Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EXACTLY, that's why I bought a second set last week,

Resized-20240311-152739-S.jpg

HLA's, rated for 4,200 pounds,

Resized-20240312-132531-S.jpg

SR
Mine I got off a smaller forklift. Not sure what they are rated at, I'm certain it's more then my little tractor can lift, which is fine since it's way more then I can lift. I really need to get around to adding a finger like yours. Really like that design.

Attachments

• 20230905_153432.jpg
    20230905_153432.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Shame they’re all clams except for the 55View attachment 1163267
You can put a 346 top end on the 350s and have a nice little saw, and a 450 top end on the 435. Also the clutch cover from the 455 fits the 346 chassis of saws and the 359/357 chassis, it's a nice upgrade from the stupid little side tensioner in the bar slot.
But I wouldn't be paying that kind of cash, and the 55 isn't anything special to me, I'd rather have the 435 with a 450 top end, nice little modern saw with quick clips for the filter.

You can put a 346 top end on the 350s and have a nice little saw, and a 450 top end on the 435. Also the clutch cover from the 455 fits the 346 chassis of saws and the 359/357 chassis, it's a nice upgrade from the stupid little side tensioner in the bar slot.
But I wouldn't be paying that kind of cash, and the 55 isn't anything special to me, I'd rather have the 435 with a 450 top end, nice little modern saw with quick clips for the filter.
I used to really like the 346/350 combo. Called them the grandpa mod. Super light set up for a 50 ish cc saw. Good power. Really no downsides imo. I have the last one I started just sitting on my bench waiting to be finished for years now.
Thanks for the reminder about the 455 clutch cover, I had forgotten about that and I agree it's light-years better then the stupid old design.

I used to really like the 346/350 combo. Called them the grandpa mod. Super light set up for a 50 ish cc saw. Good power. Really no downsides imo. I have the last one I started just sitting on my bench waiting to be finished for years now.
Thanks for the reminder about the 455 clutch cover, I had forgotten about that and I agree it's light-years better then the stupid old design.
Air leaks are a big weak point, I have one here that has one. Just need a couple more hrs in the day to get to it, sounds like you can relate.
It's a very nice upgrade for sure. I can't stand a front tensioner, and many guys raz me about it; but that's fine, to each his own.
The 3 series saws were a great saw with all the modern upgrades, but the little guys with that tiny tensioner :dumb:, still better than a front tensioner though :yes:.

Start with a Muffler Mod. Either replace the muffler cover with a dual port, or drill 2-1/4" holes on the right side of the cover (above interference with the saw). Make sure you remove the muffler cover before doing this and clean it well before re-installing. I often screw the muffler cover to a board on my trailer to drill it.

Also, replace the air filter with a hi-flow unit, like an HD-2 or steel screen winter filter.

Next, remove the flywheel and file the right side of the key .020 above the part that fits in the crank. Insert the flywheel and turn it against the key, then tighten it. It will provide about 6* of timing advance. (The nut holds the flywheel in place, make it tight or the key will shear). Also, make sure you clean the surfaces well.

Next, pull the plug and check the squish. You can usually do a base gasket delete. Remove the cylinder, scape off the gasket, clean the surfaces very well and glue the cylinder down. This will likely give you about .020 squish. It will boost compression, and the length of your power stroke!

Depending on your cylinder, porting may help. The Red Lever saws were generally made late in the 044 cycle before the 440. They generally had good porting (My P+C is KS). I liken the red lever saws to the Muscle Cars made in the late 60s as they achieved a temporary "peek".

Brake cleaner works well for cleaning all these surfaces. If they are not clean, your flywheel with spin and your cylinder will leak.
What is the difference in the 044s through their production? All I know about this one is it is a 10mm but it does not have a red lever and he used to have a few people pestering him to buy it.

I know it already has the HD-2 filter on it, other than that it is completely bone stock, he bought it brand new.

Ok for those curious I did pretty much confirm that the mystery Stihl saw in that lot I got was an 026. Bad news is it is pretty rough and missing a lot of stuff. Good news is it does pull over but the thumb test on the compression was kinda meh, so I suspect the P/C is smoked but I did not have a lot of time to look at it.

The McCinderblock ran with gas poured in it, probably needs a carb rebuild and good to go

The other saw that was in the back of the photo is a Craftsman "Turbo". Looked like a Poulan. The muffler was off and the piston looked ok so I slugged some gas in the port and she fired off too.

The 031 pulled over and seemed to have decent compression so I think it will run but is missing some stuff.

One of the XL12s was locked up, another 2 pulled over, dont know about compression since they have no plugs in them, and then the super XL runs good.

So for $100 I got 8 saws, 3 that fired on prime and probably another 1-2 that will run with a little work.

Did somebody or 30 of you mention coffee?
1710938515660.jpeg
Black Silk is my normal Sam's club buy. $12 to $14 bucks for over 40 oz. The Diablo is an occasional treat. It's a little spendy.
Here are some thrift store scores:
1710938658840.jpeg
1710938679809.jpeg
Never had a bread machine before. The little cast iron pans were too cute to pass on. Little half quart sauce pan and tiny skillets.
Cheated with the bread machine and baked english muffin bread.
1710938853940.jpeg
Toasted it in my stovetop toaster.
1710938902517.jpeg
And that's the rest of the story. Good day.:drinkingcoffee:

The only way, grind mine every morning 👍
I'm a bit envious, I'm 100% not a morning person and getting up much earlier then I already do is rough, so we don't make a habit of grinding beans, just dump the cheapo store gerund stuff in the coffee maker and call it a day. On occasion we'll get a small bag of beans and grind them for the weekend. But I'm not worried about getting up at 4am either.

Latest posts

Back