Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prices went up Neary $1.00 ft. Here's my quote from yesterday and prices from 21. It's actually not that much more tin then what the roof took on the house. View attachment 1166242View attachment 1166243
At least it's down a bit. Probably a good time to build though, who knows when the dollar will crash...
I spent 7700 on the barn roof including everything down to the F&J channel. The price for the metal was just a hair more than the shingles I really wanted, I hate pole barn steel on roofs, its ugly as heck. So yes, now I have an ugly as heck roof on my barn, but at least it should outlast me :).
When I got my initial quote for the package in 2019 it was over 12k cheaper than when they requited it in 2020, thats a huge difference, LGB!

Lee, there is one like that for sale locally to me, $50

I got my 12hp for $75

Chipper, you like going shed hunting??

That bridge is nice!
I do enjoy it, but haven't been out in the woods nearly as much in the last 20yrs, hope that can change in the near future.
Scrounged this up last night :happy:.
Screen Shot 2024-04-03 at 9.12.20 AM.png

World Engine Production Bases​

Honda produces small engines at 5 production facilities worldwide. Our production capacity is well over 7 million units. Engines for the U.S. market are primarily sourced from the U.S., Japan, and Thailand.
View attachment 1166507

I re-engined a Woods Zero turn with a Predator V after the second Briggs, (interesting motor, came from a failed mower company prototype, found the crank full of small plastic beads. Cleaned them out and it ran for several years before it died, my fault, they don't run long after the drain plug falls out :angry: )
Vanguard was a beast, more power than the Briggs and was running great when I bought a newer mower.
I like the Japanese GX when possible.

The complicating factor with this engine was it had a step down output shaft so not just any eight horse Kohler will work.
Honda made an 8hp with the reduction.

Interesting. I’ve seen many of them including several DU models. Guess i’m not a fan of gold inlay, cause that pristine looks bad too. Learned something today and it’s still early. Thanks for posting up the minty example.
That isn't actually engraving or gold inlay... The image was rolled into the receiver and gold plated. Traditional master engravers would make an undercut, not unlike a dovetail slot, and pound gold wire or sheet gold into the dovetailed recess and then either flatten it or engrave and texture it. When I worked at Williamsburg, Lynton McKenzie stayed with one of the journeyman gunsmiths for a week or so. While visiting we had a get together at the home of the master of the gunsmith shop. At that get together Lynton talked about his work and showed us items he had engraved. In more recent years laser "engraving" has become popular... yes it creates an image but it lacks the texture and depth of field of true engraving. The Cost/Price difference is significant across the three types I mention here! Another way designs have been included on inexpensive firearms was through casting... Below is a Purdey that Lynton had engraved.

When I got back to NY after working at Wiliamsburg my father said to me one day "Williamsburg ruined you." It was a backhanded compliment as I had learned a lot about aesthetics, design, proportions, etc. Whereas in the past I'd throw something together while adding an addition to the house, or making cabinets, post Williamsburg I spent more time upfront trying to make sure the design was classically pleasing which seemed to him like I wasn't working on it. 😉 Me myself... I try but am not in the same league as the finest craftsman I've known over the years. Sadly, most of the greatest craftsman I've known have passed away... lost another last week.
1712158537510.png

I have a few garden tractors, but I rather enjoy this one,

IMG-1405-S.jpg

It will pull a pretty decent load too.

SR
We had one of those big rear wheel, wheel horse years ago. As I recall it had a hydraulic lift/3 point too. Was great little tractor.
Don't we all....
A-men... constantly finding that out about myself.
At least it's down a bit. Probably a good time to build though, who knows when the dollar will crash...
I spent 7700 on the barn roof including everything down to the F&J channel. The price for the metal was just a hair more than the shingles I really wanted, I hate pole barn steel on roofs, its ugly as heck. So yes, now I have an ugly as heck roof on my barn, but at least it should outlast me :).
When I got my initial quote for the package in 2019 it was over 12k cheaper than when they requited it in 2020, thats a huge difference, LGB!
My son was sick most of yesterday, so I got nominated to take off work today. He puked again around 9am and was bouncing off the walls by 10. Said screw it, tossed him in the expedition and ran to Paul B Zimmermans. Got the through roof kit and a 4 foot section of chimney pipe. Few other little odds and ends. Bill was right around $600.00. The kit was $369.00 and pipe $199.00. Which is cheaper then it was when I put up the dura vent chimney on the house. I'm not sure what this brand kit cost before, but it was sitting on the shelf for quite some time judging by the inch of dust on the top of it.
Either way, I need the stuff to finish the shop. Going over to dad's to raid the barn for lumber before I run to lowes and get whatever dad doesn't need. One of my friends is letting me use his commercial account to get the lumber from lowes, so that should save me a few bucks too.

