Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually separate stacks by species, but I have so much and so many different kinds that it's mostly mixed by hardwood/softwood. Of course the locust will make it to the locust stack. :sweet:

Knee is sore today but not as bad as I was expecting. I'll be calling this week to see if I can even get on the schedule for a knee replacement though - probably not a good time to be needing it.
I need one knee replacement (and likely two). In today's world I'm not in any hurry. Also not looking forward to the rehab. I know my limitations now.......not sure where I'd be with a replacement and how long to recover.

Basically that engine oil flush is kerosene. And with modern oils there shouldnt be any need to do one unless you get funky stuff in the oil. On the bottle says run engine no more than 5 mins or something to that effect or else probly bearings and bushings and stuff go bad.
Did I read the OP wrong? I was talking about cooling system flush.

I need one knee replacement (and likely two). In today's world I'm not in any hurry. Also not looking forward to the rehab. I know my limitations now.......not sure where I'd be with a replacement and how long to recover.
Last yr my mom hot a knee done, she was using a walker for 2 weeks then tossed it aside. This year she got here other knee done and was up and running after a week with the walker. Then her hip done a bit later and she wasn't on the walker but one day. She's 75!

I usually separate stacks by species, but I have so much and so many different kinds that it's mostly mixed by hardwood/softwood. Of course the locust will make it to the locust stack. :sweet:

Knee is sore today but not as bad as I was expecting. I'll be calling this week to see if I can even get on the schedule for a knee replacement though - probably not a good time to be needing it.
I don't worry about separating it much as I'll just grab what I need as I need it. Tonight I ran out and grabbed an armful of small rounds, nothing over 3", they work great to fill in the top of the larger splits and they burn hot. By the time I shut my stove down after refilling it the top inside was glowing a bit, the temp gauge wasn't even up to 500 yet.
Not a good time, but because of that many places have noone in there getting anything done. Who knows, maybe you can get in in the next 4-6 weeks and be back up and running before spring. If you need a hand cutting and splitting I'd be happy to get some guys together and help, but you'll need to get the kids to stack:laughing:.

Ran a tank through the 011 and it never skipped a beat. Chain was a little dull but I wanted to give it a good workout. I'll sharpen it and give the saw back. View attachment 956635
One of the few stihl saws I like the color of :happy:.
Looks like she was doing a great job.

I haven't been in a hurry either. Doc said I would need a replacement knee in 2 years... about 5 years ago. I've been getting along OK, even still play basketball, but I think my time has just about run out. I know they get you up and walking on it right away now - in my best case scenario I'd have surgery in May then back playing ball in September. Surgeon said that was aggressive, but possible.

I don't worry about separating it much as I'll just grab what I need as I need it. Tonight I ran out and grabbed an armful of small rounds, nothing over 3", they work great to fill in the top of the larger splits and they burn hot. By the time I shut my stove down after refilling it the top inside was glowing a bit, the temp gauge wasn't even up to 500 yet.
Not a good time, but because of that many places have noone in there getting anything done. Who knows, maybe you can get in in the next 4-6 weeks and be back up and running before spring. If you need a hand cutting and splitting I'd be happy to get some guys together and help, but you'll need to get the kids to stack:laughing:.
Going to need it here tonight :cold: Was 5°F when I looked out awhile ago. My guess is you'll be up in the night to reload the burner at this rate will be below zero by the morning.

Few years ago I went to advanced auto to buy some Motorcycle oil . Bought 4 qts girl rings it up and says 5 and change . Look at the receipt the oil was marked down from 6.99 to 1.25 believe it was Valvoline synthetic . Go back in and bought the 2 cases they had and had her do a store transfer of 4 cases from 3 stores all that was on hand . Other guy behind the counter was pissed he didnt know about the "sale" . Seems corporate change the price overnight to move it out without notifying the stores. Doesn't go bad and I have 4 bikes .

I also bought this at lowes yesterday for 1.97 each bought 4 gallons . Figure it will be good to seal end grain on logs I'm going to millView attachment 956239
Few years ago I went to advanced auto to buy some Motorcycle oil . Bought 4 qts girl rings it up and says 5 and change . Look at the receipt the oil was marked down from 6.99 to 1.25 believe it was Valvoline synthetic . Go back in and bought the 2 cases they had and had her do a store transfer of 4 cases from 3 stores all that was on hand . Other guy behind the counter was pissed he didnt know about the "sale" . Seems corporate change the price overnight to move it out without notifying the stores. Doesn't go bad and I have 4 bikes .

I also bought this at lowes yesterday for 1.97 each bought 4 gallons . Figure it will be good to seal end grain on logs I'm going to millView attachment 956239
Some very nice vehicles you have there my first car was a 1966 Chevelle always liked the 66 and 67 body style I just sold my dads 1968 C30 longhorn last month those 67 to 72 trucks are real popular these days sort of wish I had kept the Longhorn but to many projects going

That's a nice even stack right there HR those cuts are all very uniform how are you marking for your cuts?
Ha! Yeah, they all look the same length from the front side, huh? (And my girls don't stack quite as uniform as I do.) I generally eyeball 18-20", but cut logs to a length that makes sense. 60" log might be 3 - 20", 72" might be 4 - 18", 44" might be 2 - 20" and a 4" chunk. And I may cut to avoid a fork. The cottonwood loads I started with from this tree service measured 15-21" when I checked that stack for curiosity.

