Seriously thinking of the T200

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stump doctor

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Seriously thinking of the Stihl 200T

I have been lurking here the last month or so and first off I have to tell you all what a great site this is. Spent the last few weeks searching the archives and reading up on all the great saws out there. This place has been a great learning experience.

I am not new to chain saws and bought my first saw 20 years ago when we moved to Oregon and bought a three acre wooded lot. I needed to buy a chain saw to buck up some firewood from several oak trees pushed over by a CAT when we had our house built. Back then the Internet was not yet born so I had to make my decision based on a local dealers recommendation. Naturally I based my brand on what 95% of the loggers used and went home with a brand spanking new Stihl 028 Wood Boss AV in a nice orange case. This saw has never let me down and to this day starts and runs great!

About seven years ago I bought an 044 as I wanted a larger more powerful saw with a 24" bar. After another trip to the local dealer I came home with another excellent saw which actually is my favorite saw. Now that I am getting a bit older I would like to go in the other direction. I stopped by and looked at the 192T and 200T as I would really like a saw I can hold from a ladder or in a tree. I was amazed at how light and balanced they were. I would also like to use it on the ground for vey light limbing and brush clearing. I will probably let my 028AV go up for sale as I really don't need or want to maintain three saws. The 044 could serve double duty with an 18" or 20" bar as well as the 24" bar for times a larger saw is needed. I feel badly for letting the 028AV go :cry: it is really such a nice bullet proof saw. I just hope who ever gets it will appreciate it and give it a good of home as I have.

So please help me out, am I making the right decision here or am I missing something that I have not thought about? Thanks in advance for any insightful tips you may offer. :)

Last edited:
I agree - don't use a 200T as general purpose ground saw - you'll get bit.. The MS200 (rear handle version) is a nice saw. The only thing different is the tank and handle assy, but it sure makes a nice light powerful limbing saw. Expensive, but...

As has been said above, the 200T is a poor choice for work on the ground. It comes down to in which venue you'll use it the most. If you're gonna be in trees or on ladders (watch the ladders!) more than on the ground, then it'd be viable. But if clearing and limbing is going to be your main focus, get a rear handled saw. You'll appreciate it in every way. Now, for a rear handled saw, the 200 is an expensive alternative. It's designed for bucket work. If you're gonna go with a small, rear handled saw, you can get more hp for less money in several different saws-the MS 180, 210, 250, 260. Which one would depend on what you want to spend, and how much saw you need. Any of these saws would meet your needs.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
If you're gonna go with a small, rear handled saw, you can get more hp for less money in several different saws-the MS 180, 210, 250, 260. Which one would depend on what you want to spend, and how much saw you need. Any of these saws would meet your needs.

Jeff

That list of saws is almost like the what not to buy of saws, throw in a poulan and a crafstman and the list is complete.

Take a look at the rear handled Stihl ms200 or the Husky 336. Both good pro saws with lots of power for the weight.

Unless you're serious about climbing, stay out of the trees. That fact that you mentioned working off a ladder sent up huge red flags for all the climbers here, hence the warnings. Never work off a ladder! If you must, ladder up, tie in, take ladder away, then work.
If you have proper climbing gear, safety equipment, and you've gotten to be a competent climber, then look at a top handled saw, not before.

200T is a great saw that was really designed for pro use especially with the $500.00 price tag. The rear handle 200 is a sweet ground saw set up with a 16" bar, but again the $500 cost is involved. Working from a ladder with either of them is OK as long as you are tied in to the tree. Not my preference but some still do it. Search some threads about ladder injuries, they are quite a few. I would recomend either and you will be happy. The 192T is a top handle alternative to the 200T, a little more than 1/2 the cost of the 200T and a bit less power but another good saw in my opinion, especially for a part timer/ occasional user. As for the 2 saw setup, 1 small for limbing and 1 large on the ground, switching bars in the field can be a PIA. I prefer a 3 saw setup, small for limbing, medium for cutting on the ground and large for cutting up logs / wood. You are already 2/3 of the way there and simple maintainence on a saw is not that much work. Good luck and be careful.

