Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you see this man, do not approach him. He may be closer than he appears. He has killed 2 tires and may be armed with a camera.
View attachment 1169051

I mean I don't think it's him but the coppers don't appear to be in a chipper mood. :surprised3: :omg:

I wonder if the 9' bed Ford/Mercury used the same wheel base as the 8' Super Cab (not to be confused with the Crew Cab)? Those weren't too bad to maneuver... granted I didn't have to deal with heavy city congestion or parallel parking!
I would doubt it was the same frame even if it was the same wheel base. The center section of the frame where the cab sits is longer on the super cabs vs the std cab trucks.

Initial damage caused by impact?
I'd say it got low from the crack in the rim and got hot, then separated. But, who knows for sure. They just changed it before that run, the rim had 119k on it and everything looked just fine, but it was worn and about ready to be changed.
With the way the roads look this yr, I've been dodging potholes even on the major rds, could have something to do with it.
Geez, you're some hard on stuff. ;)
Little bit, although I don't think that's the problem since I made it the first 119k without blowing out a steer tire. That being said, last summer I had two tires blow the same week, hoping I'm good for another yr 😆.

I generally make my chains snug, as I never want one to come off the bar if I'm cutting some brush. That said, a chain tends to loosen up as you use it, so I see no reason to loosen the bar when you are done using the saw. I have never seen a saw chain get tighter after using it than it was when you started using it.

I like to touch up my chains after each two tanks of fuel (which is why I will often bring many saws), and I check the tension every time I sharpen them. My system works well for me. My chains rarely come off the bar, and they last a long time.
I have similar practices... The only time I've run into chain tension problems was with new chains. They are fine when I start using them but soon stretch. If I'm doing a lot of cutting with a chain that came right out of the box it is common for me to adjust the tension while the chain and bar are hot. Those need to be examined afterwards for tension... sometimes they need to be backed off a bit.
Vines have been my nemesis when it comes to chains coming off... it's like the vines have fingers that wrap around the chain and pull it off!

I have similar practices... The only time I've run into chain tension problems was with new chains. They are fine when I start using them but soon stretch. If I'm doing a lot of cutting with a chain that came right out of the box it is common for me to adjust the tension while the chain and bar are hot. Those need to be examined afterwards for tension... sometimes they need to be backed off a bit.
Vines have been my nemesis when it comes to chains coming off... it's like the vines have fingers that wrap around the chain and pull it off!
Spot on with the new chains stretching, annoying as all heck!

Spot on with the new chains stretching, annoying as all heck!
In addition to being frugal that is another reason I use chains up completely (and then some) before putting a new one on. I've had a few chains with missing cutters over the years as they were filed beyond the witness marks. 😉

G'day fellers,

I was out to Mitch's again the other day to continue work on the big candlebark. Limby cut like a demon, not going around corners at all unlike the other day when trying to noodle (rain) wet rounds. This side of the log was off the ground and I could cut through without risking hitting dirt.

20240410_102541.jpg

I took a couple of rounds off the end where it bifurcates

20240410_104447.jpg

Then Mitch came by for a chat which was good (for reasons that I'll show you another day) but limited by work time which I didn't have much of to start with so I filled the ute and headed home. Well, when I say filled, enough so I could still roll the soft cover down over it so the fun police didn't pick me up on the way home.

20240410_115205.jpg

Scrounge on :rock:

Back