Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went down to my parents' place last week for a funeral, took a near level load in the ute with me. There's a mountain range to go over on the way so I wasn't about to overload. The Cowkids helped load up.

20240418_131136.jpg

Once there I ensmallened the pieces a bit more with the X27 I gave Dad for Christmas in '22.

20240419_114525.jpg

20240419_114511.jpg

Morning guys. Here’s a couple clips of a boat we dug out of the woods at a friends house the other day. I’ve never had to cut down trees to get a boat out before lol. The last clip is 24 hours later after my son cleaned and washed it out. Next we’ll fill it up with water and see if it leaks and if it doesn’t leak too badly we’ll put in new benches.

View attachment 1172213View attachment 1172214View attachment 1172215
Shhhh don't tell the county 🤫 That boat looks like it had it's own ecosystem going on. They will want to make sure you pulled the necessary permits and had an environmental impact assessment done.

Seriously though, looks like it has good bones and could be a fun build for you and your sons.

That is why I keep 2 MS660s with 36" B+C on the ready. By the time they both go dull, I'm usually ready to be done also!

Any idea how long Tulip stays good after it is down. I know where some monster logs are, but they have been down for a while (but are mostly off the ground).

I planned to mill them a while ago, but just did not get the time!
In my experience it goes bad very fast unless it's milled, and then dried and stored indoors... In one case an associate from the woodworkers club had trees taken down at his home and another member brought over his bandsaw mill and milled the logs into boards. They stickered, bound, and tarped the wood with air flow around the stack that was up on cement blocks. A year or so later I went over to get some. There were insects and fungus in evidence... being "close" to the ground it was too damp. I took a bunch of it home thinking I could pick through it and use the rest for kindling... it all went to kindling as boards I planed and stacked started showing bug dust piles.

In the other case a tree service cut down a bunch of poplar and put the logs aside for me... in a spot that was inaccessible for all but an excavator. When he finally moved the logs he staged them so they could be moved to his log yard on his log truck. The plan was that I was going mill them on his bandsaw mill. That too dragged on... When he finally got ready to move them they were full of insects and fungus and rot had started. He ended up running all the logs through his big tracked chipper. Complete waste as they were nice logs.

From talking to other guys in the club it seems the best course of action is to fell poplar and mill quickly. Then sticker them to dry under real cover (inside a dry building) or kiln dry the wood. The poplar doesn't like moisture at all... and insects do. Don't use it for outdoor projects as it will disappear before your eyes! You might want to take a look at the logs and at the first sign of insect tunnels or fugus walk away...

Shhhh don't tell the county 🤫 That boat looks like it had it's own ecosystem going on. They will want to make sure you pulled the necessary permits and had an environmental impact assessment done.

Seriously though, looks like it has good bones and could be a fun build for you and your sons.
Agreed, it may make a great decoy hauler with that big open area.

Agreed, it may make a great decoy hauler with that big open area.
Ahhh duck hunting season, cannot wait, but lots of fishing to do between now and then. Hopefully ground nesting birds have dryer conditions and a better hatch than they did last year...
Currently workshopping ideas for a folding boat blind to fit the jon boat I picked up last month.

I've been busy dealing with some health issues, new knee, AFib etc
Anyway I have been slowly working on my firewood stash for the next two winters.
Less than 2 miles from my house the Amish bought an old house and clear cut 5 acres, they sold a couple of triaxle loads and the pile that was left I stopped and made them an offer, they accepted and I was the proud owner of about 8 cords of mixed hardwoods.
Then a logger that I know called me last Thursday morning and said I could clean up the ends and stuff at one of his landings, about 4 miles from the house and right in a field just off the road, SCORE, mostly Oak. I have to say I couldn't do any of it without my trusty little L2501 and my grapple :)
first load today from my friends log landing

Attachments

• PXL_20240424_153628406.jpg
    PXL_20240424_153628406.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 1
The meeting with the logger (up at my 50 acres in the Catskills) went well. He is a real nice guy, has a family run business, and seemed very willing to work with me.

To my surprise, he told me that Ash prices are high, but Black Cherry not so much! Since he will be primarily taking Ash, I guess that is good.

We did have to clear a fallen Black Cherry from one of the trails, and since I had the saw out anyway, I figured I'd turn it into firewood. Looks like it should be ready to burn soon! I went up and got the rounds with my ATV trailer after he left.

Attachments

• IMG_20240424_133015265_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240424_133015265_HDR.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240424_133033559_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240424_133033559_HDR.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 0
Hopefully, a 289 Hi Po!!!
Well, it began as a hopped up 289 but not the hi po. It was around 300hp out of the standard 225h motor. Previous owner did a full top end build.
I blew that one up and got what was supposed to be a 351 Windsor from a buddy’s dad’s wrecking yard. It turned out to be a 2-bolt main Cleveland :p
Way too much weight up front and we had to shoehorn it in anyway 🤪
Sold it to a local race car driver who completely built it into a 4-bolt main and redid the heads…scary motor. He worked in an engine machining race shop.
Put another stock 289 in after that.
Had the car till the early 80s.

Back