Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience short bed trucks don’t ride as well as long beds . Case in point mid 90s I had a 87 Suburban I found a real nice 90 Blazer low miles real clean truck bought it sold the burban big mistake . Same 1/2 ton 4x4 with factory leafs on both trucks . Around town I felt like I was off roading in the Blazer . And with a trailer hooked up it was terrible I sold the Blazer bought another comparable Suburban used it for about 4 years and then bought a GMC Savana 2500 12 passenger van which was actually a 3500 because it had the larger leafs and brakes with 8 lug rims apposed to the 6 lug on the 2500 cargo vans . That was a pleasure to drive and tow with . I went on to the Dodge 3500 quad cab 8ft bed CTD best towing and around town driver yet that I’ve owned
You are exactly right. My 2002 Dodge RAM 2500 extended cab long bed is an excellent towing/hauling truck. Extremely stable hooked to a trailer and floats the road as much as a 3/4 ton truck can. Dodge put some springs under those 2nd gen rams, I have had die hard Ford and Chevy dudes comment on the amount of fire wood I can haul and still not touch the overloads.

I still love my old K10 though and I used to drive it every chance I got, unfortunately I took it apart to fix the leaking cowl and rusted out floor/rocker and it has been off the road for 4 years, almost to the exact date. One of these days.

In my experience short bed trucks don’t ride as well as long beds . Case in point mid 90s I had a 87 Suburban I found a real nice 90 Blazer low miles real clean truck bought it sold the burban big mistake . Same 1/2 ton 4x4 with factory leafs on both trucks . Around town I felt like I was off roading in the Blazer . And with a trailer hooked up it was terrible I sold the Blazer bought another comparable Suburban used it for about 4 years and then bought a GMC Savana 2500 12 passenger van which was actually a 3500 because it had the larger leafs and brakes with 8 lug rims apposed to the 6 lug on the 2500 cargo vans . That was a pleasure to drive and tow with . I went on to the Dodge 3500 quad cab 8ft bed CTD best towing and around town driver yet that I’ve owned
I liked how my 07 3500 service truck rode too. But I generally tipped the scale around 10k lbs with my. Crew cab, long bed duel rear wheel. Wish it was a 4x4 but it was a good truck for the most part.

72 Chevy longhorn .9 ft bed on a 1 ton chassis GMC made one tooView attachment 1168833
I wonder if the 9' bed Ford/Mercury used the same wheel base as the 8' Super Cab (not to be confused with the Crew Cab)? Those weren't too bad to maneuver... granted I didn't have to deal with heavy city congestion or parallel parking!

I wonder if the 9' bed Ford/Mercury used the same wheel base as the 8' Super Cab (not to be confused with the Crew Cab)? Those weren't too bad to maneuver... granted I didn't have to deal with heavy city congestion or parallel parking!
Not sure about the fords but the Longhorn Fleetside Chevy and GMCs used a 133 inch wheelbase my 8 ft fleetside is 127 inch . The fleetside longhorn wasnt 9 ft it was 8 1/2 feet . The Stepside long was 9 ft and is very rare . IMG_8208.jpeg

Not sure about the fords but the Longhorn Fleetside Chevy and GMCs used a 133 inch wheelbase my 8 ft fleetside is 127 inch . The fleetside longhorn wasnt 9 ft it was 8 1/2 feet . The Stepside long was 9 ft and is very rare . View attachment 1168927
Lots of wheel bases over the years...! I was most familiar with the 117, 133 and 155 era in terms of specs. The 1970s move from F100, to F100 and F150, and then F150 only that was driven by the unleaded/leaded gasoline split, based on GVW, mandates was interesting too... Seems to me there was a wheelbase of around 105 (?) at some point in there too.

Lots of wheel bases over the years...! I was most familiar with the 117, 133 and 155 era in terms of specs. The 1970s move from F100, to F100 and F150, and then F150 only that was driven by the unleaded/leaded gasoline split, based on GVW, mandates was interesting too... Seems to me there was a wheelbase of around 105 (?) at some point in there too.
GM shorts were 115 inch I’m not well versed in ford or Dodge

The scrambler was a little over 103 inch wheelbase always wanted one . Some will argue it’s not a pickup .IMG_8212.jpeg

This is a Jeep pickup. ;) Only JEEP I ever liked.
View attachment 1168957
When I was in JRHS and HS the guy who lived across the street from me had one of those with a plow. That poor vehicle rusted away before our eyes... holes all over the place along with blistered paint seemingly everywhere else. That was at the intersection of road salt and vehicles that weren't built for road salt in the early '70s.

Pretty much true with any Jeep branded vehicle, on a quiet night you can hear them rusting. My 1987 Comanche was a Northern California truck and is pretty much rust free. I keep it under cover, but here in the great Pacific North Wet, I need to do something on the floorboards. I pulled all of the floormats and insulation, they were holding moisture.

Pretty much true with any Jeep branded vehicle, on a quiet night you can hear them rusting. My 1987 Comanche was a Northern California truck and is pretty much rust free. I keep it under cover, but here in the great Pacific North Wet, I need to do something on the floorboards. I pulled all of the floormats and insulation, they were holding moisture.
My 98 has been in NY all its life . Has 184k miles one tiny hole on the drivers floor and the rocker . And that was directly caused by someone trying to break into it . They tore up the rubber door seals and damaged the rain gutter . Previous owner never had it fixed and it leaked into the car for years . I had to remove and replace the carpet as the drivers side was moldy and falling apart IMG_6748.jpegIMG_6730.jpegIMG_7603.jpeg

I don’t recall ever seeing removing the brake covers and cleaning mentioned in the saw maintenance sections of manuals… nor have I seen it done on saw maintenance videos on YouTube. Knowing what I know now that surprises me.
I've got to be honest, I never read the manuals. A friend told me his brother told him to loosen the bar nuts after every use with his Stihl. I kind of mocked him saying what the hell does a printer know about chainsaws? Then someone here posted a scan of a Stihl manual stating to loosen the bar nuts. Four generations of tree companies in the family, and I have never seen anyone loosen the bar nuts at the end of the day. We would normally have 8-10 saws on each crew. An extra for the climber, two biggies, like a Homelite Super 1050 with a 36" bar and one with a 24" bar, 3-4 XL12's, and maybe an XL925. Ain't no way dad was going to pay someone overtime to loosen the nuts in the evening, then come in early the next day to tighten them. So, I have always skipped the manuals

I've got to be honest, I never read the manuals. A friend told me his brother told him to loosen the bar nuts after every use with his Stihl. I kind of mocked him saying what the hell does a printer know about chainsaws? Then someone here posted a scan of a Stihl manual stating to loosen the bar nuts. Four generations of tree companies in the family, and I have never seen anyone loosen the bar nuts at the end of the day. We would normally have 8-10 saws on each crew. An extra for the climber, two biggies, like a Homelite Super 1050 with a 36" bar and one with a 24" bar, 3-4 XL12's, and maybe an XL925. Ain't no way dad was going to pay someone overtime to loosen the nuts in the evening, then come in early the next day to tighten them. So, I have always skipped the manuals
Never loosened the bar nuts . Never heard of anyone even doing it , what is the purpose?

Latest posts

Back