Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend had a portable fuel tank/caddy. It had very strong loops on top of the container that he had heavy clevises in. He would put the tank on his pickup and fill it. Back into the barn and hook it into a block and tackle, pick it up about 6', and pull the truck out. He could pull tractors or what ever in and it had a handle with a trigger, and gravity filled the tank. I saw another one at a farm auction and it went for more than I had that day. I've looked for one on line and can't find one. I called them tanks, caddies, containers, and have found nothing quite like it. What would you call it? my friends held 30 gallons.

Look for skid mounted fuel tanks. Some of them have sky hooks on them so they can be picked up with a crane/equipment.
Edit, or fuel transfer tanks. I'd have to ask my uncle to be sure, but I think his transfer tank has lifting lugs/sky hooks on it, and I know he pretty regularly takes it out of his truck bed full of fuel, but it's more like 100 gallons.

18 turns on the set screw. 18 back in plus one. Run the cylinder out and hold; same 300-400 psi. Bottom out the set screw at 19-1/4 turns. Run, the same.
ok, you could try shiming the spring with something to see if the pressure comes up at all. Thin washer etc. I'm beginning to lean towards the pump having some sort of internal bypass, as it's about all that's left if you can't make the relief respond to spring pressure changes. But humor me a bit on this and see what happens.
EDIT: Just keep in mind if the pressure keep climbing beyond about 3k psi to let off the handle.

Tree guy came through again . Red oak log calculator said approximately 3500 lbs each IMG_8234.jpegIMG_8235.jpegIMG_8236.jpegand wouldn’t ya know on the way home a tree came down on the road blocking the entire road . Guy in front of me had mini excavator and I had saws . It was all off the road by the time the troopers showed up. They were very grateful that it was resolved . I just had to take it all . What’s a little more overload IMG_8238.jpegIMG_8239.jpeg

Tree guy came through again . Red oak log calculator said approximately 3500 lbs each View attachment 1169621View attachment 1169622View attachment 1169623and wouldn’t ya know on the way home a tree came down on the road blocking the entire road . Guy in front of me had mini excavator and I had saws . It was all off the road by the time the troopers showed up. They were very grateful that it was resolved . I just had to take it all . What’s a little more overload View attachment 1169626View attachment 1169627
Big oak!!

Did a little more on our pantry today. It sure has been a slow process. Only getting a little time here and there. I was just getting in a groove today when I got a call to go help my niece. She has to vacate her house this week and still had zero shelves anywhere in her new house. She's good to go now. Both bedroom and closets, bathroom closet and pantry are full of shelves.

Another "Other Stuff" topic. It's that time of the year and I've just about used up all of my weed whip string and need to get more. I normally use Echo Crossfire 0.095" 250' line which last me two years. I was wondering if there was something better out there? I don't know if regular round line would be any worse or not. Also, does it go bad if left setting for years? I can get a 800' roll for less than the price of two 250' rolls. Always looking for a bargain - lol.
Some of the manufacturers recommend soaking trimmer line rolls/spools in water to keep it supple. Recommendations seem to run from a few hours to overnight and from once to occasionally. Apparently dried out line doesn't always lay out straight at speed and is somewhat brittle and prone to breakage. I know from "inside information" that just because you just bought line doesn't mean it was recently manufactured. Dealers may buy a LOT of trimmer line to reap big discounts. They may sell line from that bulk purchase for 2, 3, 4 or more years after that while increasing the retail price to current MSRP. Based on that, soaking newly purchased line wouldn't hurt. As they say, your mileage may vary. 😉

Man was it a rough day... Finally got around to milling the 30" oak. I had broken one of the ubolts on one side that set the depth on the bar sprocket end of the mill yesterday evening setting it up, and stupidly thought that one side tightened would hold it well enough. I was into my second slab before I realized it was slipping on me. So I got two slabs that were warped as heck. At this point I went home with my tail between my legs to try and fix the mill. Backing up to unload the two twisted slabs, I clip a light pole in my backyard with the custom extensions I made for my guide ladder, absolutely crumpling them.

So off to town I went to buy $120 worth of angle iron and ubolts to fix the guide extensions and mill. Got everything patched up this evening and I'll try again in the morning!

437565135_7678929018794720_6609667297564819816_n.jpg437540082_7679274595426829_3968883942533817147_n.jpg853815-66a1fa9ead0521fdab4b23278e52fd16.jpg

Back