Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s interesting cause you can still get many auto pistols for reasonable but the better revolver prices have gone through the roof. But everyone has been obsessed with buying autos since Obama. I don’t get it.
I get it. Limited capacity, slow to load/reload. Awkward shape that doesn't conceal well. Given the choice and calibers available, I'll go semi every time. There's a big anti semi mentality with the older generation, I'll never understand it. My dad is one or those guys. He carries a 357 mag with him. Yep he's a great shot with that snub nose, then has to Fidel around to reload it. Mean wile I'm still on the same mag, he reloads gets back on target and I'm halfway through a second mag. No thanks can't see the advantage of playing cowboy.

Interesting discussion here in Scrounging threads. I find room for both revolver and semi in my gun cabinet. I carry a S&W MP 9 Shield OWB. And plink behind my house with a Ruger SR22.
IMG_4149.jpg

But I hunt with an S&W revolver (revolver and single shot are only legal hunting handguns here in PA).

And sometimes, I just take this old Dan Wesson convertible in .22 to the small range behind my house for fun

DanWesson_22.jpg

Note - displayed on a stack of firewood to keep this post topical

Crazy weather this weekend from hot as stink to cold and back to the middle where I like it. I briefly looked at the woodpile when my wife suggested that I need to get at it (she's right). Playing with my outboard won out. Picked up a '64 Johnson FD18E back in the winter. It was seized. Freed it up and have been working on it, new water pump, gear oil etc. Tried it out today on my little tinner and it worked great. Picked up a free weed whacker at the side of the road on the way home. Dumped out the gas which was inexplicably black. Poured in some fresh mix and some seafoam and it started and ran. Score! So, I did do some scrounging! Link is for the outboard if anyone digs old motors.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Was over my buddies garage. Cleaning it out for the guy buying the house. The guy buying the house has been renting the garage for several years. John handed me a little Mac top handle and said Jeff wanted to know if I could figure out what was wrong with it? Took the fuel cap off and dumped out some black, green goop. Kinda looked like the bar oil I use. Rinsed it once then filled it with new mix. Fired on the first pull, ran on the second. Let it idle for 15-20 minutes while we cleaned up the shop. Jeff came over later, I didn’t want to make him feel bad, so I told him I waved my magic wand over it and it’s all better. Then John told him what he did, and we both laughed at him.

I get it. Limited capacity, slow to load/reload. Awkward shape that doesn't conceal well. Given the choice and calibers available, I'll go semi every time. There's a big anti semi mentality with the older generation, I'll never understand it. My dad is one or those guys. He carries a 357 mag with him. Yep he's a great shot with that snub nose, then has to Fidel around to reload it. Mean wile I'm still on the same mag, he reloads gets back on target and I'm halfway through a second mag. No thanks can't see the advantage of playing cowboy.
He must be between the WWII guys and me. Those WWII guys all wanted Colt 1911’s. Md doesn’t issue CC’s. I have an FFL, so as often as not my Model 1927, 11.25 MM is in the center console.

He must be between the WWII guys and me. Those WWII guys all wanted Colt 1911’s. Md doesn’t issue CC’s. I have an FFL, so as often as not my Model 1927, 11.25 MM is in the center console.
Yeah, dad's not a 1911 guy. Normally carries a 357, from time to time a 454 casull, or 44 mag. Don't even think he owns a 1911 thinking about it.

There's a big anti semi mentality with the older generation, I'll never understand it.
I understand their thinking. A revolver will sit fully loaded with its springs at rest for months (or years) and be ready for instant use. A semi magazine left fully loaded for months will compress the spring which could then 'set' and not have enough force to push the ammo out. When the time comes is it better to have six 100% reliable shots or twelve unreliable shots?

I understand their thinking. A revolver will sit fully loaded with its springs at rest for months (or years) and be ready for instant use. A semi magazine left fully loaded for months will compress the spring which could then 'set' and not have enough force to push the ammo out. When the time comes is it better to have six 100% reliable shots or twelve unreliable shots?
That may have been true with older semis, but had long since proven as a false statement for any modern firearms. Most are now built to be left loaded for extended periods of time. There is (As with everything) an advised exercise schedule with mag fed firearms. But in reality, if your shooting as much as you should to be proficient, yours mags arnt sitting loaded longer then 2 months or so. There is also mag rotation that I follow. I doubt it's really needed, but non the less, when it's time to go to the range I grab the mags that have been sitting the longest and use them.
I have seen in person once, and been told a few times of brass corroding when loaded into a cylinder for an extended period. Ironically the guy having the issue was a retired police officer. He was taking his defensive rounds out to use practice ammo. Ended up having to take the cylinder out of the gun and pound the cases out. Fortunately he was able to fire off all rounds.
I'm in no way suggesting a semi is superior to a wheel gun, or the other way around. They both have their positive and negative attributes. Me personally, the training I've been through, the people I've talked to, the semi is what I carry and train with. I have no illusions that I may pull the trigger and nothing will happen, same can be said for any gun. Never know if your cylinder is going to clock right. You sure hope it does, and it may have never given trouble before. You also hope that 6 or 7 shots will end whatever conflict you find yourself in. In my case I'm betting on 11 or 16, and my back up holds 7. A lot of it come down to personal preference, I have a few revolvers, I shoot them periodically, and clean them regularly. I expect them to work when I use them, just prefer something better suited for my carry gun.

I keep a dozen 30 rd mags loaded at all times and have another 15-20 still in the bags as back up. Just in case, ya know.
Don't even know how many I have at this point, I have a few different guns that accept that style mag, and the lansers I had pictured work in my .458 socom, as they dint have the divider in them like the p mags. Just picking up that g34x and having limited mag availability kinda put a damper on my collection. Only have 3 for that. The other guns share the double stack glock mag design so I have plenty of 15 and 17 round variants around for them. I'm a big fan of cross compatibility for defensive arms. Don't matter if my wife grabs my night stand club, or I grab hers, it's the same mag that will fit in each. Follow the KISS method for that kind of stuff, if you ever need to use them, it will be a highly stressful situation and the last thing you need to deal with is grabbing the wrong mag/ammo if a reload is nessisary.

Thought I was in the wrong thread for a minute....LOL
I was able to score a nice scrounge not far from the house.
New powerline going in.
I had the blessing from the crew cutting it. They are just dropping it right on the edge of the road (dirt road)
I ended up with a total of five and a half loads...lol....
I took my tractor with the grapple right there along with my F250 flat bed dump!
I split up 4 of my half pallets this morning before it got too hot and muggy.
3diZ41Ll.jpg

Lot's of Ash, a bit of Maple and some Yellow Birch
DVtgHG1l.jpg

fZe6dxFl.jpg

UL5kLiil.jpg

YiW53rcl.jpg

the half load
t43R67rl.jpg

New powerline going in.
I had the blessing from the crew cutting it. They are just dropping it right on the edge of the road (dirt road)
I took my tractor with the grapple right there along with my F250 flat bed dump!
3diZ41Ll.jpg

DVtgHG1l.jpg

fZe6dxFl.jpg

UL5kLiil.jpg

YiW53rcl.jpg

the half load
t43R67rl.jpg
Nice score!

New powerline going in.
3diZ41Ll.jpg

DVtgHG1l.jpg

fZe6dxFl.jpg

UL5kLiil.jpg

YiW53rcl.jpg

the half load
t43R67rl.jpg
Sweet. That will make @LondonNeil happy. This thread does get sidetracked ONCE in a while.:laugh:

Latest posts

Back