Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any of you scroungers looking for some wood, coming down tomorrow. Should be ready to burn in a few yrs since the property owner waited til it was full of sap šŸ™„.
Bring your saws, proof of insurance, and be prepared to repair the yard if you damage it. I know what I've got, HVCW(highly valuable cotton wood) :laughing:.
View attachment 1163040
IIRC many years ago zogger was cutting a big cottonwood and it fell the wrong way back into a pond like that. Can still hear him laughing.

Forgive me, I confess .... I use CI on a Coleman stove when camping all the time. It's so much quicker. In my defense, I'll say "I'm Hungry!". I do do biscuits in a CI DO over charcoal. Stews and gumbo the same way. Does that count toward my penance?
Old Coleman white gas and kerosene appliances are the best
1710832146237.png
1710832479787.png
1710832499655.png

Thanks for the video, I learned something, guess I'm still alive :).
So watching that makes me think the unloader valve cap is missing. Could it be missing and then the unloader valve backed out causing the issue.
the unloader/changeover adjustment should under the small plug. Big plug should be the check valve. I'd check both out.

the unloader/changeover adjustment should under the small plug. Big plug should be the check valve. I'd check both out.
May or may not get to that today, gotta get that cottonwood down and as much out as possible if the ground is frozen good enough, the ground is pretty spongy since it's 100% clay :baba:. If it goes well I have a couple at the house that I was hoping get this winter when it froze up, which never really happened when I was available. I figure if I'm gonna have a fire, might as well have a big one.
Now no fighting men, stop pushing, let's be gentlemen about this! I know it's a prize opportunity but...... Lolol
Looks like your first, got your proof of insurance šŸ˜†.
IIRC many years ago zogger was cutting a big cottonwood and it fell the wrong way back into a pond like that. Can still hear him laughing.
Good times lol.
I've dumped a few into the river on purpose, then skidded them out and up the hill with the skidding winch on the tractor. Sure is nice having options. Unfortunately this is a really nice yard and there's nowhere to sneak the tractor in without pads of some sort. While it pays, it doesn't pay enough to buy pads at the current new pricing :envy::envy::envy:.

That was a fun one, the hill was killer, had to set up a rope just to get up it. All the slash cut 1-2" tree stumps on the hill were a special treat to :buttkick:.
20210427_165618.jpg20210429_194339.jpg20210429_200151.jpg

I used to travel to do warranty work for the Class 7/8 truck upfitter that I used to work for and we would check large bags of tools, never carried them on though and we often got searched because we could not check the battery packs, those had to carry on for some reason, so one of us would always have a back full of power tool batteries

Obviously a Husky guy but always wanted a 026, 044, and 064. Neat vintage saws.
I have my grandfathers slant fin 044, which is in my profile pic. It is a nice saw, it took some getting used to as I was used to running my low rpm torque monster dinosaurs and dads tractor torque 702 echo. The Stihl loves the rpms so I was constantly stalling the chain in big stuff until I learned that the Stihl does not come alive until the others are about finished RPM wise.

No, sir, not switching brands. But a 026, which is what I also think it is, would be the pic of the litter out of that bunch.
You have a dang good eye, I searched an 026 cylinder on eBay and it matches that one exactly. Hopefully it is not trashed, I will get the plastics for it if it'll run

I have my grandfathers slant fin 044, which is in my profile pic. It is a nice saw, it took some getting used to as I was used to running my low rpm torque monster dinosaurs and dads tractor torque 702 echo. The Stihl loves the rpms so I was constantly stalling the chain in big stuff until I learned that the Stihl does not come alive until the others are about finished RPM wise.
I still have my slant fin, red lever, 044 that I purchased new a long time ago. You can ask Matt or SVK how it runs.

If you want any advice on how to make it a screamer, let me know. I did NOT do any port work to mine, but it does have some mods.

Totally different saws. 026 is a pro model, 028 is in the clamshell series (awful to work on).
028 has a standard cylinder, split magnesium case. Don't know how hard they are to work on though. My understanding was the clamshells are the 029/290s and the like.
Screenshot_20240319-075602_Amazon Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20240319-075434_Google.jpg

Latest posts

Back