Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My electric bill this month was $287.00 up from the normal $154.00 ish last month. Called the electric company and spazed out on them. Was basically told to suck it up, cause it's not gonna get cheaper. I've kept years worth of bills and went back through to check usage. I'm lower in usage this year then any month last year yet the bill has sky rocked.

My electric bill this month was $287.00 up from the normal $154.00 ish last month. Called the electric company and spazed out on them. Was basically told to suck it up, cause it's not gonna get cheaper. I've kept years worth of bills and went back through to check usage. I'm lower in usage this year then any month last year yet the bill has sky rocked.
You're in PA. Who have you picked for an electric supplier? Isn't it on a guaranteed rate?

Had my fish house get broken into a couple years ago as I never lock the dead bolt. They channel locked the regular door handle. I have a reputation as being pretty persistent and not so nice when you screw me over. Talked to a couple of people around and like two days later my rattle reels were put back up and I had a new lock set with an apology note in the fish house. Have not had an issue since.

Hope you find your other saws FS!
My dad's friend used to own the IHC dealership in town. He always had first class stuff. One day he walked into his boathouse and the 25 hp on his fishing boat was gone. He called up one dude in the neighboring town and simply said "(name), my 25 horse went missing".

The next morning the motor was back on the boat.

I had ap&g as my power supplier. Now im back with met ed. The you get to pick your provider is half a joke, you need to watch contract lengths and renew or cancel at just the right time or the company reverts you to a much higher rate. At least met ed has been pretty uniform in rates and price increases have been incremental instead of all at once and subject to the open market prices, which with the last supplier they are a Gass based electric company. Gas is going up so they hiked the rates. Add in a $70.00 transmission fee from met ed, and it doesn't take long to rack up a heck of a bill. I'm going to see what next month's bill is like before trying to sift through all the wing nuts offering a "good deal" I may just stick with met ed for the time being.

Power companies up here are a monopoly. They are all nice to someone until they have a hardship and can't pay the bill...and they can (and do) shut people off in the winter if they feel like it. Plus all of their monthly fees account to between 60-110 bucks a month depending on your location before you even draw a single watt of energy. People are disconnecting their seasonal cabins and buying generators. Home owners are going to solar and then sell back the extra energy to the "co-op" who buys it and resells at a loss.

So, no one is cutting back on electric usage, in fact with electric cars we are increasing it. We are shutting down the Nuc plants like Indian Point, and we are not allowing new gas pipelines or drilling on Federal lands.

What could go wrong???
Ask Texas how wind power and solar power worked last winter. I see big combines in the corn fields here now. Wonder how many acres they could cut with battery power.

Well I stopped in to say I used my splitter in the horizontal position today and it seems I'm off topic :laughing: .
The good thing for us, in regards to the current topic, is that we have service thru a local electric provider. They've always been great and the price is less than the others around, been wondering how long until a large corp buys them up.
Anyway, a little mulberry and hard(sugar) maple, and as stated above, horizontal lol.
20210929_122506.jpg
20210929_122439.jpg
Found a nail deep inside a mulberry round.
20210929_111802.jpg

I had ap&g as my power supplier. Now im back with met ed. The you get to pick your provider is half a joke, you need to watch contract lengths and renew or cancel at just the right time or the company reverts you to a much higher rate. At least met ed has been pretty uniform in rates and price increases have been incremental instead of all at once and subject to the open market prices, which with the last supplier they are a Gass based electric company. Gas is going up so they hiked the rates. Add in a $70.00 transmission fee from met ed, and it doesn't take long to rack up a heck of a bill. I'm going to see what next month's bill is like before trying to sift through all the wing nuts offering a "good deal" I may just stick with met ed for the time being.
Think we're using First Energy for generation, have WestPenn for distribution. The wife shops all of that.
We've got a 36 month locked rate that's only about 6 months old. She likes to find a decent rate and lock it in for an extended period. Think our last bill was in the $75 range but its a small house.

