Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning men. Still in recoup mode after the fla. trip. Unreal how high the grass is! I guess it was rainy and hot the whole time we were gone and everything grew like crazy.
Really fun trip with no travel issues. For those who remember, I had the pleasure of changing an in tank fuel pump at a rest stop in adel Ga. on our last vacation! Not my idea of fun!

The lean to is going on the garden side. Went and got conduit today, and a 100 amp breaker for the main box. Almost cried at check out, just under $300.00 for a long sweap 90, tight 90, 50 Foot of conduit and a breaker.
Looks like a nice spot for it with the grade.
I need to buy a small panel to use as a sub for the other side, and I need to buy heavy wire to run to it, I've got all the 12/2 and 14/2 I need and then a ton more, sure that and the wire to run the house off the same meter as the barn won't be cheap.
I did scrounge up a little something for inside the main bay of the barn(no not the quad lol).
20240504_105652.jpg
Also spent 300 on the new brakes for the back of the excursion.
Before picture.
20240503_192116.jpg

Rain today. Wasn't suppose to last long or amount to much. Was planning on fishing in the morning and then come home and get a load of Bk Locust. I think it's too wet for a 2WD to muck around it. If it were solely my spot, I'd just walk to the pile, cut it up and leave it. But then it may get buried by an incoming load. That's my main problem there. Hurry up and get it all before my access to it is blocked by more loads.

Saturday, I did manage to fish/cut wood. Ended up with a fairly over-loaded load of HDBL (Highly DESIRABLE Black Locust).
IMG_2904.JPG

I haven't had any HDBL in a long time and I forgot how fast it dulls a chain. I went to resharpen and refill the gas/oil and I noticed my gas tank (flippy cap) was under a little vacuum. Is that normal or is the gas tank vent (new) clogged?

Speaking of fishing, how's your Crappie season going, mainly in the Midwest? All this untimely rain has messed with lake levels, I think, postponing the spawn. Been real slow for eveyone.

What did you get for hearing aids? I got a pair and heard the spring peepers again. Problem is they can be a pain to set up. Now they are nightstand decorations.
I got them thru True Hearing with my insurance. They are made in Denmark. The audiologist set them up using her computer with me wearing them. I'll see her again in a few weeks for a checkup. My left ear is really bad and I don't think the hearing aid does anything for that ear. The right one is awesome.

Hey guys.

Busy here. Got a new old truck for the kids. 07 Chevy Colorado 4 door 4x4. Rusty but runs good.

Yesterday did some exploring in the boundary waters. Found a can/bottle dump from an old resort that operated for about 60 years. How many cans and bottles does a resort create in 60 years (especially a remote one where people live off of canned food)? A LOT! Had a real fun day.

Another "Other Stuff" topic. It's that time of the year and I've just about used up all of my weed whip string and need to get more. I normally use Echo Crossfire 0.095" 250' line which last me two years. I was wondering if there was something better out there? I don't know if regular round line would be any worse or not. Also, does it go bad if left setting for years? I can get a 800' roll for less than the price of two 250' rolls. Always looking for a bargain - lol.
My fishing buddy uses trimmer line for running 2 planer boards for trolling for Rock fish. I think he uses 100' per side of the boat. The planer board is a board with a fin on the bottom to pull it away from the boat, and a flag on top so you can see it. You clip shower clips, with pinch clips on them to the planer line. The fishing line goes in the pinch clip on the planer line. He runs 6-7 per side, and several in the rocket launchers for a total of 15-20 lines out. He uses ribbed line, not sure what size. It's at least 10 years old, and we have never broken it. It's used in salt water so I would think it would degrade the material, but maybe not?

My fishing buddy uses trimmer line for running 2 planer boards for trolling for Rock fish. I think he uses 100' per side of the boat. The planer board is a board with a fin on the bottom to pull it away from the boat, and a flag on top so you can see it. You clip shower clips, with pinch clips on them to the planer line. The fishing line goes in the pinch clip on the planer line. He runs 6-7 per side, and several in the rocket launchers for a total of 15-20 lines out. He uses ribbed line, not sure what size. It's at least 10 years old, and we have never broken it. It's used in salt water so I would think it would degrade the material, but maybe not?
Interesting to hear that he uses that. I would've thought it was stretchy but apparently not.

I would think the sun would degrade it more than the saltwater? Just my thoughts.

