Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, there is a part missing in your Lovejoy coupling. The part is called the coupling insert, or "spider". It's a polymer cushion so you don't have metal on metal contact like you have. You can see your coupling fingers are destroying themselves (circled in red in the below pic). You should replace the entire coupling assembly, but merely installing a new insert will get you by for awhile.
View attachment 1164444

If you scroll down to the second parts diagram here, you'll see it called out as #10 on the diagram. Most farm stores carry them.

The coupling should look like this. You can see where the coupling fingers are isolated from each other and cushioned by the insert.
View attachment 1164445

I see the key for the engine side is there, but did you verify the woodruff key on the pump side isn't sheared? You cannot see it without removing the coupling half. It will be under the set screw on the pump shaft. The woodruff key is called out on the same parts diagram as above as #35.

As far as how the control valve is mounted, it appears it is held in place by being threaded on the rigid pipe that goes from the control valve to the cylinder trunion. I don't see a bracket anywhere.
Did not know that about the coupling; don't know when the insert broke. Didn't check to see if there is a key in the pump, just that the set screw was tight. I'll drop the pump since I need to get a new coupling and make note of the key.
You're quoting parts numbers. Do you have a parts list for my splitter? Can you send me a link.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Disregard my comment about the parts list link. I see it now.

There fine old school saws , good power ported there much better, but don’t tell chipper1 , he’s the smart Lol 😆
Fixed it 😆.
If you can find a brand name or part number on it you may be able to find some info on it using Google.
Thanks.
Nice.
I had a never fired one once, sold it, never looked back 😜.
That's my exact splitter. There is a number on there, and they were quite helpful when I rebuilt my cylinder. I got a real person who spoke English and knew what they were talking about!!!
Yep.
Speaking of splitters, mine was acting up today. It's a brave 22 Ton simple unit.
View attachment 1163986
I used it a week ago to split the first half of a load of Red Oak. Today, I got halfway through the second half, and it wouldn't split anymore. The piston moved forward and back just fine, but once it hit the wood, it acted like it hit a crotch piece. And this was pretty straight wood.
The oil level was fine, but it's been awhile since I change it. I only split at the most, 5 cord a year. The air filter was a little dirty. I removed it and it still acted the same way. I removed the exit line from the gas filter and I got a flow of gas.
The hydraulic fluid's level was only slightly down and a little milky, like from air. I changed it about five years or so ago. Any thoughts?

Does anyone's piston not retract all the way? Never noticed it before.
View attachment 1163987
Good splitters.
That's all they retract if I'm not mistaken. There's just a bit of the rod that always sticks out like that.
That's the none adjustable type. Be careful with the cap off, that outer ring is just held in place by 3 or 4 very small ball bearings secured by a larger ball bearing that has a short very stiff spring. That outer ring doesn't take much to pop off and send everything flying. Don't ask how I figured that out.... Nothing to adjust. That was the issue with this one. Pops the detent before the cylinder is fully retracted. The plug on the side above the return port is the system relief valve. Also "non" adjustable in this case.
View attachment 1164000View attachment 1164001View attachment 1164002View attachment 1164003

Just find a local hydraulic shop and give them the number. Any decent shop will have one on the shelf even if its a different brand.
Thanks for the pics. Glad she didn't throw up on the ground out there lol.
Good morning gents. 15° F here this morning. I'd be happier if it were a February morning though. It's nicer than looking at brown.View attachment 1164065
A day like that calls for this...
View attachment 1164067
Got a nice load of 2 year old ash going. This will be good for the day.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Do they still make that stove/ furnace.

Did not know that about the coupling; don't know when the insert broke. Didn't check to see if there is a key in the pump, just that the set screw was tight. I'll drop the pump since I need to get a new coupling and make note of the key.
You're quoting parts numbers. Do you have a parts list for my splitter? Can you send me a link.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Disregard my comment about the parts list link. I see it now.
It wouldn't surprise me if you find your woodruff key to be sheared since the coupling insert is gone. Without the insert cushioning the coupling, when you shut the engine down or start it up, there's nothing to cushion the fingers from slamming into each other. Also, every power stroke of the engine is transmitted metal on metal to the pump. This shock is absorbed largely by the keys. A woodruff key (pump side) is inherently weaker than a regular keyway (engine side).

For instance, if you watch your coupling when you shut the engine off, many times you'll see the engine side coupling will rock back and forth as the rotating mass inside the engine comes to a stop.

If a key gets sheared, usually you'll have a coupling walk along its shaft. In your case, there's enough angular wear on the fingers that they are engaged with each other and the good side is potentially holding the loose side from walking.