Doesn't sound like you should get rid of your 028 av. If its as you say why get rid of it just to overpay for another stihl? Regardless of how wrong it is to use a saw on a ladder you should be able to use the o28 just as easy as the other new top handles your looking at. Sounds like you just got a new saw itch that you can't wait to scratch.

No need to bring Poulan/Craftsman issue into the question since it wasn't part of your question.

:p Thanks for all the great replies. I agree the top handle saw may not be the best choice for my application. The 028 has been great for ground work no complaints there except it is heavy for it's 43cc output. I don't have many big trees to cut and if they are really large I leave that to the pros. I used to cut the big ones till a 24" Doug fir got hung up in another tree a gust of wind came up the hill and it fell on me. But that's another story.

As for rope and spur climbing I won't be doing that either. I have view property and keep my trees topped at about 20 feet so I can see over them. They are mostly madrone a few small fir and cedars. The way I top them is I get up on the extension ladder, sometimes climb into the tree and hold on with one arm and use a small folding pruning saw and also a pole saw. This has worked out real well for me. One thing I don't need to worry about is kick back using the hand held pruning saw. Although my arm sure get's tired :dizzy: Any that are too large or tall I leave that to the pros to climb around in.

Looks like the 200T is not really the best choice for me. I still would like a lighter and hopefully more powerful saw then the 028 for ground work. Why is the MS200 rear handle saw so expensive for a 35cc saw? I don't really mind spending the money on a pro saw as I would like to keep it for 20 years! :)

view.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks TreeCo I will give that one try. Just looked at the model number of the one I have been using and it is a Silky Gomboy 9.5. You are right about Silky well worth the money and it really out cuts and out performs the cheapo walmart brand!

Please go get yourself a saddle and climbing line to tie in while cutting, 20' feet up with out a rope is not safe. You can buy a cheap, yet safe buttstrap saddle and a 70' piece of rope(gives you 30' doubled with tie in knot included) and a snap for probably less than $150.00. Not much $$ to spend to keep yourself safe. Nice view of the property.

stump doctor said:
Why is the MS200 rear handle saw so expensive for a 35cc saw? I don't really mind spending the money on a pro saw as I would like to keep it for 20 years! :)

Because it will last 1000 to 1500hrs (or more) if you look after it...

Mike Maas said:
That list of saws is almost like the what not to buy of saws, throw in a poulan and a crafstman and the list is complete.

For "very light limbing and brush cleaning" any of these would work, and work well. You don't need a 7900 or 460 for that. Even the Poulan or Craftsman would work.

Jeff

I too would suggest any of the smaller Stihls. I love using my MS170. I know it's a little on the weak side, but it is LIGHT. For the price I paid, It runs and starts great, and will cut up to a 10" log or so comfortably. If you want more power, then you could step up to the MS180, or even the MS210/250. I wouldn't suggest a MS260 simply because their pricy. If you'd be using them for hours on end in a professional environment, then there'd be no other choice, but for gerenal/occasional work, I couldn't justify the cost. I hope that helps.

Justin

Go with the MS200 ! This saw is lightweight and has very good power for its size. I like working with it more than my 361.
Expensive, but worth every penny.

just a thought.

I'm leaning towards the MS200 specially for it's lightweight size. And it's long lifespan. I did look into a climbing harness and will try to clip myself into the tree when ever possible. Thanks for all the great feedback. Will post some pictures in the for sale section for my 028AVS it's time to move on to something lighter.

fishhuntcutwood said:
With all this talk about the 200 and 200T, I had to...well....

If the weather's good, I'll have it up in some trees tomorrow.

Jeff

Nice pic, Jeff. I see you're allowed even to take your saws even into the living room !. :)

Jeff : you look like a a proud Father! Don't go getting that saw all dirty now :) and be carefull... typing on AS sucks with one hand.

Back