Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More freebies!
View attachment 1169384
I :heart: the hammers. A few nail puller/pry bars, brushes, saws, rulers, horseshoes, and a few other bits. Plus a framing square - and mine has been missing for quite a while! That was a bonus that I didn't know was there (actually most of the tools were a surprise.)
View attachment 1169385
And a few containers of nails. Meh. At least most of them are galvanized or aluminum.
Hmm. Let's see, I'll take the ...... :laugh:

G'day fellers,

Redgum scrounge!

One of our clients kindly donated an exercise bike to Cowgirl's cardiac rehab program and I went around to pick it up. While I was there, he asked if I wanted some redgum bits that were too big and ugly to go in his stove that were mixed in with some straight redgum that he bought from a guy two years ago.

What a question! Redgum is one of the preferred firewood species around Australia, not quite as dense as ironbark or yellow/grey/red box but denser than the species in the local area and very little ash. I tossed it in around the exercise bike, happy days.

20240411_151127.jpg

G'day fellers,

Redgum scrounge!

One of our clients kindly donated an exercise bike to Cowgirl's cardiac rehab program and I went around to pick it up. While I was there, he asked if I wanted some redgum bits that were too big and ugly to go in his stove that were mixed in with some straight redgum that he bought from a guy two years ago.

What a question! Redgum is one of the preferred firewood species around Australia, not quite as dense as ironbark or yellow/grey/red box but denser than the species in the local area and very little ash. I tossed it in around the exercise bike, happy days.

View attachment 1169431
At first I thought you forgot to take the exercise bike. 😉

I also delivered a ute load to my solitary customer.

20240411_162320.jpg

This is from the Monstromint that I was cutting up around this time last year. Got 6 cord out of that tree, one of the biggest I have ever cut.

13th May 5.jpg

5th May 2.jpg

Most of that wood is stacked outside the wood shed on pallets, some is in the shed for burning this year and I'm burning the uglies now. Moving the wood off the pallets will free up space for upcoming scrounges but I am running out of space there and in the shed so I might have to resurrect Mt Cowboy in coming months :sweet: :yes:

Most of it was splittable with the X27, a few got the isocore and a few got the saw. Kept the chunks big, can make some of them smaller back home.

20240413_145636.jpg

20240413_145656.jpg

20240413_154038.jpg

20240413_154051.jpg

There are some chunks left from today as well as a number of other rounds, uglies and bits and pieces that I'll collect another day.

Scrounge on :rock:

Another "Other Stuff" topic. It's that time of the year and I've just about used up all of my weed whip string and need to get more. I normally use Echo Crossfire 0.095" 250' line which last me two years. I was wondering if there was something better out there? I don't know if regular round line would be any worse or not. Also, does it go bad if left setting for years? I can get a 800' roll for less than the price of two 250' rolls. Always looking for a bargain - lol.

Another "Other Stuff" topic. It's that time of the year and I've just about used up all of my weed whip string and need to get more. I normally use Echo Crossfire 0.095" 250' line which last me two years. I was wondering if there was something better out there? I don't know if regular round line would be any worse or not. Also, does it go bad if left setting for years? I can get a 800' roll for less than the price of two 250' rolls. Always looking for a bargain - lol.
Been milking a big spool of husqy titanium .095" for a few years now. It works ok. I weedwhack about once a month and usually run about 3 tanks of gas through the weed eater. Takes 2 spools of line if I don't get into the fence too bad. Someone gave me some sort of orange stuff with squared off edges that works pretty well. Don't know what brand it is, seems like decent stuff, it's thicker then the normal stuff I use.

OK, back to "Firewood" stuff. After an eclipse break, I installed the new Lovejoy coupling (with spider this time - lol) and put the gauge on a Tee coming from the pressure side of the pump. Fired it up. The cylinder moves back and forth easily, so I don't think I have an air lock at the gauge. The gauge is reading 'zero' when the splitter is running. I extend the cylinder all the way and hold it buried in the plate and the gauge reads 400 psi. I retract the cylinder and hold the valve in the retract position and I again only get a reading of 400 psi.
IMG_2807.JPG
I can't believe I installed the gauge at the wrong place. It seems obvious. Then again, I DO make a mistake now and then - lol. I'm guessing the pump is shot. Thoughts?

Sweet.
I may be adding another 66 to my hoard, another 2166 that is 😀.
I was amazed, when I pulled the top cover off , it looked like everything was new, and all original, piston and cylinder mint not sure if this is going to the sausage factory lol , I have couple other XS 266’s to grab if I want, my nice 288 headed there ,

Latest posts

Back