Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took out all of the self stick tile that was left in our 1st chicken coop yesterday and took a shop vac to the floor and the cob webs. On another site there was a lady who lost a barn to fire that started with cob webs and a heat lamp, nothing I thought of before but it was a wake up call. Next up was painting the floor with black jack roof coating for a better floor fix before I move birds in. The black jack looks 100% better than the one dollar self stick tiles that come up and make a mess. I also got out the 450 today to take down some small brush trees that were leaning down from a ice storm last winter.

Up at the cabin, we shoot porky's on sight. They are so destructive it is hard to believe.

W/O cement board all around the perimeter, they would chew through my cabin walls.

If you leave a vehicle up there, they will eat radiator hoses, brake lines and tires!

Not to mention, it is horrific if your dog finds one. Only way to get the quills out is to bring it to the Vet and have them knock the dog out.
Have you ever eaten a porcupine? I’ve heard they’re surprisingly good to eat.
We don’t have them down here in the Southern part of PA.

We call them both campers. Just truck mounted or towed. An rv is a motor home. Also heard truck campers referred to as toppers, but only a few times. Actually dint see how it matters what they are called ad they do the same thing. Little home away from home. Don't matter if it's hauled, drug, or pushed they all need an engine to get them to point B.

Never used a 44 on them, but I have taken them with .22, 40 S+W, 357 Mag and 380.

The .22 is preferred if a rifle is handy, but if you encounter them when you have nothing but a handgun ... well, they work.

I agree with sean's statement. I also remember the regional arguments between Soda, Soda Pop, and Pop. Also, Hoagie, Grinder and Wedge!

In some places if you ask for a soda it will have ice cream in it, in other places if you ask for a pop, you are likely to get hit!

Have you ever eaten a porcupine? I’ve heard they’re surprisingly good to eat.
We don’t have them down here in the Southern part of PA.
Never tried eating one, but I hear if you are lost in the wilderness, they are one of the few animals you can harvest with just a stick to beat them with. As a result, they are considered "survival food". However, they are mostly nocturnal.

I also heard woodchucks are good to eat, but I never bothered preparing one of them either. For some reason, I've been conditioned into thinking that eatable mammals should harvested in cold weather!

When I was in my early teens I used to go away to Boy Scout Camp for 2 weeks in the summer every year. (Camp Reed in the Adirondack Mtns).

If you finished dinned fast, and hurried, you could get to "Nature" on time to get a "have a heart trap", and "Nature" would give you points for the various animals you caught.

The Racoons were almost domestic, and raided the tents every night, so they were not hard to catch and were not worth many points, but some guy caught a Weasel and that was worth a lot of points.

Well, one evening after dinner a bunch of us were gathered around, and a Porky came walking right through our campsite! Everyone got exited, wondering how many points it was worth, and took turns blocking it's path so it did not get away. Then, in the panic, a plan was hatched to catch the wild beast! We took the sheets off the Asst. Scoutmaster's bed and threw one over the Porky and he was ours!

We got lots of points for him, as no one else had caught one, but he was near bald after the sheet was taken off, and as I recall the Asst. Scoutmaster was less than happy with us!

Never tried eating one, but I hear if you are lost in the wilderness, they are one of the few animals you can harvest with just a stick to beat them with. As a result, they are considered "survival food". However, they are mostly nocturnal.

I also heard woodchucks are good to eat, but I never bothered preparing one of them either. For some reason, I've been conditioned into thinking that eatable mammals should harvested in cold weather!
My father in law ways give me crap when a pig gets dispatched around the house. Guess there is some for gland you need to cut out in their back legs like a deer. Supposedly they taste pretty good. Just can't get over trying to eat one of the destructive little buggers.
So people will know what you’re talking about.
I'll still know what your talking about. They all still do the same thing. Just semantics.
Oh just remembers there's a bunch of guys that call their 5th wheel campers 5ers..... guess that's the elite class before you get to a wannabangahoe lol

same thing. Just semantics.

No. One’s pulled behind the vehicle, so you can’t have a wood trailer, boat, etc.

One is mounted on the pickup, so no cargo in the pickup, but you can pull a utility trailer or boat.

Very different, not semantics at all.

When I was in my early teens I used to go away to Boy Scout Camp for 2 weeks in the summer every year. (Camp Reed in the Adirondack Mtns).

If you finished dinned fast, and hurried, you could get to "Nature" on time to get a "have a heart trap", and "Nature" would give you points for the various animals you caught.

The Racoons were almost domestic, and raided the tents every night, so they were not hard to catch and were not worth many points, but some guy caught a Weasel and that was worth a lot of points.

Well, one evening after dinner a bunch of us were gathered around, and a Porky came walking right through our campsite! Everyone got exited, wondering how many points it was worth, and took turns blocking it's path so it did not get away. Then, in the panic, a plan was hatched to catch the wild beast! We took the sheets off the Asst. Scoutmaster's bed and threw one over the Porky and he was ours!

We got lots of points for him, as no one else had caught one, but he was near bald after the sheet was taken off, and as I recall the Asst. Scoutmaster was less than happy with us!
Holy **** I’m laughing hysterically thinking about the spineless porky and ruined bedsheet.

My ex brother-in-law caught a skunk in a Leg hold trap....Someone gave him the bad advice that a skunk that doesn’t have its back legs on the ground can’t spray. That is not true! A skunk needs to have its back legs on the ground in order to vaporize the scent, however It can still expel the scent but it comes out in gobs likes snot. Needless to say he and his yard smelled like skunk for weeks after he tried to quickly levitate the skunk off of its feet. LOL!

We call them both campers. Just truck mounted or towed. An rv is a motor home. Also heard truck campers referred to as toppers, but only a few times. Actually dint see how it matters what they are called ad they do the same thing. Little home away from home. Don't matter if it's hauled, drug, or pushed they all need an engine to get them to point B.
Yep

Kinda steep groundCE85E625-286D-4580-935A-14535F54AC39.jpegMost of this area I can’t get close enough to grab trees with the grapple, been using the winch a lot E7A604FB-7568-4449-A9F2-CF0C288736DE.png
Boss said I could take whatever I wanted from the firewood decks so threw some in the pickup before heading home631C184D-015F-43C4-A512-357FD0EE774C.jpegOnly sending the best stuff and preferred lengths to the mill so there’s lots of firewood.

Latest posts

Back