Sharpening stihl RSC chain?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawnmaniac883

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well, this is the only chain I could get for my MS361 so I see it is a full chisel type now how the hell am I supposed to sharpen it? Looks like more than a round file required no? Best to let the dealer do it or will they screw up? Appreciate all comments.

Same file size as the stock safety chain? The profile seemed odd for it to take a round file but I am gonna go put a round file on it real quick and see if it looks right...appreciate the quick reply.

Well, I believe all 3/8 uses the same file, .325 uses the same file. I dont think it matters if its safety chain or not. What size chain are you using?

Chain is 3/8, looks to me like it does take a round file......just a different profile than the stock chain. Thanks for straightening that out :clap:

I would take it to the dealer and let him **** with it for $6.00 :rock: It ain't worth my time for that chump change :rockn: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

talon1189 said:
I would take it to the dealer and let him **** with it for $6.00 :rock: It ain't worth my time for that chump change :rockn: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Problem is most dealers take too much off and end up screwing the chain up more and more. Especially down here where they dont service as many chains as they would up north where there are more trees.

I will just file the suckers, It is definately worth my time, 5 minutes to have a razor sharp chain beats driving to the dealer.

Originally Posted by lawnmaniac883
Problem is most dealers take too much off and end up screwing the chain up more and more

I'll second that i havent got many chains back very sharp when dealer done em.Plus they dont do it on the spot.

Filing is the way to go if you cut very much. I had to learn this once i started cutting firewood to sell, and even large amounts for personal use. You want to touch up that chain every 2-3 tanks and take down the rakers ever 3-4 sharps. Round file is EASY free hand. I'm learning square chisel filing which is harder. Doesn't help that Baileys has my double beveled files back ordered. I've been wondering when RSC would come to my dealer. I'm thinking of getting a loop of some type of Stihl chain for my bow bar. The Oregon cuts great, but looks like it isn't getting enough oil on tope, and the stihl has the drive link holes or grooves for better oiling. I would gladly try a loop fo RSC or even RSC3 on the bow.

Back