Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After I unloaded and stacked that, I rounded up the Cowslaves, hooked up the trailer and went back out. I fiskared while they loaded and I burned them off easily. If only they all split like that!

20240420_133842.jpg

20240420_133822.jpg

Cowlad had a crack at one of the big rounds and despite still being a bit under fighting weight, he was able to split it down to size.

20240420_133811.jpg

I'll be out tomorrow morning to pick up the rest. Took a cord today, prolly 2/3 of a cord left I guess.

Scrounge on :rock:

Hello 20 ton excavator. He held 'em, I cut 'em. Then he'd split the biggest rounds (~30in) with a good poke

View attachment 1171203
I wish I had a 20 Ton splitter like that. But isn't that kinda like cheating? At least for you? I thought you were a purist and split everything by hand?

What did you have to do to make that new style handle fit the 266?
And, does that standard flag work with it?
Sure looks nice.
Honestly it took like 45 minutes from start to finish, I’ve done a couple before, so I know what to do quickly, No issue with brake flag , cut weld that joins the front lower piece together, then we’re they over lap each other, cut right side piece so there’s no overlap, then a little bending involved to even them up , drill another hole so it lines up with saw mounting hole , rear single piece mount on clutch side, some lower trimming at bottom to make fit , the holes line up so no need to drill new ones, and just a little fitting hear and there, done , like I said before, if you done it before it goes quickly, but first time might be a little longer,

That's a heck of a score.
You need that trailer.
Yes and yes. The kicker is that the developer has an excavator on site occasionally. And he apparently wants the pile to dissappear (the guy he had never came to collect the wood.) So I bet for a few bucks or a case of beer he would load the trailer until it was gone.

Unfortunately, I don't see being able to get the trailer in a timely manner for this project. :cry: Oh well, looks like I get to do it the old fashion way!

I dug into trying to fire up that stump grinder yesterday that I got for free. The motor was all wrapped up when I picked it up and I didn't bother to check it out. I took the guy's word on it running, LOL. This grinder was at his buddies house. He told me it was a V465D. Nope, it's a VH4D 30hp motor. First thing was to check the oil. It was clean and full. I installed a battery on the unit. As soon as I hooked up the cables the starter motor engaged and the motor started turning over. I yanked the cable off immediately. The Ford style starter solenoid which appeared to be fairly new was junk. My guess is that it got fried inside and no longer disconnects. I took the cables off the solenoid and there is continuity thru the solenoid, burned up for sure. Next I found this pile of parts in front of the motor. This is the ignition coil. The damn thing exploded and melted. I have a new solenoid coming today. No parts store near me had one in stock. A new coil will be arriving tomorrow. My guess is that somebody tried to jump start this motor using a 24 volt Bobcat. I did check out the wiring and that all appears to be fine. This motor has a built in stator for charging the battery. I hope they didn't fry the stator and regulator. I also pulled the starter apart to grease up the armature ends and bendix. I also cleaned up the armature where the brushes ride. At least this piece of equipment was free. Has anyone ever seen an ignition coil blow up like this?

Attachments

• 20240419_164251.jpg
    20240419_164251.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Yes and yes. The kicker is that the developer has an excavator on site occasionally. And he apparently wants the pile to dissappear (the guy he had never came to collect the wood.) So I bet for a few bucks or a case of beer he would load the trailer until it was gone.

Unfortunately, I don't see being able to get the trailer in a timely manner for this project. :cry: Oh well, looks like I get to do it the old fashion way!
I've got these two big piles sitting in my pasture but can't get free to cut on them ! I did take ho chi mien ( an Amazon no name saw that came in a bundle of saws) out there for testing but that's all I've cut out of it. I'm in a pickle on
ho chi mien. Someone went nuts with a file and destroyed the chain. The saw is running great but I expect it to fly apart into a million pieces at any moment so I hesitate to invest in a new chain for it. I have at least 50 chains I've picked up at sales etc. but not one that fits it! Go figure.

