Setup to make Granberg style chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgive the extremely stupid question, but the ripping chain I use looks like normal chain save it a 10* angle. What are you trying to do with the chain set up in that direction, parallel with the grinder?

My milling saw is a 390XP & with a 36" bar it struggles with full comp. I have found the Granberg style chain lightens the load like using a skip chain while giving a slightly better finish than the skip tooth does
Hmm, I run that same set up cant say I had an issue with full comp, very slow, skip worked better. I'll have to try some of this chain out. Thanks guys, very useful

From what I could find, its hard to get that chain.
My local dealer (4th generation, family owned, saw shop) makes it up for customers, on request. I believe that they just hand hold the cutters up against the chain grinder to make the scoring cutters. The OP's set up looks like a better approach for doing this in volume.

Philbert

The first chain I made I used a bench grinder to grind the cutters down. This way is much quicker, heats the tooth a lot less & is more consistent & controllable. If I adapted a proper chain clamp with an adjustable stop to the base (like an electric bench sharpener has) I recon I could do a decent length chain in about 5 minutes

Again, very nice for production use. For someone making a 'one-off' chain to try, I assume that cut-off wheel(s) in a Dremel tool, with drive links clamped in a vise, would be a good option.

Philbert

I think you can see the dremel feeling left out in the background... My initial reason for setting this up was to remove the bumper fins on some safety chain I got cheap. It worked very well for that too. I'd hate to think how many of those little wheels I would have gone through grinding 60 odd bumper links on top of the 30 odd cutters

Most Dremel kits come with tubes of those thin, cut off 'wafer wheels' that don't last long on heavy cutting.

These last a lot longer: Dremel EZ456, 1 1/2-Inch, EZ - Lock Fiberglass Reinforced Cut-off Wheels
About $1 each, if you shop carefully, after you get the 'Starter Kit', with the spring loaded, EZ-Lock mandrel.
Just guessing, but I think that someone could get a whole chain out of one; maybe two of these at the most.
Screen shot 2021-01-27 at 3.27.41 PM.pngScreen shot 2021-01-27 at 3.35.14 PM.png

Philbert

Hey Philbert, you know if anyone has knocked off that granberg g777 guide? They want an arm and a leg for it. Might just have to make my own.

My milling saw is a 390XP & with a 36" bar it struggles with full comp. I have found the Granberg style chain lightens the load like using a skip chain while giving a slightly better finish than the skip tooth does
I'm surprised as a 390 with just a 36" bar should easily handle full comp.
Finish is mostly mill operator dependent.
This is my full comp finish out of the box.
Nicefinish.jpg

Back