Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news scroungers. Mostly. I was looking at FB marketplace this morning and saw a Dewalt miter saw like the one I had stolen along with the chainsaws. Called the cops to inform them and when my trooper called me back he said they had already recovered mine and 2 of my saws. :happybanana: Found in a pawn shop in Baltimore. Didn't locate my 026 or 036. Just waiting on paperwork so I can go pick them up.

Good news scroungers. Mostly. I was looking at FB marketplace this morning and saw a Dewalt miter saw like the one I had stolen along with the chainsaws. Called the cops to inform them and when my trooper called me back he said they had already recovered mine and 2 of my saws. :happybanana: Found in a pawn shop in Baltimore. Didn't locate my 026 or 036. Just waiting on paperwork so I can go pick them up.
Sounds like they were like, "okay guys, this one won't stop calling until we get his stuff back, let's get this perp":laughing:.
Glad you're getting stuff back right away, if it goes much longer that doesn't usually happen.
There's a nice looking 026 and an 036 up this way if you don't get yours back and want to replace them.
A buddy of mine who isn't on the forums had about 20 saws stolen out of a covered trailer not far from here when he was moving, most were ported and there were multiple 880's, 3120's, 660's a ported 395.... Very nice guy who'd do anything for anyone, and he's pretty sure one of the guys he helped returned the favor buy stealing from him :buttkick:.

Thanks for all the pics and vids, and it is great to have such nice help, put please tell Cowgirl that I cringe when I see her splitting w/o boots on, and although they would not look as nice, jeans also provide a bit more protection.
You're absolutely right, Mike. She originally was only coming up to take some pics but then thought she'd do something useful. As @LondonNeil noted, short wifey hitting rounds on the ground a long way in front of her using a long handled implement looked ok. I was actually more concerned about lack of eye protection, I've had bits bounce of my sunnies when I've been splitting. We'll be a bit better organised next time ... which might be today :surprised3:

Good news FS. At least you got your new saws back. How far is Baltimore from you?
Thanks. 50 miles give or take. Not sure the conversion to kilometers. The 036 was just a great running saw. Not a lot of nice ones around anymore except the shelf queen I have. I had it covered and the thief didn't see it.

Big thumbs up. Excellent news Farmer Steve, I’ve only ever had one thing stolen from me when I was a first year apprentice Toolmaker. I used to ride my XR250 to the railway station car park once a week to go into town to technical college. One day I got back in the afternoon and it was gone but I had parked it directly under a security camera. I spoke to the station master who passed the video onto the cops. They had footage of two guys picking it up and putting it into a van.
Anyway the cops got a warrant and found a drug lab, hydroponics set up and stacks of stolen gear at the guys house. Got my bike back two weeks later. I was very happy as it was my life’s savings at the time and getting to work without it was very difficult.
As I said keep your chin up and look what happened to you.

A friend just came by with his Stihl 261 saw that he needed help with.

Just one question. What kind of Mickey Mouse company engineers a saw that you can only remove the spark plug with an open end wrench?

No wonder I like orange saws.

Oh, and I read the "261" off the starter, and Michael asked "what does that mean?" I said, "Damn if I know." If it was a Husky it would mean it's 61ccs, but that's no 61cc saw.

Took the tree down next to my house. Thankfully it fell the right way lol. What do you guys think of this notch? I’m sure I screwed it up somehow but it’s just my second notch.

Attachments

• 8F4DCE99-47BC-43C1-B188-2CFFD6187DA1.jpeg
    8F4DCE99-47BC-43C1-B188-2CFFD6187DA1.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 26
  • F4A11DE8-3634-4338-8C67-FABC03A6FECF.jpeg
    F4A11DE8-3634-4338-8C67-FABC03A6FECF.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 27
  • F7D19988-3FD9-4C03-B0EB-A5D42101E6C1.jpeg
    F7D19988-3FD9-4C03-B0EB-A5D42101E6C1.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 26
I've never cut a tree in my life, so it's far better tan any of mine. however, i think someone knowledgeable might say, gob cut a little deep, hinge a wee bit thin, especially on one side. I assume that is the first round above the stump, not the stump? Else its upside down (back cut should be above the notch/gob)

Took the tree down next to my house. Thankfully it fell the right way lol. What do you guys think of this notch? I’m sure I screwed it up somehow but it’s just my second notch.
Glad it fell the right way. The more experienced fellas can correct me if I'm wrong. It appears to me the backcut was too high and the notch looks like it's about 1/2 the tree deep. I usually try for about 1/3 the depth of the tree.

Ugh, took the Rattler 254 down into the woods to cut on a downed ash that was blocking the one trail. Took some apples down in the loader bucket for the deer, then used it to move the log.

Well, I noticed when I was cutting that the handle was pinching me. Sure enough, there are two cracks!!! Ugh, this saw was near perfect :(

Any tips on glueing it? Was gonna glue it and then the wife thought maybe some grip tape over that area also? Gonna run it as is as I hunt for a clean handle/tank.

5A3A49E1-C211-4386-B395-5F7C656A4004.jpeg

Latest posts

Back