seeking input on my Husqvarna 345

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echo271

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is there anything I can do to make this saw cut better or make some mods to boost the power any advice will greatly be appreciated

You can do a muffler mod. They help just about any saw wake up. Make sure your compression is 140-150psi. If it's lower you could change the ring to bump compression back to normal.

You can do a muffler mod. They help just about any saw wake up. Make sure your compression is 140-150psi. If it's lower you could change the ring to bump compression back to normal.

Do you have any suggestions on type or where to buy I've never made mods to a chain sawand the compression on the saw should be good its only 3 months old just seems to lack power cutting sand pines

If you bought it at a box store, chances are it is running not quite right. It will be adjusted/tuned to "pass emissions" but not for really cutting wood. Take it to a dealer and have them adjust it.

You can use the search on muffler modding and then tuning yourself at home. Hundreds of threads on that, even a google search will have half the threads be from this site.

It is also most probable you are using homerenter safety chain, which won't cut quite as well as professional chain. Many site sponsors here sell pro chain, your choice there, or tell the husky shop you want a couple loops of "pro" chain. And learn to sharpen well, very important, especially using a smaller saw. the same husky dealer will have a hand held sharpening device that does the cutters and the depth gauges at the same time.

I mean it is very important using any size saw, but you'll really notice a dull versus sharp chain with smaller saws very quickly.

After that....you'll probably want to step up to a professional XP model saw, if you hang around here much. Then you'll have a lot more power in a similar sized and weight package. The classifieds here have them come and go on a regular basis.

I bought the saw from my husky dealer its sharp I barely use the saw but when I do use it I want it to run and cut as well as my echos

you need to open up the muffler aka muffler mod and pull those dang limiters,, it will wake it up more then you think

I bought the saw from my husky dealer its sharp I barely use the saw but when I do use it I want it to run and cut as well as my echos

You don't need to use it much to dull the chain hitting the dirt one time can dull the chain. If you want that Husky to cut like an Echo you gotta put the chain on backwards:hmm3grin2orange:

Well, muffler modding will void the warranty, but if you don't care, ton of threads here on that subject. The general principle is open up the exhaust flow so it is approximately 80% of the volume of the exhaust port in the cylinder. You need to remove the muffler, then..whatever it takes to do that. Mufflers are all different, I am not familiar with the layout of that particular model.

copy and paste these lines into google search box-one at a time of course good luck man! You'll need to retune after your mod, which will no doubt result in your trimming the limiter tabs on the carb, and getting the splined carb adjusting screwdriver tool to do this.

muffler mod husky 435 site:arboristsite.com

carb tool husky 435 site:arboristsite.com

limiter tabs site:arboristsite.com

Probably not all that cost effective to have anyone port that saw (a few hundred bucks...), but you can read up on that and see if it is something you might want to get into yourself, at least the simpler first steps of widening intake and exhaust ports.

I have a similar saw from a few years back, their entry level at the time 137 model. It cuts pretty good, excellent actually for a small saw, but I make sure it has a real sharp chain and I never lean on it, just let the chain cut and keep the rpms up. It won't cut worth beans with a dull chain and pushing it. It has to be finessed to find the sweet spot with the wood, then it works pretty well. There's not a ton of power there to rely on, so you have to use a little more technique to make it cut to its potential.

Modern saws for the most part ship choked up bad to "pass emissions". It's up to you how far to go to unchoke them.

The Limiter Tabs are on the fuel adjusting needles?

I've had a 345 for several years and am quite pleased with it. Kind of hard to believe there'd be a huge difference from one 45cc saw to another.

How long is the bar? Are you running an NK chain on it?

The Limiter Tabs are on the fuel adjusting needles?
Yes, around the L & H screws to prevent unlimited adjustment. The T idle screw (Husky) is not limited, it just controls idle speed, not the fuel/air ratio.

Of note, on a Husky you need a special splined socket driver to adjust L & H, cheap (~$7) on eBay.

Yes, around the L & H screws to prevent unlimited adjustment. The T idle screw (Husky) is not limited, it just controls idle speed, not the fuel/air ratio.

Of note, on a Husky you need a special splined socket driver to adjust L & H, cheap (~$7) on eBay.

Most of the ones ive seen do have the splines but they also have a slot in them for a screw driver.

I too find my 345 to be a very good small saw. Sharp chain and lowered rakers make quite a bit of difference. Not going to see the performance you get from a 60 or 90cc saw, but in its place the 345 should do you very well.

Hal

I've had a 345 for several years and am quite pleased with it. Kind of hard to believe there'd be a huge difference from one 45cc saw to another.

How long is the bar? Are you running an NK chain on it?

16 inch bar and I think its refered to as a chisel chain but not to sure still a little new to all of this and am only familiar with echos

Is anyone interested in taking on the job of doing mods to this type of saw if so do you think it would be beneficial or a waste of money

Modding that saw will cost you around 250$ plus shipping. Depending on your mechanical skilz you could do a simplified port job on it yourself. Russ

I've got a 345 I bought some time ago at farm supply store, the employees of which didn't know which end of a chainsaw cuts, and which end you hold. I had to adjust the high speed idle with a splined tool I bought from ebay. But it runs great now.

Modding that saw will cost you around 250$ plus shipping. Depending on your mechanical skilz you could do a simplified port job on it yourself. Russ

I'm mechanically inclined but wasn't sure if it was like porting and polishing heads on a car or something completely different

Last edited:
Back