Seen this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimM

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was cutting some ash for firewood yesterday and my J-red 2071 quit in the middle of a cut. Would'nt restart. Put it back in the truck and grabbed another saw. Pulled the plug this evening and found this. A new plug and she fired right up. Itr appears to be a dot of metal. Any ideas what caused something like this to take place?View attachment 221338

I have never seen it on a saw, but I have seen it on a two stroke motorcycle many times. Usually referred to as "whiskered".

I am not sure what causes it, but on the motorycle that had chronic problems, it would only happen when the bike was run very hard for a long period of time. My buddy was running from the cops back in 1982 or so and after a long chase, he whiskered the plug on a steep hill and the cop rammed him from behind. He was 15 at the time.

had that happen on my poulan,i chalked it up to be a sliver of metal from a muffler mod. apparently i didnt blow it all out before putting it back on.

I have seen that on aircraft sparkplugs quite often and it is lead. Are you using avgas? Carbon is not very conductive and would not form that shape (in my opinion)

Actually, carbon is an excellent conductor. I have seen carbon whiskers like that, and I have seen bits of molten piston do that too, but only on automotive engines when they were tuned way lean and with 30 degrees of timing.

Nick

I have seen that on aircraft sparkplugs quite often and it is lead. Are you using avgas? Carbon is not very conductive and would not form that shape (in my opinion)

No avgas, just premium pump gas and Husky oil. Not a big deal, I just have never had something like that happen before.

I have never seen it on a saw, but I have seen it on a two stroke motorcycle many times. Usually referred to as "whiskered".

I am not sure what causes it, but on the motorycle that had chronic problems, it would only happen when the bike was run very hard for a long period of time. My buddy was running from the cops back in 1982 or so and after a long chase, he whiskered the plug on a steep hill and the cop rammed him from behind. He was 15 at the time.

I hate when that happens! :bang:

Rest of the story? Just got to know:)

So was it metal or carbon? Can you make a childs rattle out of your muffler is you shake it around?

I am not a scientist or physicis (see cant even spell that) so I won't get into the conductiveness of carbon vs metal et al.

Just trying to help you prevent a bad bearing or something damagain your saw.

Jim:

Had the exact same thing happenon my 038 the other weekend...started on full choke and triggered off choke two blips then dead. Tried a few times and nothing....pulled the plug cleared the plug with a oak leaf and cut a full tank. had a 036pro do the same thing years ago after about 4 tanks fuel. I think just loose carbon that gets jammed across the electrode.

sap can

Carbon exists in several different forms, amorphous, diamond, graphite and bucky-balls or Fullerenes. Graphite conducts electricity because, like metals, there are "free electrons" in the material - these will conduct electricity. Electrons are not free in diamond and that form of carbon is not a conductor.

Back