seed help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClimbinArbor

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
does anyone know what depth and time of year the walnut family prefers to be planted at??

thx guys(and gals)

For walnuts they should be planted in the fall because they need some cold from the winter to break dormancy. Planting depth I think is 1-2x it's diameter or use your boot heel to stomp them into the soil. Plant alot because the animals will compete with you for that seed supply. Float the seed to get rid of the bad seeds and then soak them in water 12-24hrs before planting.

Brian

For walnuts they should be planted in the fall because they need some cold from the winter to break dormancy. Planting depth I think is 1-2x it's diameter or use your boot heel to stomp them into the soil. Plant alot because the animals will compete with you for that seed supply. Float the seed to get rid of the bad seeds and then soak them in water 12-24hrs before planting.

Brian

We don't have cold winters here at least 5 degrees above freezing min. Walnuts grow well so no dormancy. Maybe dormancy induced by cold while still on tree. When I was doing a post grad we worked on dormancy on Cedrus we also found they didn't have one they germinated at freezing and above and below freezing damaged the seed but they grew when planted at higher temps.

Latest posts

Back