shade tree for swingset

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LYNNEZ

Reaction score
I live in Northern Kentucky and I am looking for a shade tree to plant near our swingset. We just put in fairly large play area and it is in desperate need of shade. We need something that grows fast and can survive in clay soil. We would also like a tree that will grow to about 40 or so feet. Appreciate any advice.
Lynne

I think Kentucky Coffeetree would be too messy <g>. A safe play would be a white ash,'Autumn Purple' has good good form and does not get messy.

I'm fond of the swamp/burr oak, a natural hybrid of the two. It gets around 18 inches a year wich is fast for an oak.

One "trick" is to get a small tree, the "instant shade" of a big tree is offset by the stress of transplanting. A 1 inch tree has been shown to over take a 4 inch tree in university studies. trunck diamiter mesurments.)

Make sure the root flare is above ground when installing and do not pile the spoil dirt around the base of the tree, this practice kills trees 10 years down the road.

Back