Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you've never used it then using it now risks leakage. It will have carbonised over, using it will crack that and it can cause it not to seal
Thanks for the heads up. I will just keep on keepin on with what's been working for the last 9 yrs which is, don't touch it!

The scrounge wagon got reassigned to hot tub duty last night. Made amends by loading it with Sugar Maple and one errant round of Norway Maple. The MS460 got the call to buck these into barely liftable pieces. By myself, I'd have noodled to more manageable pieces but I had a couple young strong guys who loaded as I cut.
5799e905aad739552efb1ef505310007.jpg
6b362cac4a92b147a0e137f48e5f7eb2.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

How many blondes can you fit in the tub, d'ya reckon?

Thanks for the heads up. I will just keep on keepin on with what's been working for the last 9 yrs which is, don't touch it!

I don't use the decomp at all. I did get a nasty rap on the knuckles a couple of times trying to drop start a warm saw against the compression but now I only start with my foot on it or between my knees and no issues. Each to their own of course.

I've realised I got really dehydrated whichvs likely the main problem.... That and being unfit.
I saw that L-town had some serious heat the past few days. I try and avoid chainsaw work in the summer. I'll run the splitter early in the mornings when it's cooler. On the scrounging end of things I had a tree service guy stop and offered me free wood. :happy: He had worked for the utility co tree crew and did our pecan tree near the wires. We had talked saws back then and he remembered I messed with saws. He bought a busted MS201T and wondered about parts. I already got him a used recoil cover from my dealers salvage room.

In other scrounging news, I had to turn down a good opportunity. A local guy that I barely know, called me at the shop yesterday. He had cleared a bunch of trees and offered up as much as I wanted. Unfortunately I have way too much already and had to pass. If there was a bit more money in firewood, I could have a heck of a business!

I saw that L-town had some serious heat the past few days. I try and avoid chainsaw work in the summer. I'll run the splitter early in the mornings when it's cooler. On the scrounging end of things I had a tree service guy stop and offered me free wood. :happy: He had worked for the utility co tree crew and did our pecan tree near the wires. We had talked saws back then and he remembered I messed with saws. He bought a busted MS201T and wondered about parts. I already got him a used recoil cover from my dealers salvage room.
First bit of warm weather this year, April war really cold for is, most days work frost on record, may was damp and chilly, now it's finally hot! We've had 24, 25, 26, 27 all week, that's 75-81f,c and add always for us.... Humid.
Tomorrow is much cooler. If I avoid the rain I'll finish the tank of fuel in the saw and maybe do some more

Thanks!! I have been having problems trying to pull my 362 with it between my legs. Can't get it over the compression, have to put it on the ground and kneel on it. I'll give the deomp a try.

My experience with Stihls is that one pull after a cough with the choke still on will result in a flooded saw. Got reminded of that shortly after I left the hospital. Happened several times until I found that I wasn't hearing that "cough" wearing headsets.
This is what I recommend for guys having a hard time getting a saw to turn over fast enough.
It's worked for everyone so far.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392238636258?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 12.38.02 AM.png

The decomp works great but I found a steep learning curve listening for the stumble. It's very muted and you will ask yourself "yeah that couldn't have been it?" As you pull the rope half a dozen more times as your spark plug does the breast stroke in a sea of fuel mix! Now you gotta wait or pull it over a bajillion times and by that time you're so out of breath, you have no business holding a running chainsaw but by golly it's running now so over to the tree you go! Yep, if I ever have a heart attack, that's how they'll find me. Hunched over the first fresh cut round while the saw is happily idling away on the ground beside me "guh doo guh doo guh doo doo guh doo"
Yeah, so I don't use the decomp. On my husky 365xt it was helpful as that was a tougher saw to pull over. The ms460 starts fine without it although it does take a sharp yank on the rope.

Back