Seafome or sta-bil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

homemade

Certified Chainsaw Tester
Reaction score
I've gone around with several people that sta-bil is the only way to keep gas fresh in seasonal equipment. I used to treat the snowblower and lawn mower with sta-bil but this year the snowblower was running only on choke hinting it was gummed up. What do u guys do?

93 octane no ethanol with echo oil. It has some sort of stabilizer in it. The good gas plus that, lasts at least a year, I tried it with a cheap saw, fired right up.

I had to know.....

For just gas, I had better luck with Pri-G than anything else, four years in a bulk tank, the gas was still good and was running it in everything.

Super unleaded and Stihl Synthetic saw oil. Has stabilizer in it, and runs great the following spring after winter. I always run my saws dry after use, and pour the rest of the fuel back into the gas can.

Startron is good stuff too

Sent from my Autotune Carb
+1! I have had poor results from Seafoam as a fuel stabilizer. Stabil works. Lovin Startron! Good fuel stabilizer, good fuel system cleaner, treats the ethanol too. Ethanol free high test is a REALLY good idea for small engines. Modern gasoline provides small engine shops with a lot of job security!

Seafoam has alcohol in it, kinda defeats the purpose.

I use seafoam religiously in the small engine department. However, for storage of a lawnmower or something else where it is too much of a pain to drain, I use StaBil.

Seafoam - prevent carb deterioration
StaBil - fuel stabilizer

I chose not to answer the poll as I'm D) All of the above

Seafoam has alcohol in it, kinda defeats the purpose.

Ummmm..... No it don't... download and read the MSDS.
Besides, there's hundreds of different "alcohols"... but they ain't the same thing.
For example, methanol ain't the same as ethanol. Methanol pulls moisture from the fuel and suspends it... ethanol pulls moisture from the atmosphere and dumps it into the fuel. In short... methanol = good / ethanol = bad.

I only use SeaFoam when fuel has started to turn, or to clean-up a fuel system... it ain't a "stabilizer no matter what the label says, or what you've been told. It's a solvent, slightly increases octane, and adds volatility (which is what gasoline looses as it degrades). SeaFoam does not "stabilize"... it simply dissolves gums and aids in the ignition of degraded fuel (or more correctly... aids in the vaporization).
I use Sta-Bil in high(er) octane, non-ethanol blended gasoline for storage up to maybe a year in larger tanks like my generator... ethanol-blended fuel is already loaded with stabilizers and the addition of more helps nothing... and ethanol-blended fuel can't be trusted past 2-3 months at best, no matter what is added, or what you've be told. I don't leave fuel in smallish tanks... they get drained, or dumped on the ground, when not in use. And I don't use ethanol-blended fuel in anything... period... ever.
Anything mixed with two-cycle oil gets nothing else added... any quality two-cycle oil already contains high-quality fuel stabilizer.

Gasoline goes bad because of oxidation, and the resulting lose of volatility.
A "fuel stabilizer" is an anti-oxidation chemical... nothing more (some may have a volatility enhancer added).
Ethanol is an oxygenate... it's flat silly to think you can add an oxygenate to fuel and not have it degrade. And it's flat sillier to think you can then add an anti-oxidation chemical to stop the effects. That's like throwing water on your fire, and then expecting it will fire back up by blowing on it. :dizzy:

You can believe your favorite chemical has saved your bacon if'n ya' want... but the simple truth is... it ain't so much you've been lucky, it's more you just ain't been unlucky yet. Most of it is just snake oil... and damn good marketing. I always get a kick out'a statements like, "xyz works for me." LOL How do you know it works?? I mean really... how do you know?? Just because the fuel didn't go bad with your favorite chemical added don't mean it would have gone bad with out it... LOL.

Anyway... that's my take on all the snake oils.

This is sort'a like an oil thread... huh??

Last edited:
seafoam for me. Neighbor is a certified mechanic and says stabil is junk and he has seen it cause too many issues.

I always get a kick out'a statements like, "xyz works for me." LOL How do you know it works?? I mean really... how do you know?? Just because the fuel didn't go bad with your favorite chemical added don't mean it would have gone bad with out it... LOL.

Glad you got your kick. Have you used Startron? I get a kick out of folks that down products that have never tried them. LOL I didn't recommend the product. Just stated it worked for me. I do test products and yes some are gimmicks and some do work. I have gas that's over 15 months old and my Dolmar saws run fine with it. Without the additive would be very lucky it didn't go stale in 3 months.
Have you used Startron?

Never heard of startron but I'll have to look for it when I go to the fleet farm. I'm willing to try anything. I've been trying to keep fresh has in the small cans fresh more often. And keeping the non Ethanol gas it the small equip too

Bro-in-law was working a trade show and the Sta-bil booth was next to his. He was told that marine grade stabil is just a concentrated regular stabil, and he could use marine grade stabil in everything.

When I bought my first saw in 2002, I was told that gasoline looses 1 point of octane every month it's stored, whether you use a stabilizer or not. I was told to buy the highest octane fuel that I could if I was going to store it and not use it. 2 of my 3 saws run on 100LL, the other on premium ethanol free gas. I add Stabil anyway just in case it sits. There is no off season for me. Lawn tractor is either cutting grass, rototilling or throwing snow. Saws get used every month of the year. 4 stroke weed whacker is a different story. That gets the fuel shut off and run 'till it almost dies, then the choke gets turned on and then it continues to run until it dies. Then the fuel tank is drained. Same with the 9.8 hp merc outboard. It's sat for 2 years, fresh fuel put in and it fired right up.

Glad you got your kick. Have you used Startron?
I get a kick out of folks that down products that have never tried them.
I have gas that's over 15 months old and my Dolmar saws run fine with it.

