semi skip or full skip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya'll think skip chain makes the saw lighter? So do you ever completely fill the tanks or just go 1/4 at a time to save weight?

Why didnt I think of that!:ices_rofl:

Ya'll think skip chain makes the saw lighter? So do you ever completely fill the tanks or just go 1/4 at a time to save weight?

Why didnt I think of that!:ices_rofl:

Nah, Ethanol weighs less than gasoline by volume, and Hydro weighs less than bar oil.
Just run the 10% pump gas and cut the Bar oil with cheapo hydro and save .00073oz for better handling.

It's cheaper than Titanium Dawgs.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

So you have caught on to the modified CnH2n+2,(I like C3H8) gas craze that is exponentially lighter per tank which lasts for days?

I guess I wont have to be your mentor after all...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, Ethanol weighs less than gasoline by volume, and Hydro weighs less than bar oil.
Just run the 10% pump gas and cut the Bar oil with cheapo hydro and save .00073oz for better handling.

It's cheaper than Titanium Dawgs.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I use ceramic dawgs that are extra light & extra tough cause I have to pull so hard on my saw. Thats because of my extra light weight chain, I filed off 80 percent of the bits and am saving almost 3 1/2 ozs!!! It really helps me in the steep ground!

I use ceramic dawgs that are extra light & extra tough cause I have to pull so hard on my saw. Thats because of my extra light weight chain, I filed off 80 percent of the bits and am saving almost 3 1/2 ozs!!! It really helps me in the steep ground!

Ceramic Dawgs are cool! Just the ticket for cutting in a Petrified forrest. LOL!!

Nikko is gonna wonder if we have lost our friggin minds.:laugh:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I think I lost a good portion of mine posting on another thread earlier so. . .

To be of some help. Ide go with full skip. see if you like it. It really eases the sharpening woes involved with longer bars. Dont know much about semi skip, but I was never impressed by it. . I really dont even know how it was supposed to impress. Maybe if you like running full comp but need some hp and clearance the semi would be for you.

Both are hanging in the basement

Full skip can be made to cut as fast as just about anything else on the market. The key is learning how to sharpen it especially the raker depth. Instead of each tooth taking a small chip, allow the chain to pull fewer but bigger chips. This approach requires two things, one your saw has the grunt to pull a big chip with a long bar, and second you have enough experience running a saw with lowered rakers.

The other consideration is semi-skip is a lot smoother than full skip in the cut, and not quite as "grabby". Full skip has a tendency to chatter in the cut so you want a saw with good AV or you'll really feel it after a day of cutting.

I've used Stihl, Oregon and Woodland Pro. Like their full comp chains, the Stihl seems to hold a better edge but no complaints with any of them. Warch the gauge on the bar. At least in this area finding either skip or semi skip in .058 gauge can be tough, .050 seems more prevalent.

Take Care

I personally like semi skip. It has a few less cutters than full comp to sharpen and cuts close with full comp in speed and is less grabby than full skip.

saying no to a double cheeseburger is the weight saving device I'm most concerned with.

I wonder if the chain you choose has anything to do with the powerhead or the wood you are cutting. I know it doesn't have anything to do with personal preference, as that's not allowed here at little old ladies sewing corner.. er.. um.. where am I again?

Half skip is a good compromise, skip tooth works best for those bar length cuts.

Semi skip has my vote, unless you have a little powerhead on that 28"
You need to know the pitch .325 or 3/8(most likely) and the guage .50, .58, .63 this needs to match the groove in your bar rail. Your bar should have that information on it.

Full house is the only way. If you find yourself filing a lot stop rototilling or cutting sand or nails! use a peavey and cut both sides. As for filing when you get used to it shouldn't take much more than a couple minutes to file up a 24" bar. If you find you don't have enough power to drag the chain then the bar is too long for the power head or the rakers are too short. And lastly it takes practice to file well and cut properly. I can can make a rancher cut sweet just as easily as make an 090 cut crappy just by the sharpen alone! I watch groundies nic dirt all day and wonder how come they have to push down on the saw. A dull saw no matter what kind of chain is on it can cut performance in half and that translates into time and money and wear and tear! Full house hands down!!!

This was just kind of hypothetical, but lets say on a mac 10-10 (because that's the biggest saw i have right now)

Latest posts

Back