Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad hit a porcupine with a semi at night one time back in the 70's. Said the quills went right thru the tire and destroyed it. Hard to believe the quills could be that strong.
Another time when I was early 20's me and some buds went to the Allegheny national forest for a weekend of camping, mudbogging, and drinkin beer. For those that don't know it is the biggest national forest east of the Mississippi. We went out spotting deer 1 night and saw a porcupine wandering down the road in front of us. I jumped out and ran up behind it and smacked straight down on its back just like I had been told to by the old timers. Worked just like they said, I got a hat full of souvenir quills and the porcupine just kept on a waddling away from me like nothing ever happened.

Interesting to hear the regional differences.

Up here, a camping contraption that drives under it's own power is a RV or camper
A pop up camper is a camper
A pickup camper is a camper
A fifth wheel camper is usually called a fifth wheel camper or trailer
A camping trailer is called a trailer or a camper.

Got my forks. Should have gotten these the day after I got the loader. I basically want to lift small pallet loads of fire pit wood, and brush to the burn pile. A friend said to get the short 30" ones to keep from over loading the bucket. Mines rated at 980 pounds. His only complaint is he cant see the tips from the drivers seat. With my bucket on the ground, I can see my tips with the 48".
g3oADDT.jpg

msrFMmt.jpg

64QvIno.jpg

Got my forks. Should have gotten these the day after I got the loader. I basically want to lift small pallet loads of fire pit wood, and brush to the burn pile. A friend said to get the short 30" ones to keep from over loading the bucket. Mines rated at 980 pounds. His only complaint is he cant see the tips from the drivers seat. With my bucket on the ground, I can see my tips with the 48".
g3oADDT.jpg

msrFMmt.jpg

64QvIno.jpg
I don't know how long mine are, but I have to tilt the bucket down and the get the forks started into the pallet(or whatever I want to lift), then work them into it, or I need to stand up to see them and in that case you may have to disable your seat safety switch. So its nice you can see yours.
One thing I like about them is how I can flick things such as logs onto the top of a pile I cant lift high enough to set them on. Just let the log roll down them a little towards the tips and then tilt the bucket back quickly and the forks will toss the log a good bit higher.

No. One’s pulled behind the vehicle, so you can’t have a wood trailer, boat, etc.

One is mounted on the pickup, so no cargo in the pickup, but you can pull a utility trailer or boat.

Very different, not semantics at all.
Now that's not true. There are truck mounted models that allow for storage under the camper, and there are plenty of towed campers that will haul your toys and half your house. Again semantics. They achieve the same end goal, you have a place to stay that's not your house, a tent, or hotel. You pick the version of a camper that suits your needs.

Now that's not true. There are truck mounted models that allow for storage under the camper, and there are plenty of towed campers that will haul your toys and half your house. Again semantics. They achieve the same end goal, you have a place to stay that's not your house, a tent, or hotel. You pick the version of a camper that suits your needs.
I agree for the most part, but you better know what the manufacture calls it when you need parts lol.
I need a new blade, what kind of mower do you have sir :laugh:.

I agree for the most part, but you better know what the manufacture calls it when you need parts lol.
I need a new blade, what kind of mower do you have sir :laugh:.
Point is its still a camper, or mower in this case. Is still a mower, and the model of it does not make it stop being a camper. I don't run around calling my cub cadet, a cub cadet all the time, its a mower and everyone gets what I'm talking about. Something to mow the grass with. Next question is normally is it a rider or not? At that point go into detail. But for all intensive purposes it doesn't matter. A mower is a mower, a camper is a camper. Heck even a saw is a saw. We're just nutty about such things so when someone says I got a 562xp, or a ms441 we automatically know it's a husqy, or stihl saw, but to 99% of the world its just a chain saw.

