Sharpening Gaffs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like mine sharp, but I'm not real heavy 185-190. I've run enough half sharp to dull ones in my life that when I get a sharp set on I'm like a kid in a candy store again, so now I just take the time to keep them sharp 100% of the time.

I like mine sharp, but I'm not real heavy 185-190. I've run enough half sharp to dull ones in my life that when I get a sharp set on I'm like a kid in a candy store again, so now I just take the time to keep them sharp 100% of the time.

Let go of my butterfinger ya hear me:monkey:

I inspect them regularly and run a file across them per Buckinghams instructions if they are dull or chipped up. A lot depends on how much tree work I'm doing, if I'm getting lazy while on the ground and leaving them on between climbs, if there are rocks on the ground, etc, etc. Seems to me like when I'm climbing full time they need lightly touched up about once every couple weeks or maybe a month. Mine are about 10 years old with maybe about 3 years full time service and used one to four times a month the other 7 years. I weigh about 170lbs. Other then needing new pads and straps, they seem to be in good shape with plenty of spike left. Matter of fact I kinda wish I had pole gaffs because the tree gaffs make my legs wobble when I'm on the skinny part of a tree.

I seem to have more kick outs or have them get stuck more often if I haven't climbed as much or all of sudden I climb a different type of tree, otherwise they seem to work fine once I get back into the swing of things. I haven't climbed a Shagbark Hickory in a long time but I always remember those as being a real pain to hook up.

Last edited:
How Often?

Used to sharpen every day or two, till they were not working so great any more. Bought new set and realized how big an idiot I'd been, walking from tree to tree with them on. Now they go on and off at the base of the tree, and never need sharpened. Rare occasion if I kick one into the other and roll the point, but then just needs a touch.

Back