Selling a saw to a beginner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sell it and don't look back. How/what he does is none of your business. The only time I would consider not selling something like this is if the person is under 18 years old. would be required IMO.

I bought my first saw when I was 15 from a store. Parental consent wasn't needed.

I had sold a demo saw to a guy not that long ago. No blade on it he brought his own diamond blade. He puts the blade on and asks me to start it as he's not very familiar. He owns a hard scape business and doesn't do the work. Just needed a saw in a pinch. I then handed it off to
Him and watched him hold it WOT for a good minute swinging it around like a lasso letting the blade
Come within thousandths of an inch of his limbs and the ground. Needless to say I hid on the other side of
My truck and shed a tear for that newly scored piston thanks to him. He bought it but it goes to show you some people aren't as concerned with things I'd be concerned with. He was a good 20 years older then me and did take some of my advice on operation stating he doesn't ever really run the saws. Followed by telling me he goes through atleast 3 demo saws a year one a 3
Man crew. This was in a gas station parking lot too.

Regards-Carlo

I bought my first saw when I was 15 from a store. Parental consent wasn't needed.
Parental concent is my option in certain situations, I'm not saying it I our should be law. I believe if it was a private sale and you were tryin to buy a 90cc saw the seller likely would need to talk to your parents. My point was more along the lines of common sense. I would hesitate selling a big saw to a young man just as I would hesitate selling a high performance dirtbike or snowmobile to someone who might not be mature enough.

I sold a saw on ebay once that I had been using so I knew it ran okay. The guy emails me wanting his money back because the saw wouldn't start, he claimed he knew all about saws and this one didn't have any compression. He kept the saw for a couple of weeks and sent it back all cleaned up. I fueled it up and it started on the third pull. I'm guessing he cut all the wood he needed and then sent the saw back.

Been using chainsaws for 37 years now. Been cutting 20+ ricks of firewood annually for the past 16 years. I always drop start my small saws with the brake off. If starting a large saw, I will usually find a nice clean soft open space on the ground where I can pin the saw to the ground with my knee so the bar won't hit the dirt. I only do this with big saws because I'm a weak old fart and need both hands to pull the rope! :eek: :D

I sold a saw on ebay once that I had been using so I knew it ran okay. The guy emails me wanting his money back because the saw wouldn't start, he claimed he knew all about saws and this one didn't have any compression. He kept the saw for a couple of weeks and sent it back all cleaned up. I fueled it up and it started on the third pull. I'm guessing he cut all the wood he needed and then sent the saw back.
what a genius

Latest posts

Back