Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see doing it if the chain was tight when you shut the saw off. If it is tho..........
Yes... Years ago I found references saying that if you run your chains tight it's best to loosen them when done. This so when they contract as they cool they don't strain the bearings and seals of the crank and the clutch cage bearing. That's the theory anyway...

Scrounged this up for free for a possible paint/fume vent in the garage. Brand new, never been installed.
20240410_162329.jpg
When I was getting that she said that she just posted a toolbox and her email was blowing up, so would I like it? Who doesn't want another toolbox, although I have several I'm not utilizing now. Brand new, still in sealed box Craftsman. Also free.
20240410_162342.jpg
I almost feel like Chipper2. :laugh:

Took from 8am till 8pm to get it all done. The back wall isn't fully screwed in place, but good enough for the moment. By about 6pm I was really slowing down. Took the next 2 hours to get the rakes and ridge cap on. I don't know if it was from all the chalk on the roof from snapping lines or if it was just since it was cooling off, but right at dusk the roof got real slick. I was straddling the ridge cap, just counting down screws till it was fastened. I did 20 foot of sure vent on either side, should be plenty for a 30 foot long building. Em-seal for the rest of it. Little annoyed Martin's substituted quad seal calk for geocell. I'll have to see if I can find it somewhere else. The quad seal matches 100% spot on, but just seems super thin and squids out real easy.
Anyway, I more or less met my goal for the day. Hopefully it's not raining when I get home tomorrow from work, then I'll finish screwing the back wall in place. Just have the upper run of screws by the rake to get in it yet. I'll have to predrill them as it's going into one of the main tubes and the tek screws drill ppint arnt quite long enough to break through.
Strong work! Waytago!

Scrounged this up for free for a possible paint/fume vent in the garage. Brand new, never been installed.
View attachment 1169005
When I was getting that she said that she just posted a toolbox and her email was blowing up, so would I like it? Who doesn't want another toolbox, although I have several I'm not utilizing now. Brand new, still in sealed box Craftsman. Also free.
View attachment 1169006
I almost feel like Chipper2. :laugh:
Dang! I could use both. Wish I'd run across freebies like that.

Dang! I could use both. Wish I'd run across freebies like that.
I've been watching for a range hood for several weeks and this one popped up today. If you're patient, and ready to jump, you can get deals. The toolbox she offered up mostly so she didn't have to deal with anyone else. But whenever I'm picking something up from Craigslist, I generally ask if they have anything else they want to get rid of. Lots of good scores that way. Shhhhh... it'll be our secret.

Hi guys. Having a good time in Arizona. National championship game tonight.

The final four games were fun. Granted both teams we were kind of rooting for lost but the best teams definitely won. Should be a great matchup tonight.

Didn't read the last 20 pages. Hoping I didn't miss anything out of the ordinary.
I thought the women’s championship on Sunday was much more exciting. Iowa and Caitlyn Clark and the well rounded USC team. What a game!

Ended up placing 3rd for the men’s brackets in a pool with a bunch of former colleagues.

I generally make my chains snug, as I never want one to come off the bar if I'm cutting some brush. That said, a chain tends to loosen up as you use it, so I see no reason to loosen the bar when you are done using the saw. I have never seen a saw chain get tighter after using it than it was when you started using it.

I like to touch up my chains after each two tanks of fuel (which is why I will often bring many saws), and I check the tension every time I sharpen them. My system works well for me. My chains rarely come off the bar, and they last a long time.

I worked like a dog today, but tax season is almost over. After a very cool start to April, the last two days have been T-Shirt weather, so I can't wait for it to be over.

My daughter Krystle has been a great help as she does the tax work with me and makes up for the fact that I'm slowing a bit with age. She spent the last weekend and the last two evening helping me out, taking some of the pressure off. It really helps.

It is only 2.5 months, but I can't wait to have time to do other stuff, like riding my bike and shooting my guns and going for hikes, etc. I may even play with some saws!

Tax season is mostly at just the right time of year (other than the April part). It is after hunting season, and before the good summer weather, so I generally don't mind working like a dog 7 days a week. But as I get older, my endurance gets shorter, but it looks like we have survived another tax season! We are pretty much caught up! It is a good feeling and a relief. I only had one appointment today, but the emails come in and people call and stop by, and I ended up doing 6 returns. Just the way it goes. (and my daughter did a few more). Hope the rest of you got to enjoy the nice weather!

