seafoam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still waiting for the Seafoam Aftershave for Men, they'd sell like hotcakes :hmm3grin2orange:

Seafoam is ok at best, i ran it in my permagreen spreader for 2 bottles because the thing would not idle for anything even after carb rebuilt,adjustments, etc

a little difference, but not earth shatering

It needs to be run through, and then let it sit for it to work for me. Couple of hours is great.

I pour it into the intake of a mid-rpm running engine slowly for 1/4 can, then flood the intake with it until it dies, let it sit, restart later and it smokes out the neighborhood.

Just running some in the gas has never worked for me.

KRS

Chemtool is nasty, nasty stuff. I wouldn't call it the same, however I've never read the MSDS to learn the ingredients, I wouldn't call them the same.

KRS

So, is it alright to use the aerosol or even the liquid and put some directly into the cylinder with the spark plug out and pump the cylinder a few times and let the stuff sit in there for a while to loosen or dissolve what's built up on the crown of the cylinder, then dump any remaining liquid and fire it up?

Parris: Have you ever used white gas in your saws?

Coleman fuel only has an octane rating around 55 or so. I'd be afraid in modern saws with good rings and compression. It might run hot enough to make you very unhappy!

But, I also know that some of those fellows that love to build model one-lunger engines use it in those small models. They start and run much better: one of those guys also told me once that you can milk a little more life out of a tired old warhorse with white gas: it vaporizes a little more easily and will ignite when there is very little compression, so it can work in the full-size engines when they are very tired.

I have a weak old green weedeater XR-75: I bet I have some white gas in the camper.

Time for an experiment!

Parris: Have you ever used white gas in your saws?

Coleman fuel only has an octane rating around 55 or so. I'd be afraid in modern saws with good rings and compression. It might run hot enough to make you very unhappy!

But, I also know that some of those fellows that love to build model one-lunger engines use it in those small models. They start and run much better: one of those guys also told me once that you can milk a little more life out of a tired old warhorse with white gas: it vaporizes a little more easily and will ignite when there is very little compression, so it can work in the full-size engines when they are very tired.

I have a weak old green weedeater XR-75: I bet I have some white gas in the camper.

Time for an experiment!

Yes I have, but an old Crapsman Poulan SD25, it ran fine, but will need a retune.

So, is it alright to use the aerosol or even the liquid and put some directly into the cylinder with the spark plug out and pump the cylinder a few times and let the stuff sit in there for a while to loosen or dissolve what's built up on the crown of the cylinder, then dump any remaining liquid and fire it up?

I don't think I would do that for the simple reason if it makes the carbon flake off , the carbon could get trapped by the rings or lodged between the piston and jug and cause scoring, I think that if you were going to try it I would mix it with the fuel that way the carbon should be leaving with the exhaust. I would just buy a good synthetic 2 cycle mix and your carbon should slowly disappear, I have started using ultra stihl and I find that my saws are looking a lot cleaner when it comes to carbon fouling, I'm by no means saying that the ultra is the best but I'm sure any synthetic should show improvements.

Last edited:
I'm running Stihl ultra now so I'll check it out after I've run more 93 non-ethanol and ultra through it.

I was wondering when some one would bring that up :laugh:

I've never used the stuff, I just cant bring myself to try something like that in my stuff. Got to much money in some of my saws to make me want to experiment with the mix, but thats just me. Glad it worked out for you.

You could try it in your neighbor's Wild Thing!!

RE: white gas and two-strokess:

I mixed a pint of Coleman fuel, 2 TBSP of oil and ran it in the old XR-75.

This old trimmer is tired, only has about 90 psi. It still runs, but starts hard, warms up slow, throttle response is sluggish, and peak power isn't really there.

I started and ran with regulal gas (40:1, premium unleaded, no E)...same as always.

Drained tank, let her idle out. Cool down, add new fuel, and restart. Started easier, but maybe just because it was ran this morning. Warmed up faster, and throttle response was better. Peak power still pretty wimpy, but improved throttle response made using it more enjoyable. I didn't mess with carb or idle settings, although it idled just a hair faster...leaner, or better combustion?

Noticed that engine ran a little hotter, just by feel: anyone familiar with these old things knows they were uncomfortable to use, as the most comfortable hold/stance puts the powerhead right at your hip.

Conclusion: White gas will probably milk a little more lifespan out of nearly dead equipment, but I wouldn't use it in anything I really treasured. Low octane also probaby goes hand in hand with higher heat of combustion, easier to "light".

I have an old Johnson outboard that has low compression too: I might just give THAT a try as well, but at $8 a gallon I don't know how much I will use!

I don't think you'll get the same benefit as using it in the running saw and then flooding it til the engine stops (hot cylinder sitting there soaking in the stuff). The goo in the cylinder gets soft, then when you restart the goo bakes off easily and breaks up into flakes and goes out the exhaust port.

KRS

Back