Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that screams quality and craftsmanship. Those Remingtons, not so much. As pretty as that gun is, it isn’t my style. I like utilitarian, stuff that works. It’s why i’m a bolt/pump guy. I actually own a one of a kind Weatherby accumark mark 5, in 300 mag. I bought it brand new, in the box, w the factory target. Beautiful gun and i absolutely beat the snot out of it hunting elk out west. It’s no showpiece anymore but it’s killed lots of animals. My kind of gun
You realize there is a difference between a mass produced Remington and a hand crafted Purdey right?

I love my BIL, but there is no way in h3ll I’m buying him a Purdey to break clays with

You realize there is a difference between a mass produced Remington and a hand crafted Purdy right?

I love my BIL, but there is no way in h3ll I’m buying him a Purdy to break clays with
The problem with this stuff, like with cars, boats, motorcycles, chainsaws, etc., is that once you are exposed to the possibilities you get hooked and have fantasies!
Also, I'd think a Purdey over and under would be better for clays. 😃

1712191525691.png

Well to continue with the "Other Stuff" theme, I received my Lovejoy coupling from a vendor on ebay. Suppose to be a Lovejoy or Revco brand.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/196244886860

Instead it has MD Inc hand etched on it and appears to be of Chinese quality. Seller doesn't accept returns. I didn't want a piece of junk on my splitter flying apart.

Well to continue with the "Other Stuff" theme, I received my Lovejoy coupling from a vendor on ebay. Suppose to be a Lovejoy or Revco brand.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/196244886860

Instead it has MD Inc hand etched on it and appears to be of Chinese quality. Seller doesn't accept returns. I didn't want a piece of junk on my splitter flying apart.
eBay doesn't like that crap either. Let the seller know it's not what was listed. If they don't make it right, contact eBay and they'll make it right.

eBay doesn't like that crap either. Let the seller know it's not what was listed. If they don't make it right, contact eBay and they'll make it right.
Good idea. I did contact the seller. If I don't hear back in a few days, I'll contact ebay. Thanks! It'll probably work, but it's just the idea of bait and switch that gets me. There are so very few things these days that one can really control wrt buying American. I really wanted to get my splitter running.

You realize there is a difference between a mass produced Remington and a hand crafted Purdey right?

I love my BIL, but there is no way in h3ll I’m buying him a Purdey to break clays with
Yes, of course. Up until you had posted that original photo, i had never seen such a crude looking Remington. The DU guns i’ve seen, equally as bad, if not worse. Sorry, when i skimmed your original post, i thought you got the gun for a kid, my bad. Picked up a beauty for shootin clays though and hopefully you don’t have the jamming issues i had w mine. Cheers

The problem with this stuff, like with cars, boats, motorcycles, chainsaws, etc., is that once you are exposed to the possibilities you get hooked and have fantasies!
Also, I'd think a Purdey over and under would be better for clays. 😃

View attachment 1167186
Out of my price range, I have a Winchester 101 Diamond grade, has the single trap barrel and the double O/U barrel

Since this is the firewood thread...here's a sheath I made for one of my firewooding utensil since it's too wet to do much else. I have 4 more to make today, then another 4 or 5 to make when I hang the rest of my axe heads. I still need to stain then burnish the edges, but these are utilitarian axes and sheaths, not made for adorning walls.

Leatherworking is quickly becoming a favorite hobby.
20240404_084438.jpg
20240404_084522.jpg
20240404_084546.jpg

Since this is the firewood thread...here's a sheath I made for one of my firewooding utensil since it's too wet to do much else. I have 4 more to make today, then another 4 or 5 to make when I hang the rest of my axe heads. I still need to stain then burnish the edges, but these are utilitarian axes and sheaths, not made for adorning walls.

Leatherworking is quickly becoming a favorite hobby.
View attachment 1167251
View attachment 1167252
View attachment 1167253
A worthy effort! My leather work is generally in the utility category... lots of sheaths! Axes, hatchets, ditch bank blade, brush axe, knives.... a few accessories like a money clip and a pouch for holding coins while on bicycle trips. The leather working and sheath adventure started with replacing those on my Boy Scout axe, hatchet and sheath knives. All those sheaths were in horrible condition after almost 50 years and some mishaps (e.g., a hunting buddy chopped without removing the sheath!) I readily admit that it took three tries making the first sheath to get one with which I was happy... it was for the Scout Plumb hatchet. It covers the entire head, slips over the handle, and secures with a snapped flap. It took some playing around to get the welt and creases correct and get the saddle stitches even and straight. I enjoy it too! Show some more!

Latest posts

Back