Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully @H-Ranch has recovered from the weekend onslaught of pics and vids. I got the word from another bloke in town who had had one small and one medium spotted gum taken down and would I like the main stems (he had already topped them)? Well, if I must.

I had to wait a couple of days though because my football team (Melbourne) made the AFL grand final for the first time in 21 years, and if they actually managed to win it, it would be their first premiership in 57 years. This time they did it and I've been a bit tired and emotional since, and I've also watched the replay about 27 times so I didn't have time for scrounging.

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/vide...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1632716326001
Anyway, today I got out after it.

28th Sep 1.jpg

This was the larger one, maybe 20 inches at the fat end.

28th Sep 2.jpg

Then there was this.

28th Sep 3.jpg

Which became this

28th Sep 4.jpg

Got it all loaded up, maybe 1.5 cubes in the trailer and another half a cube in the ute.

28th Sep 5.jpg

28th Sep 6.jpg

I unloaded the trailer and found that I could peel the thick bark off. I haven't burned spotted gum before - it is reputed to be good stuff - but the bark looks reminiscent of candlebark and though that wood is good, the bark is trash.

:)

Other bounty from scrounging in the woods. Giant puffball mushroom. This is my third. Biggest puffball I ever saw, we split it in 3. I cubed some and fried in butter and tossed in a handful of leeks. Froze the rest.
344afe13ee11f9fdbd29f5ba5935b7f2.jpg
8f96d8d139080932e24dc3bdd9be84af.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I've loaded the pointed Hornady LeverEvolution bullets in both my 348 and 30-30 this year.

Unfortunately, they stopped selling the 348 bullets (they now only sell the fully loaded ammo). A shame, they shoot well with the same powder used for previous bullets.

The 30-30 was more difficult to get things to work well, but IMO it is worth doing. The Marlin guns s/b no problem as they have a 1-10 twist and can handle more pressure than a model 94.

The Model 94 has a 1-12 twist, and the 30 cal bullets are both pointed and have a boat tail, so they are harder to stabilize. (The 348 bullets are just pointed). The 30 cal bullets in a 94 need to be driven faster to stabilize them, which at Model 94 pressures can only be done by obtaining the LeverEvolution powder. (Specifically designed to provide more velocity for 30-30, 32 Special and 35 Rem at low pressure).

Luckily, the powder is available at reasonable prices. With the increased MV and greatly increased BC, the new 30-30 load provides as much energy at 200 yds as the old loads do at 100 yds.

Unfortunately, they also shoot much higher than traditional bullets, so you will need to adjust your sights (about 5-6" high at 100 yds).

I also installed peep sights on both rifles to aid my old eyes with shot placement.

FYI, hand loading the 30-30 with current day prices is about 70 cents per round for this bullet, the factory loaded bullets are about $2.30 per round.
Boy, get busy and miss a few weeks and you wind up 50 pages back. I have a Ruger #3 one off, in 25-35, with a Leupold 1.5X5, and shoot the Hornady factory LE's. It loves them. You can shoot a squirrel in the eye at 50 yards, and in the head at 100, virtually 100% of the time. Next to my 1919 NRA Match Rifle, 22, I think the Ruger is my most accurate rifle. I had my hopes up bidding on a Remington/Hepburn target rifle in 32-40. But I bent the deck on my JD X540, $1400 and change, and had the PTO go out on another tractor. So, I guess I'll just watch it go by.

I just picked up a Henry All Weather in .357/.38. Actually, my Dad bought a pair for him and I.

I ordered a 180gr mold for it so I can work up some whitetail loads. Excited to see how she does. Will run it after I tag one with my main deer rifle (a .450 Bushmaster AR) ;0)3B4F4CAB-0C9E-4D60-BD7E-03146E02E94E.jpeg

Nice that in addition to all weather it has sling swivels! Not many Lever actions come with them, my Model 71 did, but I installed them on my Model 95.

IMO, it is not a hunting rifle if it does not have a sling. You don't want to have to "carry" a rifle on a long deer drag!
Agreed.

