Seeking Opinions For Best Small Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle Jim

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone got some shopping ideas for me?

I've got a couple older Stihls over 55 cc x 18"+ that are great for bigger work but too heavy for lighter work.

I'm in the market for a smaller lighter saw for hardwood firewood up to about 10", limbing, clearing fence rows, brush, saplings, etc. For anything bigger we reach for the other saws.

My preferences are for a high-quality product for the long run with cost secondary.

Most small saws I've seen are geared to homeowners & occasional use and have not impressed me, yet pro lines don't seem to extend to the smaller sizes.

Even the Stihls in their entry-level class look cheap to me next to my old 032.

I'm retired, landowner, woodburner - cut around 4 cords per year.

Qualities I look for are reliability, comfort, very low vibration, light weight, good power to weight ratio, good starting, serviceability, long term durability. I don't require fancy starting features, auto adjust, etc. And don't mind paying a bit more for something sweet even though it won't see lots of use. Will consider any brand.

I'm not sure such a product actually exists :msp_biggrin:

Suggestions? Thanks so much -Jim

A Homelite Super EZ Auto, it has all the features of a pro saw minus chain brake in a high output 40cc engine, even has a decompression valve. Might have to invest in some anti vibe gloves. You can pick up a good runner for around $50.

Shoot man, a 361 probably weighs less than your 032 and it's 60cc saw. A new 50cc saw like a 346xp or a ms261 would feel like a feather next to an 032 and cut circles around it too.

They might not be built quite as tough on the outside, but they are just as durable and built to last just like the old Stihls.

A 361 60cc weighs about 13lb empty

A 346 and 261 may weigh around 11 lbs.

I think an 032 weighs around 15-16 lbs.

The three I've listed all have awesome antivibe. They all have really good filtration also, especially the 346 and even better the 261, so you won't have to clean the filter every hour of the day.

A stihl 024 may also be an option but I don't know much about these saws and I had heard that the new ms240 will be out soon but not sure if it will make it here to US.

I think the best small saw is the MS200 (rear handle). Very light and nimble. Pull the screen and retune it'll handle up to 10" just fine.

How about more info? Are you worried about price? New or used? How about a rebuild that you can really take some pride in? Brand loyal? Typical answers are 5105, 346, 261. Theres about 50 other options though.

I had a 024 wood boss sold it and bought a Dolmar 420. Way better than a 024.

The 420 starts super easy, handles great and cuts nice with .325 chain. Can be purchased new for under $300.

Oh yeah it is a pro grade magnesium construction.

Gg

I think the best small saw is the MS200 (rear handle). Very light and nimble. Pull the screen and retune it'll handle up to 10" just fine.

Oh, yes the MS200 would certainly fit the bill for a small saw in the 35cc category. These things are supposed to be fast and reliable, and are a true professional build saw. The OP said that cost wasn't a huge factor. They are expensive.

I am not recommending a 50 cc saw, as he already has a saw in that size.

I would however, suggest that he look at a MS211, as they have good reviews and seem to be reliable. They are not built strictly like a pro saw, but they are getting a reputation for durability and are much less costly than the MS200.

Bob

Last edited:
I'm in the market for a smaller lighter saw for hardwood firewood up to about 10", limbing, clearing fence rows, brush, saplings, etc. For anything bigger we reach for the other saws.

My preferences are for a high-quality product for the long run with cost secondary.

Qualities I look for are reliability, comfort, very low vibration, light weight, good power to weight ratio, good starting, serviceability, long term durability. I don't require fancy starting features, auto adjust, etc. And don't mind paying a bit more for something sweet even though it won't see lots of use. Will consider any brand.

Look no further than the Husqvarna 346XP

+1

You sir need a 346XP, drive to your nearest Husqvarna dealer and check one out.

I thot we all agreed that the best small saw was a ported 7900 or 390xp?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aOrrJhLmZ7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

More Info

How about more info? Are you worried about price? New or used? How about a rebuild that you can really take some pride in? Brand loyal? Typical answers are 5105, 346, 261. Theres about 50 other options though.

Not worried much about price. Prefer a new saw over used / rebuild.

I take good care of my equipment and keep it as long as possible. One of my old Stihls has run me about $12 per year amortized cost. At some point though, and perhaps I'm there, it may pay to update.

I'm not particularly brand loyal but have had several Stihls, a Homelite, and a Poulan; the latter two were certainly second-rate.

Comparing their current (Stihl) product line -- and I haven't seen everything -- I must say, with all due respect, my impression was 'they don't make 'em like they used to' ... that might be a good thing or not so good depending.

I see several suggestions for the Husky 346 and the Stihl 261, both of which I'd scoped out on my own. Actually I'd been thinking smaller rather than a 'one size fits all' approach - I gather the newer saws are so much lighter weight they 'seem' smaller given the same CC's.

What's a "5105"?

One other thing I should be considering is availability of local service - that favors Stihl & Husky.

Thanks to all - this is very helpful! -Jim

Been There - Done That

A Homelite Super EZ Auto, it has all the features of a pro saw minus chain brake in a high output 40cc engine, even has a decompression valve. Might have to invest in some anti vibe gloves. You can pick up a good runner for around $50.

Hey Homelite Jim,

I had a Super EZ Automatic a long time ago. It worked hard but had way too much vibration to suit me. That was the main reason I got rid of it. But it was light weight and easy to fling around all day!

I'm much older now - it's like the saws aged less than I did. Now I want comfort :hmm3grin2orange: I have to wonder if comfort and weight go hand in hand OR if there really is light weight without vibration available these days?

Thanks! -Jim

Jim, 5105 = Dolmar.

What CC range are you looking for? All the saws being mentioned are bigger than what I'd call small!

Yes, that's what I've been thinking! But if they're 50 cc and a LOT lighter weight that could work for me. Might even replace the S 032 with it.

Guess I originally had 35 to 40 CC's in mind. These newer saws have a lot more HP for their size than I'm used to. -Jim

A few different options for the hell of it;

1. Take the lightest/most comfortable saw you have now, grab yourself a lightweight but hard-wearing bar (sugihara, tsumura or the like) and see what that feels like. You might find that's a good combo for limbing.
2. A cut-off saw for the smaller firewood, rather than a smaller chainsaw. Fast, cheap, very effective, easier on the body.

Jungle Jim,,,,,I am saying this one more time. If you are not concerned with price and you want the best 35 cc type saw,,,,,it will be the MS200. Nothing else will compare,,,,,,and nothing else will be as expensive. I wish I had one.

Bob

Back