Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I reckon I flooded it, it's hard to hear it pop with decomp in and I read they have a tendency to struggle to start with decomp in (mine has been fine). When I pulled the top cover it was wet, clearly fuel coming out the stuck decomp. Pulled out out, cycled it, left it out, saw started but idle is slow so am giving it a tune

Hottest day of the year so far and a365 which won't start.... I'm dripping sweat from trying.

Fresh fuel, freshly mixed. I have a good spark, I smell fuel and the plug is getting wet so we seem to be getting fuel, air filter ok, I gave it a quick brush off anyway. Visually hoses seem ok. Decomp is pressed. Engine hasn't popped once. Maybe I flooded it... Plug out and left 20 minutes, still nothing. Getting peeved now. This see hasn't had a run in ~9 months but I ran it dry as always, then pulled the starter more with choke on to clear the carb. So.... Ideas?
Till I got to the next page ya had it runnin Neil. Ha ha. I was gonna say put a new plug in and try.

Was up at the cabin Sat/Sun with a Daughter and family, and Mech Matt and some of his family / relatives.

Had a good time even though it rained most of the time, and temps went down to 35* F.

Did a lot of outside work with rain gear on, but that did not facilitate pics!
Sounds like woodstove temps Mike. I know 40's here this weekend was.

Yea, with all the rain and cool temps, the 55 gal drum stove was run constantly day and night, both for warmth and cooking, and to dry out clothes!

Hard to believe a 1/2 week ago I went for my first "solo" bike ride of the year, and when I got back to the house is was 88* and I thought I was going to die!

Drank a lot of fluids that day, and you can't start with anything that has alcohol.

Not really wood related scrounging, but kind of is. I rescued this workbench from a dumpster YEARS ago at a place I use to work at. Covered in oil and grime which I cleaned off and painted. The top was a solid wood top clad in a piece of galvanized steel sheet. I cleaned the oil off that and mounted it on a wall in my garage of the house I had recently built. Well that was it. Piled a bunch a junk on it and forgot about it. Needing a place to work on the ill fated 046 I bought last year, I cleaned a section of my garage and moved this bench down the wall. I originally scrounged it due to the fact that the metal top would be perfect for working on oily things. Easy clean up. so now it's my chainsaw work bench (wood related). I'm making a welding station to the right of it, installing a couple of power strips and a vise, and a halogen shop light over head. And of course, more cleaning is needed.
IMG_0546.JPG

think i over did it. when you re used to being fit i guess you can go at stuff fast and then...boom! i suddenly felt awful. after a sit down i'd recovered only a little but got the saw and axe put away then went to lie down and fell asleep for a couple of hours. awake now and eaten, still feeling exhausted but better than i was. life as a fat, aging, lump sucks!

think i over did it. when you re used to being fit i guess you can go at stuff fast and then...boom! i suddenly felt awful. after a sit down i'd recovered only a little but got the saw and axe put away then went to lie down and fell asleep for a couple of hours. awake now and eaten, still feeling exhausted but better than i was. life as a fat, aging, lump sucks!
I resemble that comment!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Yep. 2 wheel drive and manual. About as basic as trucks went back then. 82K on the clock but it has turned over at least once. It was used and right out of the paint shed pretty cherry when I bought it. Body now looks like it would be rejected at a salvage yard.

Old faithful lives!!!. Brother, professional mechanic back in the day, was here. Truck fired up with turn of key, Bit of revving and inspection and he found the leak. As I suspected it was a leak under pressure only. There is some kind of small gizmo at the top, front, right on engine that has something to do with the heating/air conditioner with a two hoses (in/'out) attached. coolant leaks when radiator pressure comes up. Brother says to just connecdt the two hoses together and cut the gizmo out of the circuit. I won't have A/C but that died 20 years ago anyhow.

Off to town with it in the morning to body shop to have right rear taillight lens installed (backed into a tree) then to the grange for an appointment to work on the hoses.

Shucky darn, I was all set up to go buy another PU tomorrow.

The scrounge wagon got reassigned to hot tub duty last night. Made amends by loading it with Sugar Maple and one errant round of Norway Maple. The MS460 got the call to buck these into barely liftable pieces. By myself, I'd have noodled to more manageable pieces but I had a couple young strong guys who loaded as I cut.
5799e905aad739552efb1ef505310007.jpg
6b362cac4a92b147a0e137f48e5f7eb2.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Old faithful lives!!!. Brother, professional mechanic back in the day, was here. Truck fired up with turn of key, Bit of revving and inspection and he found the leak. As I suspected it was a leak under pressure only. There is some kind of small gizmo at the top, front, right on engine that has something to do with the heating/air conditioner with a two hoses (in/'out) attached. coolant leaks when radiator pressure comes up. Brother says to just connecdt the two hoses together and cut the gizmo out of the circuit. I won't have A/C but that died 20 years ago anyhow.

Off to town with it in the morning to body shop to have right rear taillight lens installed (backed into a tree) then to the grange for an appointment to work on the hoses.

Shucky darn, I was all set up to go buy another PU tomorrow.
Glad to hear it wasn't anything major with the old gal..

Was up at the cabin Sat/Sun with a Daughter and family, and Mech Matt and some of his family / relatives.

Had a good time even though it rained most of the time, and temps went down to 35* F.

Did a lot of outside work with rain gear on, but that did not facilitate pics!
Just the week before I spent a three day weekend at our cabin with a half dozen of my buddies and cut and split wood in the mid-80's. Would have much preferred about 40 less temp, but have to admit the dry weather was a nice break:

IMG_9366.jpg

Just the week before I spent a three day weekend at our cabin with a half dozen of my buddies and cut and split wood in the mid-80's. Would have much preferred about 40 less temp, but have to admit the dry weather was a nice break:
Nothing like free Labor and free Wood!

Yeah I reckon I flooded it, it's hard to hear it pop with decomp in and I read they have a tendency to struggle to start with decomp in (mine has been fine).
Yes they do. I bought mine new in 2012 and actually took it back to the dealer a couple weeks later after it refused to start for about the 10th time and I sent it flying through the woods a couple of times when I couldn't take it anymore. One time I counted over 100 pulls before it finally coughed! Dealer said everything checked out fine and nothing wong with it. Learned soon after that to not use decompression. Haven't used it since and it has never failed to start. (Knock on wood)

Yes they do. I bought mine new in 2012 and actually took it back to the dealer a couple weeks later after it refused to start for about the 10th time and I sent it flying through the woods a couple of times when I couldn't take it anymore. One time I counted over 100 pulls before it finally coughed! Dealer said everything checked out fine and nothing wong with it. Learned soon after that to not use decompression. Haven't used it since and it has never failed to start. (Knock on wood)
Forgot to add that 1 or 2 or as many as 5 or 6 hard pulls still beats the heck of 100 plus easy pulls!

I never use the decomp for a cold start, only use it after the saw is warm for an easy re start.

Thanks!! I have been having problems trying to pull my 362 with it between my legs. Can't get it over the compression, have to put it on the ground and kneel on it. I'll give the deomp a try.

My experience with Stihls is that one pull after a cough with the choke still on will result in a flooded saw. Got reminded of that shortly after I left the hospital. Happened several times until I found that I wasn't hearing that "cough" wearing headsets.

Latest posts

Back