I generally make my chains snug, as I never want one to come off the bar if I'm cutting some brush. That said, a chain tends to loosen up as you use it, so I see no reason to loosen the bar when you are done using the saw. I have never seen a saw chain get tighter after using it than it was when you started using it.

I like to touch up my chains after each two tanks of fuel (which is why I will often bring many saws), and I check the tension every time I sharpen them. My system works well for me. My chains rarely come off the bar, and they last a long time.
That's about what I do, but my snug is probably snugger than most.
I worked like a dog today, but tax season is almost over. After a very cool start to April, the last two days have been T-Shirt weather, so I can't wait for it to be over.

My daughter Krystle has been a great help as she does the tax work with me and makes up for the fact that I'm slowing a bit with age. She spent the last weekend and the last two evening helping me out, taking some of the pressure off. It really helps.

It is only 2.5 months, but I can't wait to have time to do other stuff, like riding my bike and shooting my guns and going for hikes, etc. I may even play with some saws!

Tax season is mostly at just the right time of year (other than the April part). It is after hunting season, and before the good summer weather, so I generally don't mind working like a dog 7 days a week. But as I get older, my endurance gets shorter, but it looks like we have survived another tax season! We are pretty much caught up! It is a good feeling and a relief. I only had one appointment today, but the emails come in and people call and stop by, and I ended up doing 6 returns. Just the way it goes. (and my daughter did a few more). Hope the rest of you got to enjoy the nice weather!
Didn't get to enjoy it, but I did get to enjoy watching traffic go by on the rd for 1.5hrs.
Drivers side steer tire, that could have been bad. It was a brand new tire, first trip.
20240410_141537.jpg
Then I got to my stop another 100 miles down the road and the second brand new tire of the day looked like this.
20240410_194202.jpg
So I waited 3hrs for the tire guy to show, a lot less traffic at the dock of the store though lol.
When he arrived I told him i didn't want to do his job, but that the tires probably aren't the problem. He started pulling his equipment out to pull the wheel, I suggested he air it up and check for a leak 😏. He did and I found a leak by the valve stem. Then when he pulled the wheel and sprayed it down he could see it was the wheel leaking. Ends up the wheel had a 7" crack in it :surprised3:. Probably was getting bigger as I drove it and it was leaking more and more. Guess the good thing about it is that it didn't break and I didn't take out a car or go in the ditch, or worse!

Didn't get to enjoy it, but I did get to enjoy watching traffic go by on the rd for 1.5hrs.
Drivers side steer tire, that could have been bad. It was a brand new tire, first trip.
View attachment 1169036
Then I got to my stop another 100 miles down the road and the second brand new tire of the day looked like this.
View attachment 1169037
So I waited 3hrs for the tire guy to show, a lot less traffic at the dock of the store though lol.
When he arrived I told him i didn't want to do his job, but that the tires probably aren't the problem. He started pulling his equipment out to pull the wheel, I suggested he air it up and check for a leak 😏. He did and I found a leak by the valve stem. Then when he pulled the wheel and sprayed it down he could see it was the wheel leaking. Ends up the wheel had a 7" crack in it :surprised3:. Probably was getting bigger as I drove it and it was leaking more and more. Guess the good thing about it is that it didn't break and I didn't take out a car or go in the ditch, or worse!

Initial damage caused by impact?

View attachment 1169036
View attachment 1169037
Geez, you're some hard on stuff. ;)

View attachment 1169036
View attachment 1169037
Falken cheap tires !

I've been watching for a range hood for several weeks and this one popped up today. If you're patient, and ready to jump, you can get deals. The toolbox she offered up mostly so she didn't have to deal with anyone else. But whenever I'm picking something up from Craigslist, I generally ask if they have anything else they want to get rid of. Lots of good scores that way. Shhhhh... it'll be our secret.
Yep, can't drag your feet when you see a good deal. I was slow and just missed this. :(
1712831553478.png

If you see this man, do not approach him. He may be closer than he appears. He has killed 2 tires and may be armed with a camera.
Screenshot_20240411_063630_Samsung Internet.jpg

Latest posts

Back