seafoam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use it in my vehicles about every other tank. the tank before an oil change, I pour a couple ounces in the engine oil.
If its snake oil, its good snake oil....

Does anybody have any idea what IS in it?
Someone tried to tell me that it's basically kerosene ???

:spam:

Kerosene? Nope.

Seafoam is a mixture of pale oil and naptha with a small quantity of isopropyl alcohol. You know, you can make your own instead of buying those expensive little cans.

Kerosene? Nope.

Seafoam is a mixture of pale oil and naptha with a small quantity of isopropyl alcohol. You know, you can make your own instead of buying those expensive little cans.

I just bought an expensive BIG can. (Gallon)

Kerosene? Nope.

So whats the mix ratio ??
got a link ?
good proof ?
c'mon man !! save us $8 a can !!!

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on seafoam with you....First off, I've never been a fan of the 'tune up in a can ' BS, but this stuff really seems to work!!!
Never even heard of seafoam till I came here, so I thought I'd try some.
Wow. Everything I use it in seems to work better after a couple tanks of fuel, saws, weedwacker, lawnmower, etc.
My ms230 would never seem to idle for more than 10 seconds without stalling, ever since it was new. I think it would sit there until it ran out of gas since the seafoam.
14 horse briggs in the mower, seems to run a lot smoother, doesn't backfire and scare the **** out of me when I shut it off anymore.
Biggest inmprovement was in the weedwacker, little weedeater brand pos, hasn't run right for a couple of years, but I don't use it much, so I put up with it. Well. Put the 'foam to it, and what a difference. rev's better, easier to start, idles well, it's all good.
I know I could have gone through the carbs and probably made this stuff work right, but this was quick and easy.
Xl-12, some pioneers, c-5, john deere, all the saws seem to be a little bit smoother....

OK, that's my shameless product plug for this year.

Your mileage may vary.:chainsaw:

I try to keep a couple cans on hand..
MANY times i have treated a car here in my yard and told my friends if they dont notice a diff RIGHT away the can is free on me..
every can paid for so far :)
i think i have posted in threads on this before :dizzy:

i LIKE the stuff..
your milage may vary..

I try to keep a couple cans on hand..
MANY times i have treated a car here in my yard and told my friends if they dont notice a diff RIGHT away the can is free on me..
every can paid for so far :)
i think i have posted in threads on this before :dizzy:

i LIKE the stuff..
your milage may vary..

If you ever want to clean your throttle body on your car, get a little container of seafoam and a toothbrush. That black stuff just melts off with the seafoam.

I know more than a few that seem to like the stuff, I have no idea where one would buy it around here, I always forget to look specificaly for it, but do look at most of the different products at parts stores, but never noticed it.
Will have to try and find it to try.

I know more than a few that seem to like the stuff, I have no idea where one would buy it around here, I always forget to look specificaly for it, but do look at most of the different products at parts stores, but never noticed it.

The small cans are in almost every auto store around here. I found a gallon can at O'Reilly's.

I had the same problem......found it at napa, and carquest also sells it, on the east coast, anyway.

:chainsaw:

We talk about this stuff every year or two.

I am not a fan, as the stuff is kind of overpriced, IMO. IPA (Isopropyl Alky) is cheap.

Locally, one can buy it for the equivalent of about $10 a gallon in the little bottles, and we buy it by the barrel at work for about $200/55gallons.

What is "pale oil"? could be almost anything light and clear or nearly clear. Mineral oil at the drug store costs about $4 a quart.

Same for the "Naptha". "Naptha" is really a catch-all term for light petroleum distillates, and can mean almost anything...anything from 5-12 carbons, branched chain, isomers, even some aromatics and polycyclics can be found in "Naptha".

Here's a recipe I saw years ago:
2- 6 oz bottle of Iso
1 quart transhydraul, ATF, power steering fluid, or etc.
1 quart Coleman fuel
1 cup toluol fom the paint store.

add this to 100 gallons of Diesel or 50 gallons of gas twice a year in high-use equipment.

If the top of a cylinder in a saw has some carbon build up, will this stuff clean it out? I've hear of people mixing with fuel as well as spraying it into the cylinder and letting it sit for a while and then running the saw. Thoughts?

Yeah, I'd like to hear another advocate or two on Seafoam, I've got a machine I'd like to try it out on. Let me hear from ya. How do you mix it for your saws, all joking aside? :help:

If the top of a cylinder in a saw has some carbon build up, will this stuff clean it out? I've hear of people mixing with fuel as well as spraying it into the cylinder and letting it sit for a while and then running the saw. Thoughts?

There is aerosol seafoam called deep creep which would be good for spraying in a cylinder. Apparently it will soften carbon, but i've not tried it.

I just put a splash in the gas can when I mix some up. Or a capful right in the saw. I love the stuff.....

:cheers:

Naptha is basically white gas, aka camp fuel.

Camp fuel has very good cleaning properties. Use camp fuel as gas mix at 40:1 with your favorite oil and run a few tanks, and it will decarbon your engine.

Its good stuff. It would take quite a bit of time to list all the times it worked for me. I would say more times then not. Its cleared a lot of serious clogs or minor fuel restrictions in gas engines using it in the gas for me. I forget but I think 2 oz. to the gallon is recommended for problems and I go more sometimes but in chainsaws with minor issues I usually drain the tank and add about 1/8 to 1/4 capful then put about 1/4 tank of my regular fuel mix in and start it and run it at least a minute or 2 revving it up a few times or make some cuts, let it idle a bit the best you can , then let it sit the better part of the day or overnight. A couple adjustments on the carb afterward to fine tune it to your regular mix after using it a while and you should know if it fixed the problem.
Seems to do what its intended to very well, dissolve varnish cleaning the fuel system, and like its been said it dissolves carbon also, but I think on carbon it may take more of a direct application . Its not going to fix the problem if its wore parts or some deposits of sediment are to much for it.
I had a couple motors that sat with water in the fuel system for some time. They seemed to have some corrison plugging them up that took the old fashioned way to clean out. More often its a varnish problem and replacing the old gas with fresh mixed with seafoam saves me time and effort.

Latest posts

Back