Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have a reverse scrounge. This morning I loaded up the pickup with rounds from a dead pine I cut on my place back in Feb. I have close to two yrs firewood split and stacked, so am not eager to process more. I hauled this stuff to the Boulder County sort yard and unloaded when they opened at 9. The sort yard is a great resource--they accept any manner of wood or slash, and they feed the goods into a massive Morbark tub grinder. The resulting chips are hauled to town by semi, and burned (think giant pellet stove operation) to heat the county jail and various other facilities. Every cubic yard of material going to the sort yard is fuel unavailable to the county's next large fire. A very good thing.

Scrounging continues at a relaxed pace. Yesterday morning we went to town and filled my pickup and my friend's 3/4-ton van with ash and honey locust, compliments of an in-town arborist, and dumped at my friend's place.

Attachments

• DSC02642.JPG
    DSC02642.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 14
  • DSC02643.JPG
    DSC02643.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 13
  • DSC02644.JPG
    DSC02644.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 13
More chairy lol.
Got the mower going then.
Yeah, do you like those lines? It's a country yard, but it looks good cut diagonally.

Didn't make a chairy, but I did make a few slabs for "cherr"cuterie boards! :laughing:
20210516_174117.jpg
A few loads completed by an unwilling teenager ( I think I missed 1 or 2).
20210530_121358.jpg20210530_120555.jpg20210530_112744.jpg
And then I finished the uglies.
20210530_123718.jpg20210530_123006.jpg
Quite a few in the ugly pile now.
20210530_124111.jpg

Usually a carry permit is referring to a handgun carry permit, and in states like NY you can not own a handgun w/o a carry permit (either hunting/target or full carry).

State laws vary so much you would think we did not have a 2nd Amendment! It is so insane that even though I have a full carry in NYS (which means I was investigated by the FBI and other law enforcement) I am not allowed to carry in NYC!!! (Where else would I need it???). Also, NY has a magazine restriction on both handguns and rifles of 10 rounds (if it has a detachable magazine). If you have a tube fed lever action, you are allowed to have more.

Steve forgot to mention NJ, one of the worst states. There are cases where someone was transported an unloaded, cased, handgun in their trunk going from where it is legally owned it to a shooting event in another state (where it is legal), but they get busted going through NJ where it is illegal to transport it.

Stupidity has replaced common sense. The Mayor of NY talks about how we have to stop the flow of guns into the city ... which seems to acknowledge that the folks who live in NYC are not civilized enough to be around firearms w/o shooting one another.

The truth of the matter is that most folks in NYC are good people, but they are not allowed to have firearms to defend themselves, so the armed gang members are causing chaos in conjunction with the defund the police movement. Murders in NYC and most other major cities here have increased dramatically this year.

The more politicians focus on gun control, instead of criminal control (law enforcement), the worse the situation gets. Guns are just the scapegoat.

No one wants a return to the shootouts of the Wild West, but being a duck in a shooting gallery is even worse than that!
It's not illegal to transport a firearm in New Jersey . There must have been other factors involved

Federal Pre-exemption for Firearms Transported Through New Jersey. Federal law allows for transport of a firearm through any state, including New Jersey, under certain limited circumstances set forth in 18 U.S.C. 926A. This law pre-empts any state law to the contrary if the following apply: (1) Possession of the firearm was legal in the state of origin; (2) Possession will be lawful in the destination of the accused; (3) Possession is with a lawful purpose; (4) The handgun, shotgun, rifle or other firearm is unloaded; (5) The firearm and ammunition are not directly accessible from the passenger compartment; (6) The possessor is not a convicted felon, fugitive from justice or someone who has been dishonorable discharged; (7) The possessor is not an illegal alien or someone who renounced citizen to the United States; and (8) The possessor has not been adjudicated or committed because of a mental disability or defect.

From the federal law
prev | next
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console

It's hard even when you have a hr218 to carry in NYC because as I understand the carrier isnt allowed within a certain distance of a school zone . Just about every block has either a public or private school .

My carry
20200408_194339.jpg

I may have killed 'Old Faithful", F150 1989. Hauled a load 15 miles to a customer yesterday on the way back I noticed the temp gauge playing footsies with the peg. I kept waiting for it to boil over but it never did. Pulled into my driveway and it was rattling like a rock in a tin can. Shut down and instant cloud of steam. The truck had never ran hot. I checked dthe oil, i just added some day before) and it was normal. My brother, a professional ford mechanic back in the day will be visiting this afternoon and I'll have him take a look at it. I haven't even tried to start it yet. Rattling seems to be all top end.

I hate to have to buy another PU as I am 86. Sure won't hae time or need for a fancy one and dthat is all I see on the lots.

I do have a 1990 F150 crew cab, 8' bed (that's a rarity) I bought "in case" about 10 years ago that supposedly "burns a little oil". I don't want to put that on the road as it takes a 1/2 acre just to turn it around. Where I am cutting locust there just isn't any maneuvering room up the gully.