Interesting to hear that he uses that. I would've thought it was stretchy but apparently not.

I would think the sun would degrade it more than the saltwater? Just my thoughts.
Yeh, that that and the air. I settled on buying the smaller package (2 yr supply) but dang it's so temping to buy socks by the dozen :laugh: .

Rain today. Wasn't suppose to last long or amount to much. Was planning on fishing in the morning and then come home and get a load of Bk Locust. I think it's too wet for a 2WD to muck around it. If it were solely my spot, I'd just walk to the pile, cut it up and leave it. But then it may get buried by an incoming load. That's my main problem there. Hurry up and get it all before my access to it is blocked by more loads.

Saturday, I did manage to fish/cut wood. Ended up with a fairly over-loaded load of HDBL (Highly DESIRABLE Black Locust).
View attachment 1175202

I haven't had any HDBL in a long time and I forgot how fast it dulls a chain. I went to resharpen and refill the gas/oil and I noticed my gas tank (flippy cap) was under a little vacuum. Is that normal or is the gas tank vent (new) clogged?

Speaking of fishing, how's your Crappie season going, mainly in the Midwest? All this untimely rain has messed with lake levels, I think, postponing the spawn. Been real slow for eveyone.
We have some interesting fishing opportunities up north in New Brunswick, but two big ones we are missing are crappie and walleye. As much as I would like to see them though, it's hard to say what impact their introduction would have on native species.

We have some interesting fishing opportunities up north in New Brunswick, but two big ones we are missing are crappie and walleye. As much as I would like to see them though, it's hard to say what impact their introduction would have on native species.
Agreed. And the full impact of introducing species takes years to decades to fully see the repercussions.

(No offense because I see you are a muskie fisherman) The introductions of muskies into the lake I live on has completely ****ed up the lake. It took about 20 years to change. Now the panfish have to live in weeds so thick you can barely fish them, northerns are much less prevalent unless they can survive to 10+ pounds, and the walleyes are much deeper. And the muskie guys here want them put in every lake!!

It's always scary when a good neighbor moves. Never know what you will get!
That's for sure... around here locals have been taking the money and running as the Brooklyn invasion has driven real estate prices up significantly. A few years ago the USPS reported that the greatest number of address changes were to a local ZIP Code... Gang bangers, shootings and homicides are now a common thing whereas in the past there were many years we had no shootings or homicides. The volume of open air heroin users is so big that there is a mobile treatment van cruising around to the places the abusers hang out... There are free NARCAN dispensers and lots of graffiti... Hard to say all this "new money" has improved the community.

Agreed. And the full impact of introducing species takes years to decades to fully see the repercussions.

(No offense because I see you are a muskie fisherman) The introductions of muskies into the lake I live on has completely ****ed up the lake I live on. It took about 20 years to change. Now the panfish have to live in weeds so thick you can barely fish them, northerns are much less prevalent unless they can survive to 10+ pounds, and the walleyes are much deeper. And the muskie guys here want them put in every lake!!
None taken! Actually, the only reason we have them here is kind of an interesting story. The main river running through our province originates in Quebec and passes through northern Maine before entering New Brunswick. Sometime in the 60's a lake containing muskies near the headwaters in Quebec overflowed and introduced muskies to the St. John River. 60 some years later, nearly 200 miles and three hydro-electric dams away, we now have the beginnings of a thriving musky fishery due to the sheer numbers of alewives that enter the system from the sea and sustain several predatory species including striped bass. Feelings are definitely mixed among anglers here about their presence in the system. Would I advocate that they be introduced elsewhere outside of their native range? No, but I am of the opinion that they are here now and there is not much to be done about it, so I may as well make hay while the sun shines.

Good day to you allView attachment 1175053Thought we were done burning for the season but..View attachment 1175055must be the global warming, lol.
Thanks everyone for the input on chainsaw pants, decided on arbor wear iron wood. Ridiculously expensive but they were only ones I found sized to fit instead of elastic waist that “fits most”, and straight leg design, don’t care for tapered leg, snug fit most have. View attachment 1175054Was thinking about the dogwood but wanted something I could wear all year and their leg vents don’t have a closure. Fit well and look well made, until I saw made in China on the tag, now they really seem overpriced, lol.
Bogus got 6”, lol.
Highest one-day total snow for the Sierras over the weekend, 26”.
Dam global warming…

Latest posts

Back