No... I haven't used it... I stated what I use, when, where, and why.
Although I did find the MSDS for Startron once, during another of these threads... (shrug)
I've read and re-read my post... where exactly did I run down Startron?
See... here's the difference between you and I... unless the world had stopped, or it was a life 'n' death emergency, I wouldn't use 15 month old gas on a bet. My thinking is... it's simply not worth chancing when fresh(er) gas can be had for a couple bucks, regardless of what's been added to it. You're a "true believer"... OK, I get that. I'm a realist, I'll trust gas for about a year... provided it's ethanol free, stored in a minimum quantity of 5 gallon, in a full and closed container, and I'll use some stabilizer because it may help a little (and certainly won't hurt).

Now here's the thing... the only thing that has gas in it that long is my emergency generator. I test start it once a month or so, and at 10-12 months I drain the gas, refill with fresh high(er) octane, ethanol-free fuel, and splash in a little Sta-Bil for good measure. It is my emergency generator, I ain't trusting the fuel past the 12 month mark... and I don't care how good any "stabilizer" is reported to be. Otherwise, I use 30-50 gallon of gas a month in the power equipment, toys and such... I have a pair of five gallon containers and a pair of six gallon containers, when three of them are empty I fill them. That way I always have a minimum of 5 gallon on hand... and my gas almost never gets more than 6 weeks old. I only mix enough two-cycle that I think will be used in a couple weeks... and I ain't afraid to dump it in one of the vehicles if it gets more than a month old. And if I ain't planning on using something for a few weeks... I dump the fuel out of the small tanks (like chainsaws), larger tanks like the lawn tractors and such get filled after each use (a full tank in way less likely to oxidize... 'cause there's less air in there).

See... here's the biggest difference between you and I... I flat cannot imagine why anyone would keep gas for 15 months, I flat can't imagine where it's worth the gamble. I don't give-a-crap how good some chemical is purported to be... why in hell would you chance it when you likely drive by a fresh gas dispenser daily?? When it gets so old, say a month or two, why not just dump in in your daily driver and get a fresh supply?? I flat don't get the thinking... but, that's just me I guess.

Here's a little hint for buying gas you plan on keeping for a while (like I do in the generator).
Buy the fresh fuel during the winter months. Winter blends are a more volatile blend; because they start out at a higher volatility (read higher quality), they will still be higher in volatility than a summer blend stored over the same time period... or at least common sense and theory says they should be.

For me it's always empty small equipment of gas and run them dry for the winter.
If I forget something then seafoam couple caps in the gas tank and 20 pulls without a plug, set it down put plug back in and return the same time next day with fresh gas.

IMO I wouldn't use seafoam for long durations in small machinery it removes deposits in the entire gas system in short durations but over long durations I bet it would also eat into all the seals.

So for me it's really neither, cheaper to buy fresh gas than use stabil and seafoam really isn't suited to keeping gas stabil LOL

No... I haven't used it... I stated what I use, when, where, and why.
Although I did find the MSDS for Startron once, during another of these threads... (shrug)
I've read and re-read my post... where exactly did I run down Startron?
See... here's the difference between you and I... unless the world had stopped, or it was a life 'n' death emergency, I wouldn't use 15 month old gas on a bet. My thinking is... it's simply not worth chancing when fresh(er) gas can be had for a couple bucks, regardless of what's been added to it. You're a "true believer"... OK, I get that. I'm a realist, I'll trust gas for about a year... provided it's ethanol free, stored in a minimum quantity of 5 gallon, in a full and closed container, and I'll use some stabilizer because it may help a little (and certainly won't hurt).

Now here's the thing... the only thing that has gas in it that long is my emergency generator. I test start it once a month or so, and at 10-12 months I drain the gas, refill with fresh high(er) octane, ethanol-free fuel, and splash in a little Sta-Bil for good measure. It is my emergency generator, I ain't trusting the fuel past the 12 month mark... and I don't care how good any "stabilizer" is reported to be. Otherwise, I use 30-50 gallon of gas a month in the power equipment, toys and such... I have a pair of five gallon containers and a pair of six gallon containers, when three of them are empty I fill them. That way I always have a minimum of 5 gallon on hand... and my gas almost never gets more than 6 weeks old. I only mix enough two-cycle that I think will be used in a couple weeks... and I ain't afraid to dump it in one of the vehicles if it gets more than a month old. And if I ain't planning on using something for a few weeks... I dump the fuel out of the small tanks (like chainsaws), larger tanks like the lawn tractors and such get filled after each use (a full tank in way less likely to oxidize... 'cause there's less air in there).

See... here's the biggest difference between you and I... I flat cannot imagine why anyone would keep gas for 15 months, I flat can't imagine where it's worth the gamble. I don't give-a-crap how good some chemical is purported to be... why in hell would you chance it when you likely drive by a fresh gas dispenser daily?? When it gets so old, say a month or two, why not just dump in in your daily driver and get a fresh supply?? I flat don't get the thinking... but, that's just me I guess.

Why 15 month old gas? I stated in the last post that it was a TEST. Why is that so hard to understand? When I use a new product I prefer to test and verify. When I make a statement about a product you can bet I tested it and know what it did for me. I don't post about snakeoils and such. Either the product works or ir doesn't. The other products talked about in this thread all have their place and they do a fine job. I just wanted a product that could be added for the least cost and be able to depend on that product. I make no mention about how and why it's done and my way is the best way. So again Startron works for ME!! Just like cetane for diesel, long drain oil changes and power steering stop leak all have worked for me each and every time I've used it. Test and verify, it's also called logic and that's the biggest difference between you and I.

Latest posts

Back