Possibility I am playing with. My old rider lawn mower and a two wheel trailer I was given parked at the site to use as a 'forwarder' to the bottom of the gully for the rounds and the 90 f150 to haul.

I may have killed 'Old Faithful", F150 1989.
Damn! Only 32 years old and giving you trouble . . . they sure don't build them like they used to . . . (how many miles on it?).

I remember as a kid (mid 1960's?) one of our neighbors had a flare side pickup truck he used for work (back when pickup trucks were mostly used for work), and he was complaining to my Father about how 'the steel was so much thinner on the newer pickups due to the cheap @#$*! automakers''! Not sure how many miles a typical 1965 pickup truck would get on the odometer before replacement.

Philbert

I may have killed 'Old Faithful", F150 1989. Hauled a load 15 miles to a customer yesterday on the way back I noticed the temp gauge playing footsies with the peg. I kept waiting for it to boil over but it never did. Pulled into my driveway and it was rattling like a rock in a tin can. Shut down and instant cloud of steam. The truck had never ran hot. I checked dthe oil, i just added some day before) and it was normal. My brother, a professional ford mechanic back in the day will be visiting this afternoon and I'll have him take a look at it. I haven't even tried to start it yet. Rattling seems to be all top end.

I hate to have to buy another PU as I am 86. Sure won't hae time or need for a fancy one and dthat is all I see on the lots.

I do have a 1990 F150 crew cab, 8' bed (that's a rarity) I bought "in case" about 10 years ago that supposedly "burns a little oil". I don't want to put that on the road as it takes a 1/2 acre just to turn it around. Where I am cutting locust there just isn't any maneuvering room up the gully.

Possibility I am playing with. My old rider lawn mower and a two wheel trailer I was given parked at the site to use as a 'forwarder' to the bottom of the gully for the rounds and the 90 f150 to haul.
Sounds like a blow head gasket.... straight 6?

Sounds like a blow head gasket.... straight 6?

Yep. 2 wheel drive and manual. About as basic as trucks went back then. 82K on the clock but it has turned over at least once. It was used and right out of the paint shed pretty cherry when I bought it. Body now looks like it would be rejected at a salvage yard.

And that's the beauty of being an American. I could buy a fully functioning military surplus tank and park it on my front lawn if I felt the need and no one would say a peep.
Haha. There is a guy in WV that deals in military vehicles. He always has Hummers and old Deuces. For a couple years he had a tank sitting at the entrance to his facility. I stopped and asked about it. First he said it wasn’t a tank. Looked like a tank to me, tracks, steel, cannon? So I asked what is it. A Mobile Howitzer. I asked what’s the difference? Basically the size of the gun. He said they were sending it to a big auction and they had a $70,000 reserve on it. He said it was a 70’s British unit with a Rolls V12 in it. He said that in the sale, they had the breech block, but you couldn’t install it unless you got a class III license. Said it falls under the same specifications as machine guns.

Damn! Only 32 years old and giving you trouble . . . they sure don't build them like they used to . . . (how many miles on it?).

I remember as a kid (mid 1960's?) one of our neighbors had a flare side pickup truck he used for work (back when pickup trucks were mostly used for work), and he was complaining to my Father about how 'the steel was so much thinner on the newer pickups due to the cheap @#$*! automakers''! Not sure how many miles a typical 1965 pickup truck would get on the odometer before replacement.

Philbert

My first truck was a 55 International Harvester, 1 ton, 8’ flat bed. I had it on the road in the early 70’s, and I think it was under 50K miles. When I sold my Dad’s 72 C30 it only had 70K on it. It had been a 5 day a week work truck till 78, when Dad bought the F600. Then it was only used on bigger jobs where the 12’ chipper box was full of chips, to haul wood home, until he retired in 86.

Hottest day of the year so far and a365 which won't start.... I'm dripping sweat from trying.

Fresh fuel, freshly mixed. I have a good spark, I smell fuel and the plug is getting wet so we seem to be getting fuel, air filter ok, I gave it a quick brush off anyway. Visually hoses seem ok. Decomp is pressed. Engine hasn't popped once. Maybe I flooded it... Plug out and left 20 minutes, still nothing. Getting peeved now. This see hasn't had a run in ~9 months but I ran it dry as always, then pulled the starter more with choke on to clear the carb. So.... Ideas?

I have a couple saws I can only choke for one pull, push the choke In and they start right up. No pop. If you leave the choke out, waiting for the pop, they will flood bad on the second pull. As far as fuel, I was cutting saw logs when Covid hit. The customers cancelled the job. My 660 was full, with 87 octane ethanol fuel, using Stihl Ultra. Sat till November, started and ran fine. I had another old saw on the shelf for almost two years. I decided to play with it, and went to fuel it up. Same thing, it was full of the same mix. I think the stabilizer in Stihl mix helps. I don’t advocate leaving fuel in anything for long periods. But, I’ve had several that got stuck back on the shelf with fuel in them and started right up. Maybe I just got lucky?

Latest posts

Back