Sealing benches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregon_Rob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Thinking about splitting some logs to make some quick benches around the fire pit. As I’m a spur of the moment kind of guy I didn’t cut logs two years ago and let them season so I need some advice given what I have to work with. I did a bit of milling a few years back to make some planks for the horse stalls. Back then I wasn’t worried about to much I just sealed the ends and made boards. With the benches I can of course seal the ends but should I try and apply some kind of sealer to the face cuts this year? I wouldn’t think I would want to use any kind of polyurethane until they have dried for a year or two?

Thinking about splitting some logs to make some quick benches around the fire pit. As I’m a spur of the moment kind of guy I didn’t cut logs two years ago and let them season so I need some advice given what I have to work with. I did a bit of milling a few years back to make some planks for the horse stalls. Back then I wasn’t worried about to much I just sealed the ends and made boards. With the benches I can of course seal the ends but should I try and apply some kind of sealer to the face cuts this year? I wouldn’t think I would want to use any kind of polyurethane until they have dried for a year or two?
Yes sir Rob. Any sealer u use now would only make a mess of your benches. I do many different things but I have been painting professionaly for 25yr. Seal ur ends and wait. I would give them a yr. That will be enough time to cure out. They won't be completely dry but enough that the spar urethane can penetrate spar urethane is helmsman u can get it from Lowe's. U should apply at least 3 coats on a rough surface. I would sand em one time after the first coat, just enough to knock off some sharp places that stand up after the first coat. Then dust em off and apply 2 more coats. This should last about 3 yrs before needing to lightly sand and recoat.

Latest posts

Back