Point is its still a camper, or mower in this case. Is still a mower, and the model of it does not make it stop being a camper. I don't run around calling my cub cadet, a cub cadet all the time, its a mower and everyone gets what I'm talking about. Something to mow the grass with. Next question is normally is it a rider or not? At that point go into detail. But for all intensive purposes it doesn't matter. A mower is a mower, a camper is a camper. Heck even a saw is a saw. We're just nutty about such things so when someone says I got a 562xp, or a ms441 we automatically know it's a husqy, or stihl saw, but to 99% of the world its just a chain saw.
Like I said, I agree with you for the most part. Sometimes it is important that we are a bit more specific.
You failed to catch what I was saying, I wasn't even talking about a mower, I just wanted a new blade ;).

My ex brother-in-law caught a skunk in a Leg hold trap....Someone gave him the bad advice that a skunk that doesn’t have its back legs on the ground can’t spray. That is not true! A skunk needs to have its back legs on the ground in order to vaporize the scent, however It can still expel the scent but it comes out in gobs likes snot. Needless to say he and his yard smelled like skunk for weeks after he tried to quickly levitate the skunk off of its feet. LOL!

I did get a skunk in a have a heart trap one time when I was hoping for a garden eating wood chuck. I had a .22 pistol ready if it sprayed me but I talked to it like Mr. Rodgers, it tripped the trap at 1st but I held the door open and it left without spraying me. Later I was told that they need to lift the tail to spray.
Planted the garden yesterday. tomato, peppers, green beans and butternut, acorn squash and pumpkin. We had a wind storm a few day ago strong enough to move the greenhouse and knock over a large potted plant. The plant is so heavy That was one heck of a wind but only one tomato plant lost.

Seek professional help!

I don't know how long mine are, but I have to tilt the bucket down and the get the forks started into the pallet(or whatever I want to lift), then work them into it, or I need to stand up to see them and in that case you may have to disable your seat safety switch. So its nice you can see yours.
One thing I like about them is how I can flick things such as logs onto the top of a pile I cant lift high enough to set them on. Just let the log roll down them a little towards the tips and then tilt the bucket back quickly and the forks will toss the log a good bit higher.
No safety on the loader seat, so I can stand if it helps. I'm going to have to play with flippin the logs. That sounds like fun.

No safety on the loader seat, so I can stand if it helps. I'm going to have to play with flippin the logs. That sounds like fun.
I was just at the meat market after I typed that and the owner was like "how high are those piles at your place, how do you get them up there",LOL.
Log flipping, the next GTG competition :happy:.
It is pretty fun :). You do need to be very careful with the tips of the forks as they move quite fast that far from the pin :yes:.

It took 9 days after the bonfire for it to cool down enough to take away the remains. Here is all that was left. It's now in the trailer and I have been putting the leftover charcoal through the stove at home so there are some free BTUs there. I have a wire basket that I use to shake the ash out of it. Otherwise, I'll have to pay to dump it at the tip or stick it in the weekly collection one bag at a time.

29th May 1.jpg

I've also cleaned up the remains of a big pile of blue gum splits (in the background of this pic from last year).

23rd Apr 1.jpg

I have taken a bit over two cubes to my parents in Melbourne, sold a bit over two cubes and donated a bit over a cube to the wood raffle on bonfire night. Here's what is left, I cleaned off the worst of the dirt from it sitting on the ground and stacked up on pallets now.

29th May 2.jpg

29th May 3.jpg

I had the firepit going all day burning up the bark and junk that was not salvageable.

29th May 6.jpg

A little bit of wheelbarrow action for @H-Ranch

29th May 4.jpg

All in all, a very nice day.

29th May 5.jpg

A little bit of wheelbarrow action for @H-Ranch

All in all, a very nice day.
That is a "little bit" of wheelbarrow action for sure. ;)

Nice summary of your day and I think every part of it was wood and/or fire related. I'll try to post some updates from here later to keep the streak alive!

Well good day/bad day at the auction today. Good part, they had 2 Disston DA211 two man saws and they sold for $1 each. Bad part, I got there ten minutes after they sold. Good part, I got a 300 gallon stock tank for WV and only paid $60 for it. Soon to be septic tank so I can put a real toilet in the bunk house. The bunk house is coming along well, should have the insulation and paneling done next weekend trip we make.
OXxiduw.jpg

Latest posts

Back