shear type processors ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi I am also considering firewood processer I sold 50 crds last yr and could have sold 50 more extreamly cold here in mn last winter im thinking of buying the twich n split processer it does about a cord an hr with log straightner gate like the chomper this save a lot of time moving the log over with a cant hook or bob cat is a time saver this machine sells for 8600 and can spit log s and saw 22 inch diameter which is good for me I cut mostly dead fall and as far as the chain lasting 12 cords this might be possible with a carbide chain but very spendy instead get a carbide coated chain it will last at least 3 times plus as long and a lot less sharpening less down time than conventional saw chain it cost about 60 bucks for a 20 inch loop many places on the internet to buy it be for I would go into firewood bus. check out the state and national parks for packaged firewood they go on bids you can make a lot more money per cord you can buy a firewood raper for about 500 bucks nothing fancy though.the gentlemen obove is right the lumber market is flat I have a 128 moble dimension saw that I have to sell before I can buy the processor I will be doing firewood part time as I am semi retired and 100 to 150 cords a yr is my goal witch would more than pay for the processor about 70 or so break even after expences the rule of the tumb is about 30% expences if you harvest your own timber I will getting mine free she wants me to cut some brush for payment and will take little time I also have a boom truck and an old skidder as helper equipment and have sold wood off and on for 30 yrs my advice would be to buy a tracter with reverse loader on back instead of on the front you can skid log with this and load the processor as well or buy a 4 wheel drive loader and put a 12000lbs hyd winch in it I used the tractor reverse loader for a few yrs before I bought my skidder 20 some yrs ago it realy helps the firewood bus ps I have always sold as much as I can cut and by the way the best time to sell firewood is in feb why because most of the venders have run out of wood to sell price meets demand and you can charge a higher price I sold my last load 3 wks ago first part of April so good luck hang in there and thanks a bunch for serving our great nation people like you keep all of us free thanks again god bless............

I am like yourself and don't have the time or want to kill my body. I took the plunge and purchased big to start with. Its been a rough battle but this year may be the year going big has paid out. I purchased a Multitek 2025 with dump truck and now have gone to 2 trailers to keep the work to just weekends/evening work. I didn't have to purchase a loader due to my father in law owning a logging company, so I just use one of his spare porters to load the machine and the conveyor puts it right into the truck. I am currently trying to buy one though for reloading or another conveyor to put seasoned wood out in the winter months. It all comes down to how much risk you are personally comfortable with and how much you can sell the gear for if you decide it isn't for you. I do this as my side business and love every minute using the machine and no one telling me how or what to do, it is very rewarding work especially when customers call back complimenting on the quality of the wood and how much they enjoyed your service.

Back