Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used Granpdas old drill to drill the big hole needed, I guess if I was smart I’d get drill bits that step down to fit my smaller drill

But sometimes I just enjoy remembering the man that gave me that drill a few months before he passed, I get to remember him every time I squeeze that triggerView attachment 1170337View attachment 1170338
I've collected tools over the years from people I've respected. And yes, when you use them, you always think fondly of them a little and the person lives on.

Does anyone know if the older 288s had some sort of limiter or governor?
Just got a project saw running…idles great but sounds strange at wot.
I don’t have any limited saws to compare. Sound is similar to an engine bouncing off the rev limiter, to me.
Some Husqvarna saws had coils that limited the rpms.

Yesterday I as pissed off. Last Fall I bought a Craftsman leaf picker upper with a branch chipper for cheap money. It has a Briggs 675 motor on it. I wanted to change the oil in it. The idiots didn't put an oil drain plug on these motors. I had to flip it up and over to drain the oil out of it. What the hell is wrong with companies to do something that stupid.

I cut the lawn with my Cub Cadet 0 turn mower yesterday. Got it in the Spring of 2022, so going on its 3rd year of use.

Checked the oil (Kawasaki Engine) just to make sure I was OK. Not only was it full, but it is still golden yellow! I'm impressed with this engine. Starts instantly every time!

Started the day changing the oil in the 03 Tacoma . Got under it and everything was wet with motor oil . Oil pan rusted out so now that truck is sidelined. Have to remove either the motor or the front diff in order to change it out.
The guy who often works with me cutting trees on the rail trail had the same thing happen to his beater truck. He patched it with fiberglass mesh and epoxy... a few months later it started leaking again. Upon researching the situation he discovered that the temperature range for the epoxy he used was too low. With that he used one rated for a higher temperature. So far so good. As his beater truck, more often than not something needs to be fixed before he can bring it on the trail so this was just another day for him...

Still considering building the main door out of steel insulated panels and having it as a slider on the inside as I have enough room inside to do that. Never seen it done quite like I've been thinking, but that doesn't mean it won't work :).
FIL used a steel panel slider on the inside of his barn. His logic was that he didn't have to shovel snow to open it like if it out was on the outside after a snow storm.

I cut the lawn with my Cub Cadet 0 turn mower yesterday. Got it in the Spring of 2022, so going on its 3rd year of use.

Checked the oil (Kawasaki Engine) just to make sure I was OK. Not only was it full, but it is still golden yellow! I'm impressed with this engine. Starts instantly every time!
Kawasaki motors are awesome. I had Cub Cadet with a 24hp that had over 800 hours on it. It didn't burn any oil and ran great. My present JD X485 has a 24hp watercooled fuel injected Kawasaki motor with just under 2000 hours. It does smoke a bit when cold and probably needs a ring job. Even with those hours this motor is really strong. Hopefully next Winter I can do the motor over in it.

On my "first day of freedom" from tax season, I cut the grass, fixed the fence, and went for a short/slow bike ride. I'll post a picture of the Snapping Turtle tomorrow (was not huge, but they are all prehistoric looking). Also saw about 20 Painted Turtles on a log, but no picture of that.

Hope to get the Blizzak tires off the truck tomorrow before the rain comes, then need to get it inspected this month. So many things you put off during tax season!

Also need to take the plow off the ATV.
With a break in the rain and some discretionary time Saturday we took a walk ahead of my grandson's birthday dinner... We saw this guy on the newly built out rail trail. That section of trail was single track for 40 years and now it's blacktopped. I saw a lot of wildlife there over the years... deer, bear, coyote, fox, mink, muskrat, beaver, green heron, 3 kinds of turtles, 3 kinds of snakes, woodcock, rabbits, squirrels, etc., etc. Much the habitat along the trail was wiped out by the power company tower replacement and the trail build. Little of the wildlife is still in evidence. I was glad to see this guy crossing the trail!

Unfortunately our presence disturbed him. Instead of crossing the trail straight across and using the grassy areas he started moving at an angle as we approached and ended up in the tiny patch of riprap around the culvert. I was afraid things were going to go bad for him!

IMG_6653.gif

Yesterday I as pissed off. Last Fall I bought a Craftsman leaf picker upper with a branch chipper for cheap money. It has a Briggs 675 motor on it. I wanted to change the oil in it. The idiots didn't put an oil drain plug on these motors. I had to flip it up and over to drain the oil out of it. What the hell is wrong with companies to do something that stupid.
That way they can sell you a Craftsman oil drain pump... It's a conspiracy I tell ya... 😉

View attachment 1167833
I have a love hate relationship with drum brakes. They last a long time but what a pain to work on! 08 corolla. Parking brake cable seized of course so it's back to the parts store... Love living in the rust belt....not really.
Might want to pick up some wheel cylinders while your there. The right side in the pic shows it's over extended to me. jmho :cool: OT

I lost a wire stripper a few months ago. I used it one day and vanished the next, I searched everywhere and finally just went to town a bought a new one. Last week I was digging for something in the refrigerator and found the wire stripper. How it got there I have no clue but now I have two.

I lost a wire stripper a few months ago. I used it one day and vanished the next, I searched everywhere and finally just went to town a bought a new one. Last week I was digging for something in the refrigerator and found the wire stripper. How it got there I have no clue but now I have two.
That is the recipe for finding misplaced tools. Don't ask me how I know.:innocent:

Come and play if you dare, Lol 😆 no pick up sticks here, 100cc + allowed 👍View attachment 1170387
Supposedly the 1-76 is out for delivery today... can I round it up to 100cc so I'm cool too?
Old barn doors were all sliders. All you need is a track on the bottom with roller wheels on the door. Up top you need a guard to hold the door from falling out.
The farm I grew up on had 2 huge swing doors on the barn. By best estimate it was built late 1800's to early 1900's. There were 2 other farm houses/ barns not far from us that were basically identical in construction. I clearly remember the hinges. 2 on each door, they were just massive hunks of hammered looking steel (no idea if they were steel or some sort of cast iron.)
Some Husqvarna saws had coils that limited the rpms.
some had the goofy govenor thing in the carb too.

Supposedly the 1-76 is out for delivery today... can I round it up to 100cc so I'm cool too?

The farm I grew up on had 2 huge swing doors on the barn. By best estimate it was built late 1800's to early 1900's. There were 2 other farm houses/ barns not far from us that were basically identical in construction. I clearly remember the hinges. 2 on each door, they were just massive hunks of hammered looking steel (no idea if they were steel or some sort of cast iron.)

some had the goofy govenor thing in the carb too.
Black and yellow are always welcome, 😆👍

Latest posts

Back