Ha! Yeah, they all look the same length from the front side, huh? (And my girls don't stack quite as uniform as I do.) I generally eyeball 18-20", but cut logs to a length that makes sense. 60" log might be 3 - 20", 72" might be 4 - 18", 44" might be 2 - 20" and a 4" chunk. And I may cut to avoid a fork. The cottonwood loads I started with from this tree service measured 15-21" when I checked that stack for curiosity.
I remember cottonwood well we had tons of it when I was a kid and that was the firewood burnt like paper. Really hot while it lasted but went up quick. I would spend all night spliting with a 6 pounder and wedges when I got home from school and noodling big logs with a Mac 10-10 still have it too.

I used to consider a 20 mi bike ride a warmup, and every WE we did 60-70 mi one day.

But now, 20 mi seems good enough for me!

To ride long distance, you have to do it often, and I have so many other things going on now, and almost all my riding friends no longer do it.
Yeah... long distance touring is all about perseverance. Day after day getting on the bike and riding... 1,500, 1,600, 3100+ miles... typically 50-55 miles per day with some over a 100. All a great time! Felling snags and cleaning up fallen trees on the rail trails to keep them open... grabbing firewood along the way. More great times!

Going to need it here tonight :cold: Was 5°F when I looked out awhile ago. My guess is you'll be up in the night to reload the burner at this rate will be below zero by the morning.
Yep.
Its 9 here now and dropping to -2 so they say.
I'll definitely be up refilling it, unless it gets too cold to get out of bed lol. I plan on loading it up in another hr and a half, then we'll see how far that gets me. Our wood burner is a great size, but when it gets down like tonight it won't keep up. The other next size up would be a pain in the shoulder season, so what's a guy to do. If it was staying below 10 degrees for a while I'd just get the pellet stove fired up :).

Yep.
I'll definitely be up refilling it, unless it gets too cold to get out of bed lol. I plan on loading it up in another hr and a half, then we'll see how far that gets me. Our wood burner is a great size, but when it gets down like tonight it won't keep up. The other next size up would be a pain in the shoulder season, so what's a guy to do. If it was staying below 10 degrees for a while I'd just get the pellet stove fired up :).
I believe it. This has been a cold start to January. It was mild for the last couple years. We had that stint of -30 back a couple years ago when that gas line crisis happened. That was the last time I remember it being really bad besides the vortex year. It doesn't make sense to buy the size up when we only get those winters once every 4 years I think you made the right call expecially when you have the pellet stove.

I wheel barrowed this load from my backyard to my trailer for a member on another forum. Mostly Oak and Norway Maple, with some Hickory and Beech. The trailer won't fit through the gate.

Had to do paperwork all morning and early afternoon, so I was just busting to get outside and do something.

My wife told me I was crazy because it stayed under 10 F all day, but to be honest I did not get cold till I took off my Under Armor gloves to take this pic ... then my fingers froze up fast!

Attachments

• IMG_20220115_162536646_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220115_162536646_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 15
Made lots of chips tonight trying to get a good supply built up. First year at the new place with a few ash and elm already down to burn.
982173c13e1efa9ef34be641fbab1fa5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Never done an engine flush, least not since the upgraded anti-freeze to not need changing every year or two.

With the modern synthetic oils, is there really any purpose to it?
I hadn't before and had no idea hence asking my friend the mechanic. He had a can be been given and passed it on to me so I tried it. It's done something, car is running at 5-8C lower oil temp now, I'm very surprised, but quite impressed.

When I was scrounging pallets for the local company, she told me "DO NOT" bring in any Blue Chep pallets. They lease theirs, and she could not reuse them. I think they had a big Canadian factory that supplied a lot of the US. She said the average life span of the average Oak, Beech, Maple pallets was 7 years, and sold for about $13-$15 new. She sold her remanufactured pallets for $7. I think she said, at the time, Chep got $25 or $35 apiece for theirs. But, if you had a lease with them, and a pallet failed, they just gave you a new one. Chep pallets are made much heavier than a standard US pallet, but are often made of Spruce, Pine, Fir.
So, the lesson there is that the Chep pallets burn better and give you the most BTU's :)

Some very nice vehicles you have there my first car was a 1966 Chevelle always liked the 66 and 67 body style I just sold my dads 1968 C30 longhorn last month those 67 to 72 trucks are real popular these days sort of wish I had kept the Longhorn but to many projects going
Welcome to the site

Yep.
Almost need 2 stoves....or a variable displacement firebox (Jeff off to the patent office!). -20C/-4F which my stove handles fine but you can cook yourself out when it's closer to freezing out. Also the stove is more efficient with a full load of wood. I can put a load in and damp it for a good secondary burn and it will keep it warm all day. If I burn a smaller load, I have to keep the damper open further and burn the same amount of wood during a warmer day.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Back