I got a set of screw on forks for my China Loader. I put this load of logs on it with now problem. Next load I put 2 or 3 more logs on it. Going down hill, every time I eased on the brake, the rear wheels came off the ground. Think I need a Ballast Box.
JQ3YFdG.jpg
They sure are helpful, I can carry a lot of brush on mine. I hauled a good number of loads of both brush and logs to the bonfire pit today with mine. While there are times I'd like a dedicated set of forks for lifting more weight(get rid of the bucket weight and shift the weight closer to the pins), I like the extra reach the bolt on forks give me, and I can actually flick a log up higher than I can reach with the forks, only try this at home 🤣.
I think you guys both need skidding winches, it's amazing what I've done with mine.

Traditional Basketball tourney snow; Thursday-Friday, again this morning. Only a few inches, but enough to shovel and try some new cross country skis Allison bought me late season.
Working on an (ab)used Harbor freight Cement mixer Seller; "it works"
Hah!
Full grind off the bolts dis-assembly, beat out 20 lbs of set concrete, beat apart a lot of rusted forever parts, all new ball bearings on the shafts it's nearly back together. Wife thinks footing for long delayed back porch But motorcycle gas tank derusting tumbler is the real goal. :innocent:

The boy woodpeckers are beating their beaks off looking for woman round here.
This Pileated has decided seed cakes are good.
View attachment 1164321
Took down a black locust today that they tore the heck out of.
20240324_095435.jpg

saw a pile of grey uglies by a arborist a few miles away friday and asked if i can have them . he said help myself just don't get his fresh wood . got some burning in the boiler now :)
Welcome to AS and the scrounging wood thread Jeff.
Awesome score you got.

Everyone with a tractor who delves in firewooding needs one :)
The little bota hauled 3 loads of blabk locust rounds this morning, and the bigger one acted as an orange power wedge and hauled a bunch of brush and logs.
Dropped an elm too, hope to get some trees planted this yr in the section I cleared for the wifes orchard last summer. These trees were a lot easier to remove now rather than after the orchard is planted, but I really didn't want more wood at this point.

20240324_100427.jpg20240324_095538.jpg20240324_103748.jpg

Morning fellas. Crap weather on the way here too. Looks like winter is coming late, we are looking at a foot of snow overnight. Of course, right after I drained/ ran my snowblower dry and finally bought the boat I've been ogling for a while lol...
Biggest snow fall of the year 10+". If it wasn't for 3-4 hrs of freezing rain it would have been much more . As the crow flies up the mountain they got up to 30"
All be gone by the end of the week, but it sets pruning jobs back away

Attachments

• IMG_20240324_075231.jpg
    IMG_20240324_075231.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240324_075241.jpg
    IMG_20240324_075241.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
No, I believe Yukon(Alpha American) went out of business in '21. They weren't fast enough to develop an EPA furnace. We had it installed when the house was built in 2011. It's been a good furnace but I wish I would've found the Kuuma furnace when I was researching furnaces. The Kuumas are very clean burning and have nice long burn times.

The little bota hauled 3 loads of blabk locust rounds this morning, and the bigger one acted as an orange power wedge and hauled a bunch of brush and logs.
Dropped an elm too, hope to get some trees planted this yr in the section I cleared for the wifes orchard last summer. These trees were a lot easier to remove now rather than after the orchard is planted, but I really didn't want more wood at this point.

View attachment 1164454View attachment 1164456View attachment 1164457

I've never cut an elm that didn't blow into a billion pieces upon impact. :) Don't think I've ever seen a black locust either.

The place is really opening up there. Momma going to be happy to have that orchard eh!

Fixed it 😆.

Thanks.

Nice.
I had a never fired one once, sold it, never looked back 😜.

Yep.

Good splitters.
That's all they retract if I'm not mistaken. There's just a bit of the rod that always sticks out like that.

Thanks for the pics. Glad she didn't throw up on the ground out there lol.

She did barf all over the ground where I was splitting. I took the cap off amd moved it to detent postion then into the forward postion. Everything flew apart. Only found 3 of the 4 balls and said f-it. Bought a new valve.
No, I believe Yukon(Alpha American) went out of business in '21. They weren't fast enough to develop an EPA furnace. We had it installed when the house was built in 2011. It's been a good furnace but I wish I would've found the Kuuma furnace when I was researching furnaces. The Kuumas are very clean burning and have nice long burn times.
there's a bit more to the story then them not being ready for the testing from what I understand, however they made good furnaces. They were pretty high up on our list for new furnaces a few years ago. NewMac went out of business/ doesn't offer in the usa market anymore. Sucks we have less and less options every year.

there's a bit more to the story then them not being ready for the testing from what I understand, however they made good furnaces. They were pretty high up on our list for new furnaces a few years ago. NewMac went out of business/ doesn't offer in the usa market anymore. Sucks we have less and less options every year.
If you're looking for a new old school furnace you should check these out.Screenshot_20240325-075907_Drive.jpgThey were rated coal/ wood until 2016. Still built exactly the same and come with a steel plate to cover the shaker grates. I wonder why? :cool:

Latest posts

Back