Semi-Chisle convert, but 346 bar adapter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stlshrk

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I really like the 91vxl Oregon for the Echo cs400 with a 18 inch bar. So, I swapped the ms361 over to Oregon 72DP from the 72LPX. Again, very impressed with the semi-chisle on the 20 inch bar.

Then last week I purchased the 346xp sporting a 20 inch .325 .050 bar. Now I have a choice to make. But, both possibilities also present me with questions.

Option #1 - keep the 20 inch .325 .050 bar and get the semi-chisle chains for it. My question for this option is, am I looking at the correct chain for this bar? I think I should be shopping for 20BPX for this one. Is that right?

Option #2 - I also have a 16 inch 3/8 .050 bar that fits the Stihl ms361. This may not even be possible but I have seen where some guys buy the adapter plate from baileys to run the Stihl bar on a Husqvarna. I would also have to purchase the correct sproket for the change in pitch, no biggie there. If this adapter would work then I could run DP chain on that saw as well. I think it would pull the 3/8 okay if on the shorter guide bar. This option also presents me with questions though as I am not sure that the adapter will work on this small of a saw. It would be nice to have bar and chain interchangeability between the 346 and 361, but I am not normally that lucky. The Bailey's website does not list the 346xp on the part description. If not that adapter, then is there another that would do it?

Thoughts or other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks guys!

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, the reason I would like to run the same chain on those two is that I was thinking of buying a roll of chain. :hmm3grin2orange:

I am not a fan of semi chisel chain but I really like Carton chain on our .325 saws. We use K1L but you would ask for K1C. Going with 325 narrow kerf will gain you a bit of speed but you need a bar too. Carltons number is K1NK Oregon is 95VP both are semi chisel. Carton is available at Baileys as Woodland Pro.

I really like the 20BPX - 0.325" x 0.050". The cutters have decent height so it takes a good bite. I do not find the ramped drive link to be a problem.

It looks like the 346 20" uses 78DL, which is the same chain that fits my Poulan 2775. 20BPX 78DL chains are very commonly available in many stores locally in Oregon "H78" blister packs, so it may make sense to pick one up and try it first.

I'm a huge fan of semi-chisel, been using it regularly for over 20 years. Tried chisel again last Fall and I'd just as soon throw it away. Like semi a LOT better...

BPX is good stuff. Stihl RMC is also good stuff.

Your stihl bar wont fit the 346, just use the 20", or get a 3/8 16 that'll fit.

346xp is also a great saw!!!

You might be able to run the bar from the Echo on the 346. It may work as is or you may have to drill oil holes. I know I have had success going the other way from a husky to poulan/echo mount. I believe that Oregon recommends the use of the lo pro chain on up to 60ish/cc saws. Then you could buy an inexpensive 14-16" bar for the smaller echo. I just bought one from Bailey's for under $10.

IMHO a 14" bar on a 40cc saw, 16-18" on a 50cc saw, and 20" on a 60cc saw works out really well.

I agree on the semi chisel chain. Most of where I cut is fairly sandy and full chisel does cut faster, but not for very long. I find the semi chisel easier to sharpen in the field too

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm still mulling it over. Ah, decisions, decisions. I think I'll go start a fire! :blob2: Isn't that always the right answer?

I picked up a bar adapter on eBay and now I use the Stihl 32" bar on my 394XP Husky. I used a flat file to extend the bar slot. It was a bit too tight to get the chain on the bar without extending the slot. Works great and the adapter is a perfect fit to both the bar and the saw. I ran a thread on it not long ago. Now I have a Stihlvarna.

BarAdapter_zps8737cc0c.jpg

Stihlvarna_zpsed2ab0af.jpg

I picked up a bar adapter on eBay and now I use the Stihl 32" bar on my 394XP Husky. I used a flat file to extend the bar slot. It was a bit too tight to get the chain on the bar without extending the slot. Works great and the adapter is a perfect fit to both the bar and the saw. I ran a thread on it not long ago. Now I have a Stihlvarna.

BarAdapter_zps8737cc0c.jpg

Stihlvarna_zpsed2ab0af.jpg

I'm fairly sure that your 394xp has different sized or spaced studs than what the 346xp has. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't found an adapter for the 346xp. Please, correct me if I'm wrong and send me a link. Thanks. :alien2: Congrats on your conversion though. It seems like filing out the bar worked well for you.

Yep, 346 has the small Husky mount, 394 has the large mount.

As far as I know, a Stihl bar is not goin on the 346xp.

Latest posts

Back