Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a bar that short? The smaller hole seems to be where the sprocket center should be, no idea about that big hole on the right side, sprocket should be visible through it.
Maybe was used to make a redneck chop saw somewhere along the way.

View attachment 1168343Yesterday and Saturday I got my boat all setup for the coming striped bass run. Then decided to get my brother in-laws out of the swamp. Wasn’t always a swamp, but with all the rain…

Well the Silverado and 4wd wasn’t enough so the BIG JD had to drag it all out.
View attachment 1168342
Getting excited for the striper run further up the coast from you as well. You fellas fishing mostly bait or soft plastics? Here, they mostly prefer plastics in the spring like sand eels etc. First I'll be targeting spring salmon on the fly though, starting this coming Monday. Can't wait.

Managed to get 3 panels on the other side od the shop before I cleaned up for the evening. Dug out the panels I had here and realized I'm going ro have to cut 6" off of the last 5. Guess I'll get to try this fancy new Diablo metal blade out in the circular saw. Goal for the day it to get the roof finished and the back wall anchored fast and covered. Ambitious even for me, but if everything goes well I should be able to get most of it done.

Well I finally got the nerve to go up and de-limb this widow maker white oak. I had one branch that was the size of a decent tree that had a nasty curve and back lean that would have dropped right on to my shed had it turned loose and went that way. I gave it some encouragement with a rope and come along hooked to the tractor and gave her my best hinge and it listened to what I wanted it to do. I did not take any pictures of it, I was just glad it hit only the ground on the way down.

The top leader was not as bad but I put a rope on it too just for piece of mind. Not a bad hinge for an amateur I say. Now I just need my dad to bring his big cable over and I can cut the trunk down with out fear of dead branches smacking me in the head. Using my new 620p on this job and boy that thing seems to get better and better the more I run it.

1712666680149.png 1712666706404.png 1712666740658.png 1712666824936.png

Wife said she was tired of tractors being scattered all over the yard so I brought this one a little closer to the house

1712666850900.png

That was a nice one, some good looking boards. Sure was a nice day for that.
Yesterday I looked at some of the white pine boards laying around lol. I'll get back up there soon to plane them.
WELL, if you hurry, you can help me split a wagon load of firewood before we plane the boards. lol lol

SR

Working our way through the last bit of 1300 cu ft (8ft logs).

20240408_024500-firewood-pile-before.jpg
20240408_024500-firewood-pile.jpg

Recycled a bin into a dumpster for easier clean up of bark and waste that comes from splitting. No more raking and shoveling at the end of the day. Well, maybe a little bit.

20240408_024500-firewood-dumpster-empty.jpg

20240408_024500-firewood-dumpster.jpg

View attachment 20240408_024500-firewood-dumpster-empty.mp4

Met up with @GrizG today was a nice meeting up with a fellow board member . Did some talking and cutting loaded up my truck with oak . Didn’t even make a dent in the tree . I neglected to take a picture of the trunk we left but we’ll get it done IMG_8195.jpegIMG_8189.jpegGizz assesses the plan of attack IMG_8188.jpeg

Met up with @GrizG today was a nice meeting up with a fellow board member . Did some talking and cutting loaded up my truck with oak . Didn’t even make a dent in the tree . I neglected to take a picture of the trunk we left but we’ll get it done View attachment 1168687View attachment 1168688Gizz assesses the plan of attack View attachment 1168689
Yes, it was nice to meet up with SS396Driver!
I didn't take any photos either... Almost the entire trunk is still there and even with the 1 ton truck it will probably take 2-3 loads, or more, to get it out of there. No worries. Between my 92CC Stihl and his 94CC Husky we can probably handle it. 😉

Getting excited for the striper run further up the coast from you as well. You fellas fishing mostly bait or soft plastics? Here, they mostly prefer plastics in the spring like sand eels etc. First I'll be targeting spring salmon on the fly though, starting this coming Monday. Can't wait.
Chunk hearing and blood worms

Just off the coast, Diamond Jigs work great

But in the Hudson, I’ve had my best luck on Bloods and Chunk Hearing

And the trip may cost me some money stopped and looked at this 1996 Ford 7.3 super clean truck absolutely no rust with 142k miles . Seriously contemplating calling tomorrow about it View attachment 1168690View attachment 1168691View attachment 1168692only damage I saw on the truck other than a little clear de lamination View attachment 1168693
Mark, customer of the dealership swung in today. Lives in Pine Bush, very close to the high school

Supposedly has the rockers, cab corners and etc

Said he is asking 6,000

I thought of you

He’s been trying to get me to buy it so I have a home for this 454 I’ve been sitting on for a bit…
IMG_6714.jpegIMG_6715.jpegIMG_6716.jpegIMG_6717.jpegIMG_6718.jpeg

Mark, customer of the dealership swung in today. Lives in Pine Bush, very close to the high school

Supposedly has the rockers, cab corners and etc

Said he is asking 6,000

I thought of you

He’s been trying to get me to buy it so I have a home for this 454 I’ve been sitting on for a bit…
View attachment 1168704View attachment 1168703View attachment 1168702View attachment 1168701View attachment 1168700
Pretty sure I’ve seen that truck in Pine Bush . Getting to the point I don’t want to buy something that needs work . That’s why the Ford caught my eye

Took from 8am till 8pm to get it all done. The back wall isn't fully screwed in place, but good enough for the moment. By about 6pm I was really slowing down. Took the next 2 hours to get the rakes and ridge cap on. I don't know if it was from all the chalk on the roof from snapping lines or if it was just since it was cooling off, but right at dusk the roof got real slick. I was straddling the ridge cap, just counting down screws till it was fastened. I did 20 foot of sure vent on either side, should be plenty for a 30 foot long building. Em-seal for the rest of it. Little annoyed Martin's substituted quad seal calk for geocell. I'll have to see if I can find it somewhere else. The quad seal matches 100% spot on, but just seems super thin and squids out real easy.
Anyway, I more or less met my goal for the day. Hopefully it's not raining when I get home tomorrow from work, then I'll finish screwing the back wall in place. Just have the upper run of screws by the rake to get in it yet. I'll have to predrill them as it's going into one of the main tubes and the tek screws drill ppint arnt quite long enough to break through.

Attachments

• 20240409_202853.jpg
    20240409_202853.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Pretty sure I’ve seen that truck in Pine Bush . Getting to the point I don’t want to buy something that needs work . That’s why the Ford caught my eye
If you decide not to buy it, would you mind sharing the sellers information? Kid I work with has been looking for a clean obs power stroke for a while now. He's at the point he's willing to go out of state for a nice rot free one for the right price. Everything around here is either rotted out junk or priced sky high.

If you decide not to buy it, would you mind sharing the sellers information? Kid I work with has been looking for a clean obs power stroke for a while now. He's at the point he's willing to go out of state for a nice rot free one for the right price. Everything around here is either rotted out junk or priced sky high.
Deal . I left a voicemail about the truck . He’s asking 13k for it not sure if that’s high or not

Latest posts

Back