Selling Mature Blue Spruces?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A neighbor was telling me a story of a guy he knows who sold a mature blue spruce for $20,000. Is this right?

I thought maybe he might be confused and it was actually that's how much it cost to dig up and transplant a mature blue spruce.

The reason I ask is because I just bought a new house and it has two 15-20 yr old blue spruces that were planted on either side of the driveway. The problem is they were planted too close to the driveway, and now the trees have grown over the driveway. The previous owner had to cut a car-sized hole out of the branches to drive her car through. It's quite a sight.

I had just figured that I would cut them down, but if I can sell them that'd be even better!

If the trees have been pruned like you say they have, and are next to a driveway, the trees are not worth anything to a tree buyer. The Spruces that bring top dollar are the low branched specimens, very good blue color and disease free which rules out your average spruce growing in an urban setting.

Someone is adding some zeros to the story, not likely they got paid $20,000.
This is like the stories that float around about people getting paid huge sums of money for verneer grade Walnut trees in their backyards. It may have indeed happened but it would be rare, you would have a better chance playing the lottery and winning than trying to sell yard trees for big money.

Larry

Ax-man said:
This is like the stories that float around about people getting paid huge sums of money for verneer grade Walnut trees in their backyards. It may have indeed happened but it would be rare, you would have a better chance playing the lottery and winning than trying to sell yard trees for big money.

Larry

Too true. :dizzy:

Back