I do enjoy it, but haven't been out in the woods nearly as much in the last 20yrs, hope that can change in the near future.
Scrounged this up last night :happy:.
View attachment 1167040

I like the Japanese GX when possible.

Honda made an 8hp with the reduction.
Hmmmm wonder if it would bolt up? That would be incredible. Would have to be a torgie monster. Those old Kohler cast irons were animals.

That isn't actually engraving or gold inlay... The image was rolled into the receiver and gold plated. Traditional master engravers would make an undercut, not unlike a dovetail slot, and pound gold wire or sheet gold into the dovetailed recess and then either flatten it or engrave and texture it. When I worked at Williamsburg, Lynton McKenzie stayed with one of the journeyman gunsmiths for a week or so. While visiting we had a get together at the home of the master of the gunsmith shop. At that get together Lynton talked about his work and showed us items he had engraved. In more recent years laser "engraving" has become popular... yes it creates an image but it lacks the texture and depth of field of true engraving. The Cost/Price difference is significant across the three types I mention here! Another way designs have been included on inexpensive firearms was through casting... Below is a Purdey that Lynton had engraved.

When I got back to NY after working at Wiliamsburg my father said to me one day "Williamsburg ruined you." It was a backhanded compliment as I had learned a lot about aesthetics, design, proportions, etc. Whereas in the past I'd throw something together while adding an addition to the house, or making cabinets, post Williamsburg I spent more time upfront trying to make sure the design was classically pleasing which seemed to him like I wasn't working on it. 😉 Me myself... I try but am not in the same league as the finest craftsman I've known over the years. Sadly, most of the greatest craftsman I've known have passed away... lost another last week.
View attachment 1167038
Now that screams quality and craftsmanship. Those Remingtons, not so much. As pretty as that gun is, it isn’t my style. I like utilitarian, stuff that works. It’s why i’m a bolt/pump guy. I actually own a one of a kind Weatherby accumark mark 5, in 300 mag. I bought it brand new, in the box, w the factory target. Beautiful gun and i absolutely beat the snot out of it hunting elk out west. It’s no showpiece anymore but it’s killed lots of animals. My kind of gun

Now that screams quality and craftsmanship. Those Remingtons, not so much. As pretty as that gun is, it isn’t my style. I like utilitarian, stuff that works. It’s why i’m a bolt/pump guy. I actually own a one of a kind Weatherby accumark mark 5, in 300 mag. I bought it brand new, in the box, w the factory target. Beautiful gun and i absolutely beat the snot out of it hunting elk out west. It’s no showpiece anymore but it’s killed lots of animals. My kind of gun
I've use everything I own... I've got a couple English stocked SxS shotguns. One is a single trigger and the other double. They are a real pleasure to shoot and hunt with. If I had an extra $200-300K laying around I wouldn't mind having a pair of bespoke Purdey or H&H 28 and 20 gauge game guns... I'd really enjoy upland bird hunting with them!

My BIL asked me to take a look at a saw he took from my mother's house 20+ years ago. My sister thought it should be gone before our mother hurt herself with it. This was a replacement Homelite XL12 for the Homelite XL12 that I used to clear most of my house lot back in 1973. What a mess this saw was. It has pretty good compression based on the rope pull. It has spark. The carb is spotless. The fuel line is another story. The rubber has turned to slippery goo. I'll look tonight to find a new hose. There is a raised grommet on the hose that seals where the hose enters the fuel take.

Attachments

• 20240403_165331.jpg
    20240403_165331.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240403_150342.jpg
    20240403_150342.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240403_150351.jpg
    20240403_150351.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240403_160231.jpg
    20240403_160231.jpg