Shag Bark Hickory Is Tuff Stuff!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:agree2:

I've run into some yellow birch that made me wish for twisted elm.
Yellow birch is tough, but I had no idea that any twisted (spiral grain) elm grew anywhere in Pennsylvania.

Psssttt... some of the best furniture I have ever made was crafted from yellow birch. I am working one now--a beautiful corner cabinet for a flat screen TV and stereo. :msp_biggrin:

As mentioned gum and elm are much tougher than hickory and there are others that get stringy and twisted sometimes. White oak can be stringy if the tree has grown in the open, instead of the middle of the woods. I often find more difficulty when splitting trees from fence rows or open fields. A good sharp hatchet helps when the strings are the problem. I also employ the duel pry bar method, using two 36" crow bars, inserted in the end of the split, facing opposite directions while the wood is still standing on end and has already been opened an inch or more with a wedge or maul. Pry simultaneously with each bar in opposite directions (the top of one bar is pushed away from you and the top of the other bar is pulled to you at the same time). Different size bars can be used. I simply like a matched set of 36" and have 2 dedicated to firewood.

As mentioned gum and elm are much tougher than hickory and there are others that get stringy and twisted sometimes. White oak can be stringy if the tree has grown in the open, instead of the middle of the woods. I often find more difficulty when splitting trees from fence rows or open fields. A good sharp hatchet helps when the strings are the problem. I also employ the duel pry bar method, using two 36" crow bars, inserted in the end of the split, facing opposite directions while the wood is still standing on end and has already been opened an inch or more with a wedge or maul. Pry simultaneously with each bar in opposite directions (the top of one bar is pushed away from you and the top of the other bar is pulled to you at the same time). Different size bars can be used. I simply like a matched set of 36" and have 2 dedicated to firewood.

--that's why I like my fiskars SS axe, you already have a sharp edge right there in your hands while splitting, just tap the wood threads a little to finish those gnarly splits.

I do like your twin crowbar idea though.

I don't know how anyone can split shag bark hickory with an axe. I've been using my tractor mount hydraulic splitter powered by my 30HP Kubota. The wood (storm felled trees) was cut into short lengths early last year. My hydraulic splitter splits it just fine but this wood is sinewy, stringy and tough. No wonder they use it for axe handles. Oak, maple and cherry are nothing compared to this stuff.

Is there anything tougher to split?

It can be done with an axe. Wait until the temps fall down into the teens and/or single digets, and spit it before its' fully seasoned. At that point, and axe will pop it apart just fine. Otherwise you need a maul, wedge, hydraulic splitter, or (my personal favorite) a saw big enough to noodle it with :)

Sweet gum is terrible to split with maul. Live oak is no fun either. The live oaks are bigger here in MS that most of the gums we have cut. The water oak and red oak split soo much better. We have a bunch of water oak down here. Seems like I can get the gum going with a maul and eventually split it. Some of the big pieces of live oak are a lost cause without a hydraulic splitter. We have a splitter, so I don't really use wedges anymore. I made a splitter to go on the front of my Toolcat to split the huge pieces into smaller pieces to carry to the hydraulic splitter.

Sweet gum is terrible to split with maul. Live oak is no fun either. The live oaks are bigger here in MS that most of the gums we have cut. The water oak and red oak split soo much better. We have a bunch of water oak down here. Seems like I can get the gum going with a maul and eventually split it. Some of the big pieces of live oak are a lost cause without a hydraulic splitter. We have a splitter, so I don't really use wedges anymore. I made a splitter to go on the front of my Toolcat to split the huge pieces into smaller pieces to carry to the hydraulic splitter.

You know we're gonna need some pics of your custom built splitter.

I don't know how anyone can split shag bark hickory with an axe. I've been using my tractor mount hydraulic splitter powered by my 30HP Kubota. The wood (storm felled trees) was cut into short lengths early last year. My hydraulic splitter splits it just fine but this wood is sinewy, stringy and tough. No wonder they use it for axe handles. Oak, maple and cherry are nothing compared to this stuff.

Yes. The piece after the one that just beat you up.

Give sweet gum a try and then tell me how easy hickory is to split.
+1
I have a lot of sweet gum in the area and i have developed a science to it. You have to cut it into rounds and let dry for a week or two then it will split with a splitter. The only shag bark hickory i have split was small 10" in diameter and the slitter went right threw it.

Latest posts

Back