Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a break in the rain and some discretionary time Saturday we took a walk ahead of my grandson's birthday dinner... We saw this guy on the newly built out rail trail. That section of trail was single track for 40 years and now it's blacktopped. I saw a lot of wildlife there over the years... deer, bear, coyote, fox, mink, muskrat, beaver, green heron, 3 kinds of turtles, 3 kinds of snakes, woodcock, rabbits, squirrels, etc., etc. Much the habitat along the trail was wiped out by the power company tower replacement and the trail build. Little of the wildlife is still in evidence. I was glad to see this guy crossing the trail!

Unfortunately our presence disturbed him. Instead of crossing the trail straight across and using the grassy areas he started moving at an angle as we approached and ended up in the tiny patch of riprap around the culvert. I was afraid things were going to go bad for him!

View attachment 1170433
My concerns about the snappers were calmed this afternoon when I spotted this frisky pair while surveying the trail for maintenance issues... A snapper only a snapper could love... 😍

IMG_6678.gif

Some Venison Rump steaks from this year's Buck. They were just as tender and good tasting as the ones from the doe.

That long muscle in the rump kinda looks like backstrap, and it is just as tender.

Grilled rare, it was great!

The tin foil has my wives marinate ... including sliced Ginger Root.

Attachments

• IMG_20240409_171200414_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240409_171200414_HDR.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Well look what showed up today. 😁 doesn't run. Compression feels good, didn't check spark and fuel just flows out of the carb. Don't have time to monkey with it right now, but I'm still pretty excited about it.

Attachments

• 20240417_161222.jpg
    20240417_161222.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
We get some big ones up here in mid june. One time one of them ended up on my deck! I heard scratching on the door and there was a snapper there when I opened up lol.
Ahh. Turtle soup! You ought to be able to do something with it. In CL of course!

Ahh. Turtle soup! You ought to be able to do something with it. In CL of course!
A friend of mine owned the bar/restaurant where scenes from the movie Tootsie were filmed. He used to run a contest encouraging people to bring in live snapping turtles from which big pots of turtle soup was made. While technically legal, the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation asked him to stop as they felt it was putting too much pressure on the local snapping turtle population. As a sportsman he was Okay with that... he got it. That didn't mean he never made turtle soup for himself and select guests to enjoy in the kitchen but it did end the big turtle hunt in the area.

This tree service is out of the Lake Katrine, NY (or maybe Kingston or maybe Saugerties) based on their web site. They did a job down near the Pepacton Reservoir earlier this year. Any of you guys familiar with this stretch of road? The shot on the thumbnail looks like Rte 209 between Kingston and Lake Katrine.

Yesterday a friend of mine called from Texas about a great deal for me. Today I picked up his friend's Vermeer stump grinder for free. He said it runs fine and works. The cutterwheel is not sloppy sideways.

Attachments

• 20240417_180901.jpg
    20240417_180901.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240417_180836.jpg
    20240417_180836.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240417_180824.jpg
    20240417_180824.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
My daughters cell phone takes better pictures than mine, so here is one she sent me showing how my tax dollars are being used to ruin my once pristine view up in the Catskills! I'm totally disgusted over it!
Those and solar arrays popping up all over the place in the Hudson Valley and it's awful. I have many associates who are environmental advocates (they won't use chainsaws but they are fine with me doing the cutting for them) who do not accept the visual obstructions, the mining for scarce materials, the huge amount of redundancy that will become waste in what 10,15 20 years, etc., to be pollution.

Those and solar arrays popping up all over the place in the Hudson Valley and it's awful. I have many associates who are environmental advocates (they won't use chainsaws but they are fine with me doing the cutting for them) who do not accept the visual obstructions, the mining for scarce materials, the huge amount of redundancy that will become waste in what 10,15 20 years, etc., to be pollution.
Ridiculous the amount of “solar farms” all over now

Can’t understand why people sell off their land for the nonsense

Latest posts

Back