This is what happens when everyone is hooked up to the gas pipe including our electricity producers. I fear there are going to be major disruptions to the gas supply in the near future. People were sold on cheap heat here in the US so anyone who could got hooked up to the pipe. Now with coal power plants being taken off line there will be more demand on a limited supply of nat gas along with many more electric cars and I think we may have a perfect storm for gas disruptions in the US as well. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Yes and no. I'm on Natural gas, and there's no way in hell you could justify using another source to heat a small ranch house. However, cut me off, and I have dry wood stacked up, ready to go. I could cut a whole in the roof and jam a wood stove in this place in a weekend and still be stirring a pot of chili while drinking beer when the Lions kick off to lose at 1:00 PM on Sunday. Most folks in my neighborhood have the resources to do it as well.

Had my fish house get broken into a couple years ago as I never lock the dead bolt. They channel locked the regular door handle. I have a reputation as being pretty persistent and not so nice when you screw me over. Talked to a couple of people around and like two days later my rattle reels were put back up and I had a new lock set with an apology note in the fish house. Have not had an issue since.

Hope you find your other saws FS!
The only thing some of these guys know about ice fishing is what they saw on Grumpy Old Men. Probably a bunch of guys scratching there heads wondering what a rattle reel is.

Well I stopped in to say I used my splitter in the horizontal position today and it seems I'm off topic :laughing: .
The good thing for us, in regards to the current topic, is that we have service thru a local electric provider. They've always been great and the price is less than the others around, been wondering how long until a large corp buys them up.
Anyway, a little mulberry and hard(sugar) maple, and as stated above, horizontal lol.
View attachment 932110
View attachment 932111
View attachment 932112
PM your address. I am going to send you some gloves.

View attachment 932110
View attachment 932111
View attachment 932112
Did you get a new phone? Your pictures no longer have that fuzzy 70's glamour shot look to them. ;)

View attachment 932110
View attachment 932111
View attachment 932112
I need to be doing this asap. Been too busy with work, and then more work on the farm. We got some pigs and had to out up fence, etc. Wofe and son did most of the post holes while I was at work, then the wife and I cemented them in, and then attached the woven wire.

Oct. is a busy month, but I'm hoping to get my wood season started. Luckily I almost have enough "extra" stacked wood from last season to refill the one bay we burned our of last winter.

Scrounged another load of big chunks
845a3eedf4800835f0126f31b1cdb212.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Need to amp up my wood splitting as well. The pile of logs out back is year two so they are ready. Got the little backhoe running good again. (Bad fuel pump this time) so getting the logs off the ground should be pretty easy now. Have a bunch of beach that's ready to be split as well. Whenever we get the title back and I can pick up my new to me trailer I have a fence row to clear out as well. Really need to start that here soon. Have a small trim job in a few weeks as well. Feeling a bit rusty as I haven't climbed (in a tree) much this year. Glad it's not a top down. Guess I should go over the ms 192tc. Archery season starts this weekend too, I don't plan to put significant time in the woods, if I'm being honest I most likely won't get to hunt at all this year. Just way too busy and not enough time off. Always next year lol.

Ask Texas how wind power and solar power worked last winter. I see big combines in the corn fields here now. Wonder how many acres they could cut with battery power.
Texas is a whole different situation. They didnt pony up for winterized equipment funny how turbines and solar work in upstate NY and most of the northern states ,Canada and Alaska where it gets way colder than it did in Texas last winter. Even their natural gas stopped .

Guess I should share. Just finished this up last night. 562xp number 2. Got this from Ohio rich. New case (bearings were more then a new case) dabbled with the cylinder a bit. New clutch and rim drive, and a muff mod. Had planned to run it today, but had other things to get done. I did fire it for a bit. Fired the fourth pull. Sounded pretty good. Hope to get cutting with it here soon.

Attachments

• 20210929_202435.jpg
    20210929_202435.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back