over summer, did the first oil change then that winter non of them would start. We got them in the shop and had no issues starting them. Wasn't till talked with kubota and left them sit outside in the cold that we realized the issue. Kubota reccomended switching to a 5w30 oil. At the time it was rather difficult to get, so we eneded up getting it from a local tractor dealer. (Kubota branded oil) solved the problem. The engine cranked noticeable faster with the lighter oil.
Manufacturers usually only reccomend oil they have tested, there are more then a few that are stuck in the stone age when it comes to synthetics. However the dealers can get the specifications of what oil has to meet, so virtually any oil can be used as long as it meets the minimum requirements of the mfg. Since we have the SAE and they govern minimum oil requirement any diesel rated oil, conventional or synthetic, will work just fine. I perfur synthetic, it doesn't break down as fast as Dino oil and has better lubricity, film strength and tolerates high heat better. Any of the old can't mix, makes gaskets leak bs you hear is from the first synthetics thay came out and was pretty much all a load of crap at this point.
I use 5w40 t6 Rotella in all my diesels, trucks,tractors and generators, but did switch to a Mobil delo 15w40 synthetic when I couldn't get it over covid. Only thing that didn't get it is my kubota. It just cranks over too slow during winter with a 15w oil in it.
Good info , Sean

I'm completely out of 2x6's, so today I sorted out some logs to mill,

Resized-20240312-133007-S.jpg

Now to get them milled!

SR
That looks more like live edge 2x4's to me lol.
Nice fork :).

Latest posts

Back