Seriously: Which saw is best??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SilverBox

SilverBox

ArboristSite Guru
I sold a muff modd'd mac 3200 to a guy that was about like that muff mod'd homelite in that video. He needed it to cut one tree. 3 days later he had it on craigslist for 15 less then he bought it off me for, I'm sure he sold it quick. Cheaper then renting a saw I guess, lol.

I still think ryobi is the way to go thu!!!
But that XM looks even badder azz then a wild thingy.. Where do you buy one of those AOD?

BrocLuno

BrocLuno

ArboristSite Operative
Go for it !!!

I have one of each for the reasons stated earlier. They're good loaners. But they DO really respond very well to the muffler mods. The EPA and CARB (Calif Air Resources Board) really hurt them bad. Free them up and they run :)

They're both light weight. The Ryobi is the better built of the two, but both are fine for occasional to semi-serious use. They take 3/8 x 0.050 chain. Slap a VX on either and they will cut after the mufflers have been mod'd.

You'll need a single D carb adjust tool for the Ryobi and a double D tool for the Homelite. The Ryobi has pretty high compression for a small motor, so it can be a bit of a pull.

For what it's worth, they are both made by the same multi-national:

TTI, North America
1428 Pearman Dairy Road
Anderson, South Carolina 29625

Same company the owns Milwaukee, Dirt Devil, AEG (Germany), Stiletto (Italy), and Hoover (USA). The Ryobi brand is still owned by Ryobi inside Japan (home market). Some parts are still sourced from their domestic production like the barrels and pistons, etc.

Pa's 87 years young and still cutting and he has one of the Homelite 4620's because it's light and easier for him to pull. He tossed his Mcculloch's and is down to his old Homies, this new one and a couple of hand me down Poulans. His serious felling days are long behind him. I'm 60, and I agree, that for some things light is nice.

One thing I can say is these motors are all sensitive to oil type. They'll coke the rings due to retained re-burn heat (EPA) if you don't use an ISO EG or EF oil. They won't tolerate outboard oil for very long at all :( They go bust by snagging the ring from coke build-up behind the ring. Bang, there goes your motor. I use Motul 710, but be warned about oiling and these lean burn EPA/CARB motors :dizzy:

spankrz

spankrz

ArboristSite Operative
The one you feel more comfortable with.

Picked up a poulan pro (38cc) form lowes on my way over to my cousins house. He had a tornado take the top half of 8 Oak trees and lay them all over his yard.

That little heep gets beet on all the time and keeps running (has to have over 160 bucked up trees on it). Don't leak so it stays in the jeep for emergency's, a backup for the just in case situations, and always great for small limbing. The best part my neighbor hardly can hear it. Thinking about it is about 8 years old, must have been made on a Wed.

Took down a Hemlock that had to be about 25" across, Ya I have and still try to kill it. It just wont die.:cry:

When it does die it will be replaced with an nice light limber for climbing. Will have to hide the 2 eager beavers from the wife to pull that off.:dizzy:

that saw must have gone off the line before poulan started to incorporate plastic pistons in their saws....

gunnarfan

gunnarfan

ArboristSite Guru
i saw something about a project 143 on this post. just checking to see if you are who i sold one two on ebay a while back. if so.. i'm still hunting for that oiler.

Same as a disposable razor, use them a few times and throw them away.
Not cost effective to do any work on, plastic is thin as possible, engines made as cheap as possible, just wallet robbing junk. If you have a small one time job rent a saw, save your money and by a Stihl or Husky later. It's a short term fix that will cost you twice as long term.

as far as all this craziness goes with the tinker tonka saws i'd be leary of any reconditioned home repot saws but thats just me.. i break them. i also have no love for the one lug saw. the only exception to a mini saw is a dolmar ps-400 series saw. zippy dee doo dah. i like popping out the plastic part at the air intake and reversing it for winter starts.

oh yeah.. and i've frigged with the homeowner huskys lately and starting was an adjustment. unfortunately the interface on the 576xp is the same thing which will be an adjustment for me from jred.

reference to anchors comes up on this site a lot.. my observation.

indiansprings

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
No, The Dolmar 143 was picked up at a yard sale by a friend for 5.00 and he gave it to me, I just need a coil to complete, then I could line the two plastic saws up do a timed test cutting them in half with the old beast.

BrocLuno

BrocLuno

ArboristSite Operative
Sorry, my bad ...

In my earlier post I said you'd need the Single D tool for the Ryobi and the Double D tool for the carb adjustments on the Homelite. NOPE- I was wrong.

Just got the Ryobi back from the field (loaned to a co-worker) and it was running a bit rough. I grabbed the Single D tool and nothing happened. Got out the flashlight and looked - it's Double D too. The same tool will adjust either Homelite or Ryobi carb :clap:

BrocLuno

BrocLuno

ArboristSite Operative
I've just been cutting a ton or four of Oak - phew!

So I have most of my saws out for the job. The 20"s for the butt ends and the 18" for everything else. The big old 24" Homie is broken. So will have to do with Craftsman, the Ryobi & new Homelite. PA got one of the new Homelites and he liked it, so I got one too.

Mod'd the muffler on the Homelite, didn't have to on the Ryobi (the Ryobi is technically not legal in Calif, means it's better than what is :(). Been using both pretty hard for a week now - chain a day on both. Pulling MPG mini370 chain on the Ryobi and Carlton on the Homelite.

The ryobi has won me over. Always starts first or second pull, idles all day long (yeah, I do my own carb adjustments), is comfortable, low vibration handy saw. Mine has an Oregon bar and the last of my mini370 chain, but the motor and controls have made me happy.

The Ryobi does have a Zenoah motor made in Japan. It also has a metal chassis buried inside the plastic. The back plate for the bar mount is an extension of the metal motor mount. Dual clamp bolts, outside adjuster with screwdiver tool. Oiler works great and it does not drool much at all.

I'd say it's an all around good small tree and limb saw. MUCH better made than the Homelite. AND you can still get a recon one from CPO for less than $90 plus shipping. It's a real saw for aborist work. It's not a timber saw, but at these prices, who cares :)

Last edited:
Stein

Stein

ArboristSite Operative
Well, it's midnight, I'm sitting in the shop drinking and reading AS. This thread just made me do this...

DSC01339.jpg

to this...:monkey:

DSC01340.jpg

We'll see what happens tomorrow when I am sober and I tune this thing.:popcorn:

Last edited:
BrocLuno

BrocLuno

ArboristSite Operative
Stein, looks like the outlet diverter was about 1/2 closed. Maybe wiggle a big screwdriver into the opening and spread it out a bit? You're lucky that you don't have to put up with Calif rules and low emission saws. they are seriously choked down :(

But that hole ought to work if you don't need a screen?

Last edited:

Latest posts