I could use poplar... need to trim out my house and make new Shaker cabinets for the kitchen and bath... All to be painted. For that project and new floors I bought a power feeder for use on my cabinet saw, jointer, and shaper. The molding machine has it's own feeder. I've got no practical way to handle it though. Maybe I could use the chainsaw mill to break it down to manageable sizes and get a guy with a bandsaw mill in my club to finish it up?? Gotta give this some quick thought!

This kind of thing is how I ended up with bigger chainsaws and shop tools over the years. 😉
When he drops off the trees I’ll assess the logs . I can mill some of it thick and then you can have it resawn to the desired thickness . I don’t really have space to store it all . I still have 4 oaks I need to mill and stack

Jred?? I thought straight handles were in the same category as front tensioners?🤔
Back Yard😂
No, but they are in the same category as the old school stihls lol.
More backyard action. The wind died down a bit and lots more room for this one. The last one brushed his maple, just missed his lilacs(which I'd cut down anyway), and missed the dog kennel by a couple ft :happy:.
This one was pretty uneventful, but as with the first I notched it high so it wouldn't tear any branches out of the Maple, and it missed them it by a ft or so. Just like I planned it that way :). I'll say this, lifting that 2172 with the straight handle and a 32" bar that high wasn't fun, especially when 20mph winds were blowing chips in your face...
20240419_190828.jpg20240419_191030.jpg
My boy can be seen in the background splitting everything up for my buddy, and my buddy said look it's a miniature version of one of your fires 🔥 🤣. His fire pit is probably 2' across, maybe lol.
20240419_195748.jpg

That's nice if you have a way to unload logs at the house or a deck over trailer, but I'd rather cut there and leave the mess, then roll the splits off at the house, you can get quite a bit done like that in a couple solid days. It's even nicer if you can split right off the trailer or truck.
If you're going to be up this way you can borrow a trailer, reducing the road time to and from the pile helps productivity, but sometimes you just need a break too 😉.
Another option is to find a deal on a trailer down your way to use just for this job, then sell it for a couple bucks profit. I often see single axle high side trailers that were used for clean outs down your way. There's one up north of us right now I'd snag up, but I don't want to burn a few hrs to go get it.

Not that I really wanted to attend, elbow hasn't been handling shooting the bow real well, but we're at camp mac 3d bow shoot. I'm more or less being a pack Mule. Drug the kids with again this year. They are doing ok at 5 and 10 feet lol. My boys bow won't stick an arrow into the foam it's so wimpy, but they are more or less having fun. My wife wa doing pretty well at first then her shoulder started bugging her again. Once we get back down to the truck I'll turn her bow down a bit and hit the practice course before we do another course.

Attachments

• 20240420_110246.jpg
    20240420_110246.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240420_110346.jpg
    20240420_110346.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240420_110349.jpg
    20240420_110349.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
When he drops off the trees I’ll assess the logs . I can mill some of it thick and then you can have it resawn to the desired thickness . I don’t really have space to store it all . I still have 4 oaks I need to mill and stack
I’d appreciate that. Could come down with my chainsaw mill too… I really need to finish the renovation.😉. Lost a few days this past week getting my father’s zero turn running and mowing. Still need to do more maintenance on that machine—valve adjustment for one.

Honestly it took like 45 minutes from start to finish, I’ve done a couple before, so I know what to do quickly, No issue with brake flag , cut weld that joins the front lower piece together, then we’re they over lap each other, cut right side piece so there’s no overlap, then a little bending involved to even them up , drill another hole so it lines up with saw mounting hole , rear single piece mount on clutch side, some lower trimming at bottom to make fit , the holes line up so no need to drill new ones, and just a little fitting hear and there, done , like I said before, if you done it before it goes quickly, but first time might be a little longer,
What? No pics?

Got the trailer emptied and while everything was burning between loads I got a tank ran thru the splitter. Lots to go, but it's like loosing weight, you didn't gain it in one day, shouldn't expect to loose it in one day lol.
Start...
View attachment 1171352
Finished.
View attachment 1171353
Still have the 4x8 trailer that's overfull.
I wish I was sitting by that fire with some bratts. lol

SR

Latest posts

Back