Am in the process of having a couple of nice leather slings made up for Pops and I for them.

Firewood sales took a jump.
Splitting and stacking some Beech. Two tops were taken out by another huge near by tree limb. A friend dropped the two bare trunks, maybe twenty feet each, 18", just guessing, for us and cut them into rounds while house sitting here. We were RV camping (and rock hunting) for the second short trip in two years.
Beautiful stuff when split. Quartered it with the Fiskers. That's a young mans game. And that's been awhile. Split on the SuperSplit.

65050185587__A727BE75-FF0A-44C2-B982-356DE11A9D4F.jpg

I have been noticeing a lot of ads on fb looking for firewood. Another thing I have noticed is those looking seem to have a better ideal as to what quality firewood actually is and how much wood it takes to make a cord. I think that is a good thing for the folks in the business for the long term. The fly by night's might get knocked out of the game early. Wont effect me either way because I dont sell firewood.

Could be a bumper year for wood sellers here. I'm just very glad I've got plenty CSS and ready for this winter and next. Wholesale gas prices have shot up as Russia/gazprom is restricting supply. This is having a dramatic effect and to electricity costs as we will have a good amount of gas power stations. The wholesale prices are above the government set price cap for sale to domestic end users and our energy market is in turmoil with several suppliers folding in the last month. I read one article suggesting three market could go from 70 to about 10. My supplier folded a week ago. There are no cheap tariffs available to sign up to, it's the capped price now, and most people will see big price hikes as a result...50% increase our maybe more. Thankfully the wood stoves insulate me from this to a large extent, although the electricity will still be expensive.

Could be a bumper year for wood sellers here. I'm just very glad I've got plenty CSS and ready for this winter and next. Wholesale gas prices have shot up as Russia/gazprom is restricting supply. This is having a dramatic effect and to electricity costs as we will have a good amount of gas power stations. The wholesale prices are above the government set price cap for sale to domestic end users and our energy market is in turmoil with several suppliers folding in the last month. I read one article suggesting three market could go from 70 to about 10. My supplier folded a week ago. There are no cheap tariffs available to sign up to, it's the capped price now, and most people will see big price hikes as a result...50% increase our maybe more. Thankfully the wood stoves insulate me from this to a large extent, although the electricity will still be expensive.
This is what happens when everyone is hooked up to the gas pipe including our electricity producers. I fear there are going to be major disruptions to the gas supply in the near future. People were sold on cheap heat here in the US so anyone who could got hooked up to the pipe. Now with coal power plants being taken off line there will be more demand on a limited supply of nat gas along with many more electric cars and I think we may have a perfect storm for gas disruptions in the US as well. Hopefully I'm wrong.

This is what happens when everyone is hooked up to the gas pipe including our electricity producers. I fear there are going to be major disruptions to the gas supply in the near future. People were sold on cheap heat here in the US so anyone who could got hooked up to the pipe. Now with coal power plants being taken off line there will be more demand on a limited supply of nat gas along with many more electric cars and I think we may have a perfect storm for gas disruptions in the US as well. Hopefully I'm wrong.
And the cheap gas fired plants have helped shut down several nuclear plants that couldn't compete on the power prices. That will change with gas prices rising. The nuke plants won't be back. Zero carbon, reasonable price and very reliable power. We will rue the day they shut down.

I’ve heard of individuals running into suspected perp on the street somewhere and recommending that said items be returned. Often they reappear.
Had my fish house get broken into a couple years ago as I never lock the dead bolt. They channel locked the regular door handle. I have a reputation as being pretty persistent and not so nice when you screw me over. Talked to a couple of people around and like two days later my rattle reels were put back up and I had a new lock set with an apology note in the fish house. Have not had an issue since.

Hope you find your other saws FS!

So, no one is cutting back on electric usage, in fact with electric cars we are increasing it. We are shutting down the Nuc plants like Indian Point, and we are not allowing new gas pipelines or drilling on Federal lands.

What could go wrong???
Don't worry, we'll just ruin the west with solar and wind farms.

Latest posts

Back