semi sealed main bearings with a reverse grease packing, not the funny kind, humh

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vw_motorsports

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I had to rebuild a husky 350 recently and I decided to use partially sealed FAG bearings for the crankshaft. The bearings have a positive fit contact seal on one side, the other side is open. My reasoning is to reduce/lessen the chance for a crankshaft air leak, but still provide lubrication for the crankshaft seal. The only real way to get an air leak now is air leaking past the interference fit of the crankshaft and the bearing first, then it has to get past the grease and finally the crank seal. I thought about using double sealed c2 bearings but they are too expensive

First, I had to seperate the oem seal from the bearing, then I packed the seal with Kluber grease, used in vw superchargers. Pressed the bearing back into the seal. The void between the crankshaft seal and bearing is full of premium high temp, high tack grease, while the bearings are lubricated by the fuel mix.

I would say the friction of the setup is between an open bearing and a fully sealed cartridge bearing. I've started the saw and I cannot notice any difference. I've run 2 tanks and I removed the flywheel and clutch and I haven't noticed any traces of grease coming out from under the seals. So the crankcase pulses aren't enough to push the grease past the seal...so far anyway or the interference fit between the bearings and crank is quite good.

It appears this could be a nice setup with the 1-piece seal/bearing combo like on the 350. I don't know if this setup will work with separate bearing/seal combos but I have a rancher 55 that needs bearings and I figure I'll give it a try. I'll post a follow up once that gets done.

Back