self tending climbing system

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich_h

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Last August I had an idea on how to fix some of the problems associated with using VT and other advanced climbing knots. After lots of redesigns and tons of testing, I think we came up with a system that works pretty well.

Please let me know if you have any input on this system, it is by no means in its final design.

Sorry for the mass of slides, I tried to post this as a power point and needless to say it didn't work. If possible just download all the pics and then turn them all into a slide show, or I can email you the power point if you prefer.

If you want the splicing instructions with sizing or want me to send you one of the spliced prototypes, drop me an email at:

[email protected]

Without downloading almost 2MB of zipped pictures, exactly what types of problems are you talking about? I've got my VT dialed in quite nicely and cannot readily name any problems with it.

The problems (and I agree there aren't very many) deal mainly with ascending the line. As you know, hip thrusting on a VT is a test in futility. Foot locking on the single line is no good as well, just try the file I promise if nothing else, you will get a good laugh.

Thanks for the input Dan.

In actuality it is possible to switch modes while you weight is on the system. Although, I would defitely say its easier to go from the short mode to the extended under load. Going the other way is tough to unhook the dog leash. The reason for that is that everytime you reach up to get the leash unhooked the fool thing moves higher. Maybe the system is too efficient lol.

I would recommend being safetied in to the tree while shifting modes. While we have tested it without the safety and never once had a problem (at worst you fall the 4 inches until the short bridge fully extends), it would still be safer to be attached by other means during the switch.

The basic idea is moving the anchors of the VT in close for working (usual) then higher similar to the lockjack twin.

Its combining the benifits of the lockjack sport and twin using friction hitches and tethers/legs.

yep lumberjack, you are right. But for the cost of buying the lockjack twin you could splice up enough of these to outfit the whole county.

I have made these in a form that stays fully extended all the time, We actually make both bridge pieces quite a bit longer. With a lightweight pulley on top of your hitch and some accessory cord you can rig up something that operates very close to the lockjack. This set up is a bit messy though, so I wouldn't recommend it to someone just starting out.

That looks like a cool set-up. Great presentation as well. Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

Here are the splicing instructions for both of the Anchor Bridge pieces. Sorry they are kind of in short hand. You want to use the standard eye splice techniques for making these. ( I didn't use the Brummell as this piece will hold body weight and therefore we went with the stronger splice)

The brass ring needs to be drop forged, a welded ring may damage the rope fibers as it rotates. I went with twin carrier 12 strand hollow braid ( Tenex, Yalex, Wallex, your choice)for the construction even though it may pick more than the single carrier. This was done yet again to add strength to the system.

If you have any questions on this just let me know.

[email protected]

OH YEAH, THIS IS ALL USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. (sorry had to do that)

That's nice rich, and not to rain on your parade, but your method has been done and in use for quite some time. Mark Adams published a story a few years back. An option is to use a prussic instead of your fixed length extender to fine tune the distance to the climbing knot.

Didn't Robert Phillips also have a system similar to this??? He also had an article on his system. I remember M. Adams article, I am pretty sure it was in the I.S.A.' s Arborist News cuz I saved it to try it out some day, of course that hasn't happened.

Larry

Thanks for the input guys. I am aware that they have been similar systems to this in the past. My guess is that there are quite a few in use that no one has ever mentioned. I am familiar with Robert Phillips method but I'm not sure I have seen Mahk Adams system. If you guys have the links to the articles it would be great to see the advantages/ disadvantages of each one.

The idea of keeping the anchor side extended full time does several other things other than just tend the knot in the achor bridge system. It protects the length of rope that takes the most abuse during climbing. (easier to replace bridge than continously shortening your rope if you happen to nick it). It provides for a "soft connection" to the harness instead of having metal on metal. (if you use rings or other to anchor to). It also seperates the two carabiners that you use to anchor in with.

Thanks again for the input.

Rich

Mark Adams calls his system " The Sliding Bridge " the article appeared in the I.S.A. 's Arborist News that a has a monthly feature article called Climber's Corner. The date of the article is the OCT 2001 issue.

I could scan the article, not sure how that would work out download wise with my computer skills. I could clip the pictures, then post them but then the article wouldn't be much good for future reference in my little private library.

Rich, you started a sister thread over at the unspeakable site, Mark Adams posts their quite frequently, ask him about his sliding bridge system might be best to get it straight from the author himself, he is very nice guy and a good writer too. I like his work.

Larry

Larry,

Thanks for the info. I will check that out as soon as possible. My hope is that regardless of the name of the system, future climbers will have an easier go at it than we did. Having started on a taut line with Arborplex as a rope, I would gladly have switched with any system that would save my elbows and shoulders.

Rich

I too have seen similar systems. What I do, the few times a year I want to move my hitch up, is to safety in, tie a loop in the standing side of my climbing line, and move the hitch from the saddle up to the loop.
Your system makes the move faster and the length more regulated. If I needed it more often, I'd explore your idea.

vt

rich_h said:
The problems (and I agree there aren't very many) deal mainly with ascending the line. As you know, hip thrusting on a VT is a test in futility. Foot locking on the single line is no good as well, just try the file I promise if nothing else, you will get a good laugh.
for body thrusting reach above wit both hands and go hand over hand for a few pulls or a branch to stand on then tend the slack with your free hand

Jmack,

Thanks for your input on this system. The slack in the line is exactly what I am trying to avoid with the anchor bridge. If you were to fall while tending your slack you could suffer injuries that could have been avoided. Our field is dangerous enough without taking unecessary risks.

Rich

I got our scanner hooked back up. First attempt at trying to download failed. Took the advise of a freind on a way to get around this, let's see how this works.

These are the pictures from the article Mark Adams wrote about " The Sliding Bridge ". I hope I am not taking any liberties here by doing this.

Looks like it worked, let's see how it comes out. I didn't do any resizing so downloaders beware.

Larry

Latest posts

Back