Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I don’t know if you guys remember, but the team that beat my son’s basketball team in the playoffs ended up winning the state championship with a margin of victory of 38 points. They beat us twice this year and the closer game was 41 point differential.

The only teams they lost to this year were 4A schools and they are single A.

Three of their starters made the all tournament team. Their best player graduates this year, but they only have one Junior starter and everybody else is a freshman or sophomore. Guessing they’ll probably have a three peat if they keep up at this pace.

Attachments

• 20240324_080923.jpg
    20240324_080923.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240324_080958.jpg
    20240324_080958.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240324_082341.jpg
    20240324_082341.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Same here KK

Just remember that the animals that supply our meat fertilizes their greens. 🤣

Yesterday's rain brought this mess this morning. We could hear trees and branches snapping off last night. The last one I heard was at noon today.
So let me get this right. You are saying the vegans eat shite?

Party on the Island. :rock2: HAPPY BIRTHDAY @Kodiak Kid. :cheers: Don't get to "overloaded". :laugh:
Same here KK
So let me get this right. You are saying the vegans eat shite?
In a certain sense yes by way of recycling manure.

Walking around the house today I saw this little fellow popping up out of the lawn. My guess is that it flowered in last weeks warm spell. We didn't plant this in the grass. It is a volunteer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240324-143151_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240324-143151_Gallery.jpg
    716.5 KB · Views: 0
Awesome, thanks for helping out.

Your cylinder has 2 lines going to it but one is hard piped through the trunion stub and the other connection is flex hose. This complicates things a bit, but not a huge deal.

One thing to check real quick is the lovejoy coupling between the pump and engine. The setscrews can back out and the coupling halves can work themselves away from each other and become uncoupled. I've seen coupling faces just touching to where it spins the pump enough to move a ram but slips under load. So check your coupling.

View attachment 1164206

Installing a gauge in a tee at your supply line from your pump at your valve (the fitting in the other picture) will suffice for now without blocking anything off. You'd have to disassembly the valve from the cylinder in order to block the ports off properly. I can't tell from the picture but I'd say the fitting at your valve is fixed so when you loosen it, the hose will spin with it. So like you said, you may have to remove the hose from the pump end first.

Your valve specs, according to this parts diagram shows 3/4" NPT IN/OUT ports and 1/2" NPT work ports.
Well shoot. Thought you had a good idea about the set screws, and you did, but the set screws were both tight and the key was in place.
IMG_2680.JPG
Strike two was the farm store, Rural King. Their web site showed they had the caps/plugs I needed to cap off the inlet side of the cylinder as in the video. Got down there and nothing like it on the shelves. Lot of mismatched inventory. Rural King's website sucks! This isn't the first time. very unreliable.

In case I do have to take the control valve off, how is it mounted? I see where the hard pipe goes into the cylinder as you pointed out, but I don't see how it's held in place.

In better light, I do see both of my high pressure lines have a fixed cone fitting on one end and a swivel cone fitting on the other. So disassembling wherever I need to should not be a problem. After I order the cap/plug I can cap off the inlet side of the cylinder here.
IMG_2683.JPG

I really want to put the gauge here:
IMG_2684.JPG
but you can't remove the NPT ell end from the control valve without removing the control valve. so I'll probably install it on the bottom side of the control valve.
IMG_2676.JPG

Made a little bucket box for wood . Found I can put too much in it and it won’t lift . Kept taking off till it worked still can put twice what I was moving before . Told the wife since I made this and it’s too big for the tractor I need a bigger tractor. She said go for it View attachment 1164407View attachment 1164408

Do you ever drop the back ho? You could modify that box for the 3 point and pick alot more, much easier on the front end too.

20221002_151618.jpg20221002_151607.jpg

Made a little bucket box for wood . Found I can put too much in it and it won’t lift . Kept taking off till it worked still can put twice what I was moving before . Told the wife since I made this and it’s too big for the tractor I need a bigger tractor. She said go for it View attachment 1164407View attachment 1164408
I got a set of screw on forks for my China Loader. I put this load of logs on it with no problem. Next load I put 2 or 3 more logs on it. Going down hill, every time I eased on the brake, the rear wheels came off the ground. Think I need a Ballast Box.
JQ3YFdG.jpg

Well shoot. Thought you had a good idea about the set screws, and you did, but the set screws were both tight and the key was in place.
View attachment 1164397
Strike two was the farm store, Rural King. Their web site showed they had the caps/plugs I needed to cap off the inlet side of the cylinder as in the video. Got down there and nothing like it on the shelves. Lot of mismatched inventory. Rural King's website sucks! This isn't the first time. very unreliable.

In case I do have to take the control valve off, how is it mounted? I see where the hard pipe goes into the cylinder as you pointed out, but I don't see how it's held in place.

In better light, I do see both of my high pressure lines have a fixed cone fitting on one end and a swivel cone fitting on the other. So disassembling wherever I need to should not be a problem. After I order the cap/plug I can cap off the inlet side of the cylinder here.
View attachment 1164398

I really want to put the gauge here:
View attachment 1164399
but you can't remove the NPT ell end from the control valve without removing the control valve. so I'll probably install it on the bottom side of the control valve.
View attachment 1164406

First off, there is a part missing in your Lovejoy coupling. The part is called the coupling insert, or "spider". It's a polymer cushion so you don't have metal on metal contact like you have. You can see your coupling fingers are destroying themselves (circled in red in the below pic). You should replace the entire coupling assembly, but merely installing a new insert will get you by for awhile.
848633-52df4242ecdf27c6ca7f8b03a6fe3f70.jpg

If you scroll down to the second parts diagram here, you'll see it called out as #10 on the diagram. Most farm stores carry them.

The coupling should look like this. You can see where the coupling fingers are isolated from each other and cushioned by the insert.
jaw_coupling_picture.png

I see the key for the engine side is there, but did you verify the woodruff key on the pump side isn't sheared? You cannot see it without removing the coupling half. It will be under the set screw on the pump shaft. The woodruff key is called out on the same parts diagram as above as #35.

As far as how the control valve is mounted, it appears it is held in place by being threaded on the rigid pipe that goes from the control valve to the cylinder trunion. I don't see a bracket anywhere.

Back